main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2018 Oscars

Discussion in 'Community' started by Guidman , Jan 22, 2018.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The entire theme and tone is different. Get Out, at its core, is a send-up of white liberals and their attitudes about racial dynamics. Skeleton Key (which I did see in theaters when it came out) is at its core, a revenge story. They use similar elements but you're missing the forest for the trees.

Bacon164 and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  2. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Similar elements? The plot lines are identical. It's scene by scene the same, some scenes even staged the same way. Olympus Has Fallen and White House Down are much more dissimilar than this and I consider those the same movie.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wait, there are people who actually think White House Down is better than Olympus Has Fallen? Not that OHF is anything spectacular but, really? At least OHF had the good common sense to get the kid out of the film as early as possible and not keep dragging him back into the plot.

PCCViking likes this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Not to mention I think the terrorists in Olympus seemed a lot more menacing than the ones in White House Down (especially that one in WHD who was guarding the hostages).

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Having seen neither of them, I'm surprised at the number of people that have seen both of them.

6. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    If there's one movie I wish I had never seen, it would be "The Legend of Hercules." Dwayne Johnson's Hercules movie, which came out later that year, while not a classic, was Oscar worthy compared to LoH.

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    How did the Oscar thread get onto these 2 films , I mean I know they're both high-brow and have important messages for us all , but . . .

BigAl6ft6, MrZAP and SuperWatto like this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Because of Coco. Isn't the link obvious?

SuperWatto likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    OHF definitely had more menace to it- the action was much more aggressive and less "Hey, let's play Die Hard today guys!".

PCCViking likes this.
  10. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I can't get over how cool it is that Cuaron, Inarritu, and Del Toro all won Oscars in close succession.

11. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I've passed on OHF cuz I actually really loved the "Hey, let's play Die Hard today!" vibe of WHD. Like the movie is just nuts and legit fun. Terrorist take over the white house so the President has to arm themselves at one point is an inherently doofy concept so I went with the silly one. Also Roland Emmerich does silly action but sometimes he can choke on making it serious but this was all very winky.

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I guess I just don't know what exactly I'm supposed to do about the fact that some super-cool internet people have decided that Get Out is kind of the same idea as The Skeleton Key. Well, except it's science instead of voodoo and the racial element isn't really there in one of them and the ending is the opposite to the other one and one has a lot of comic elements and the other has none, but otherwise, they're literally the same movie!! Some of the shots are even the same; and it's not like genres like "horror" often have a single treasury of techniques to draw from! Anyway, they're the same movie. Is the implication that I need to like Get Out less or that it's somehow no longer a great movie? The Skeleton Key is a fairly effective thriller elevated by a surprisingly grim ending. Get Out is superior in every way and is successful in several ways that The Skeleton Key does not even attempt to be. So . . . The Skeleton Key should have been nominated for Best Picture the year it came out? Peele needs to give back his Screenplay Oscar? Only movies that do something for which there is not a single precedent deserve to be honored? Once a movie has hit certain story beats, no other movie is allowed to hit those beats in a more sophisticated way? I'd say people need to just figure out that there are things like common stories, common techniques and no movie is "the same movie" as any other movie, not even straight remakes. Particularly not in a case where one is obviously far more sophisticated and thoughtful than the other. Sorry, but I find those "same movie" videos/articles to be almost unbearably tiresome. Get Out is a masterpiece; The Skeleton Key is a fairly effective thriller. Anybody who tries to say they're the "same" movie is nutty.

BigAl6ft6, Bacon164, MrZAP and 3 others like this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    And white, I’ll bet.

MrZAP and dp4m like this.
  15. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    They're the same movie in that, if you have seen the one, you know all the plot beats that will happen in the other one, when they will happen, in what order they will happen, who will do them and how they will happen. One of them has social commentary grafted to the dialogue, which makes it genius I guess. The kid is a visionary.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I just hate that we live in such an ultra-politically correct world that we rush to throw accolades at the person with the right biography and ignore real innovators who originated the ideas.

Goes to dance to Elvis Presley’s “You Ain’t Nothing But a Hound Dog.”

Rogue1-and-a-half and Bacon164 like this.
  17. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Yes, Wocky. I am a racist Iranian towelhead cameljockey. A person who is routinely the target of suspicion because of my surname and where I'm from, and belongs to arguably the only kind of ethnicity even lower on white people's totempole of racial hierarchy than Africans, is a racist. That's what's happening here. You got me.

And in this analogy, wouldn't Get Out be the Elvis song since the other movie is older?

18. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    [/scratches head ] :confused:

19. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I guess this what happens when you dive bomb in to make a post.

@Violent Violet Menace , I'm very sorry. I didn't mean to come after you with the post. I enjoy reading your viewpoint in a lot of general instances, and have particularly appreciated your input on a lot of issues of diversity and culture that have come up in board discussions. Even if we disagreed, it wouldn't be my intention to demean or besmirch you.

That said, I know nothing about this debate. I haven't read it even in substantial part, nor have I seen the second film being referred to. I was just scanning through threads and reading casually, when I stumbled across Rogue1.5's point. I appreciated a lot of his points, and it what it brought to mind for me was sort of a mirror image debate originality and credit from an earlier era. I thought it would be fun to reference as an ironic joke, and didn't give things any more thought than that. Evidently, I should have.

20. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  22. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    To me, all comparisons between movies and giving them awards is like that.

23. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Is like Tom Cruise hugging someone?

24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    That, too

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    do you think val kilmer is on his knees there or is tom cruise standing on a stack of phone books?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.