main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Oct 24, 2017.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Mixed Biathlon relay will likely see the first triple gold medalist of these games, either France‘s Fourcade or Germany‘s Laura Dahlmeier.

Germany currently in lead with the fourth and final skier under way, two rounds of shooting to go.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If you don't like Tara and Johnny, you have no soul! :p

3. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I love how much they explain. It really helps you gain an appreciation for what those skaters are doing out there, and their excitement when someone does something amazing is so refreshing. American commentators have been so blah in the sports I watch. It is nice to have some that act like they care and seem to be on the ice with the skaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pensivia likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, also, the problem with Hamilton is that he abjectly tried to avoid insulting people -- to the point of not criticizing obvious flaws in routines (especially for Americans). And now when he tries to do it, he sounds actually "bitchy" whereas Johnny and Tara don't sound mean in their criticisms.

5. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Dick Button was the best color commentator in any sport, ever. Absolute class, smart as hell, criticized without demeaning, explained without condescending.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I kinda wanna hear Gus Johnson calling Curling. And Figure Skating.

Juliet316 and Luke02 like this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Tara/Johnny on the Masters...

Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  8. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Germany‘s final skier blew a seemingly insurmountable lead in the mixed Biathlon relay. Fourcade ended up blowing away to take his third gold, while the German faded badly to fourth. Ouch.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Norway and Germany are taking up so much room on the gold medal podium, it's great when anyone else can squeeze on there.

yankee8255 likes this.
  10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    There's a guy called Dick Button ?

11. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    How pathetic do you have to be to dope just so you can finish third in curling? Wtf.

Pensivia, Rylo Ken and Juliet316 like this.
  12. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Right... I wouldn't mind them so much if they talked a bit less and Mr. Weir stopped trying to emulate Stanley tucci.

13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Again Tara/Johnny only get to do the Masters if Sir Nick/McCord/Baker Finch are allowed to comment on figure skating.

Getting more honked off on how the US Men’s hockey team was built by the day. By far their best players are the young college kids who absolutely fly up and down the ice. They should built the team around youth and gone with the best college kids we have, not get a bunch of wash up professionals from Europe.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am still shocked that Germany and Canada tied for Gold.

yankee8255 likes this.
  15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I don't know... after this last season I'd be interested to see what Tony Romo did with figure skating.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  17. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    WTF did I just read? It's possibly the most ridiculous "think"-piece I've ever read. My only response is "who ****ing cares, and more than that, why should you care?"

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Have... have you not been online in the last week or so? Apparently the Canadians take it even more seriously! It was just about the best laugh I've had today...

Pensivia likes this.
  19. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I got the impression the author wrote the article for the same reason Larry David wanted a show on HBO: so he could say the f-word as often as possible.

Violent Violet Menace and Luke02 like this.
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, I think Virtue & Moir probably created the "beast with two backs" at least once. I mean, they spent so much time together and during their adolescent years where they have an itch that needs to be scratched. But, it's really none of the public's business if they did the nasty.

They did have a great performance last night and barely won the gold. However, if it were not for that wardrobe malfunction by the French team during the short program, they may have won the gold. The Shib Sibs did well enough to take home the bronze as they're not at the level of the Canadian and French teams. Tough fall for US' Chock & Bates as their skates collided. It was the second time I've seen pairs fall. The other time was the Chinese team when they were dancing to a Star Wars medley.

According to an article I read and according to the dating app, "Bumble," Alpine skiers are hooking it up at the Olympics.

Happy the Mens US Hockey made it to the semi-finals with their win over Slovakia, but I more thrilled about the US Womens Hockey team making it to the Gold Medal game and getting another crack at Canada.

And probably somewhat the most unremarkable thing to take place at this Olympics, is the Oakland woman representing Hungary in the womens halfpipe. Credit to her for working the system and getting to the Olympics, she's living life.

And I can't believe this:
    Russian curler who won Olympic medal suspected of doping puts sport under scrutiny

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Curling. Curling of all things.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Probably why he thought he could get away with it.

Really bad for the Russian competitors, as I heard the Olympic committee was considering allowing the athletes from Russia to walk in the Closing Ceremony under the Russian flag. Doubt that will happen now.

23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Sith_Sensei__Prime

Summer Sanders admitted she had a lot of fun at the Barcelona games and that was over twenty five years ago. I could not even imagine what it is like with dating apps and universal translators.

The men's team btw just qualified for the quarterfinals since that was the knockout round game they just won. At least they won two games and think they have a decent chance against the Czech Republic to make the semi finals.

And when it comes to curling, I cannot read or see that sport without about Lewis Black had to say about it on his "White Album". :p

24. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Those performance enhancers must have given him mad brooming endurance.

25. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Re: hosting of the masters. Dan Hicks would probably be very entertained if that happened, sure.