main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Oct 24, 2017.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I loved Shaun going balls out in his 2nd run because the pressure was on and he has an awesome first score just in case. When he came out that third time and nailed it, it was a fantastic feeling to watch so actually chasing that feeling is probably why those men and women compete.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Juliet316 like this.
  2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Shaun's run was amazing (I commend him for getting back into the saddle after his forehead injury in New Zealand.) It was great to see him earn that gold.

I hope the Japanese snowboarder who got hurt is okay.

3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm not against inadvertent flag dragging, or even intentional flag dragging for that matter, but the sexual harassment settlement is not something that anyone is going to sweep under the rug in the new cultural climate. I know rock bands don't usually have well written human resource handbooks, but still.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    The US Men’s Hockey looked slow and quite frankly not that great. I really did not like how they built the team bringing in a bunch of non-NHL professionals from Europe in. Should just went straight kids and just liked to skate past everyone with young legs and speed.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Is it bad that when I read the US won their 100th Gold Medal in the Winter Games, my immediate reaction was "closing them in on Michael Phelps' total for the Summer Games"?

Juliet316, cubman987 and ma_petite like this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    gary bettman is trash

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That half pipe competition was great. Really thought the Japanese competitor really showed.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @DarthIntegral

And a lot of those gold medals have come in the last 15 plus years as the United States Olympic Committee has made a big push to be better at the Winter Games. Didn’t hurt either they added the X-Games in 2002 something were actually good at.

@heels1785

While I totally agree, Bettman is not the reason why the NHL Players set out this time. The IOC would not pay the insurance for the players which they needed since about 7 guys went out with season ending injuries during the 2014 Games. Until they are willing to pay it, the NHL players will not go. Therefore will never see NHL players again in the Winter Olympics and have to put up with B-grade hockey. I am still excited for the tournament but it’s not the same. That 2010 Gold Medal Game was the greatest game ever played IMHO. You never see that much talent all on the ice together in their primes for the most part playing a more meaningful game. Such a shame.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    $20 million. that's what the CBC estimates it would have cost to pay for travel, accommodations, and insurance. split that up among 31 franchises, and you're looking at a very affordable piece of pie for these owners.

imagine the exposure/ticket sales/etc that the league would haul in from the exposure of the Games.

luke, this outlines the situation as well as i've seen it:
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-olympics-dispute-1.4054830

the league, and bettman, certainly share some blame. i'd say a lot of it.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Ken, did you mean to post this in the Olympic thread?

Rylo Ken likes this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, because Shaun White has tried to sweep it under the rug..

Master_Lok likes this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    yes he has

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Okay, the story just came across my newsfeed. *Winces* He called it 'gossip?'. Oh, boy.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I was happy for Shaun White when he nailed his third run. There was alot of pressure and a great sense of redemption after not earning a medal in Sochi. Moreover, White probably knows this will be his last Olympics and probably his last real shot at a gold medal as there is so much young talent gunning after him. So, I understand the outburst of emotions when he received his final score that secure him a gold medal. Dude, was lost in his emotions. But, when I saw that he let the flag touch the ground, I knew that there was going to be a backlash. It's par for the course. And then he continued to drag the flag around for a long TV while as he walked from the bottom of the half pipe to his family. I don't believe White had any ill will or disrespect for the flag. It was just a brain fart. White has represented the United States very well over the past twelve years or so. He's come along way since the "Flying Tomato."

As for the White's third run, I was so upset there was an immediate reply of the his run as it was pretty epic with the back-to-back 1440s. Perhaps NBC just wanted to focus on the live feed on Shaun White to get his reactions to his final score, but even after that there wasn't any replay. Every other snowboarder had an instant replay of their final run, except of White.

I didn't have much interest in the pairs figure skating because the US didn't have a shot at a medal but it was nice for the US skaters to have their Valentines Day moment on the ice. However, it their post skate interview was sweet and kind of funny as they were soaking the moment in and had this exchange with each other:

Chris also said he whispered “great job and Happy Valentine’s Day” to her after their short program.

Her response? “I told him the only thing that would top this is having a child on Valentine’s Day!”

15. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Meanwhile, on nbcsbn, they were broadcasting curling...

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    curling is the only sport i've been watching.

DarthTunick likes this.
  17. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    They have been playing it so much I’m now actually enjoying it in small doses. There is a tremendous amount of skill involved.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It's interesting what happens when a network gives an Olympic sport that's been overlooked coverage.

19. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Where’s the cowbell for the downhill races? And why does Bode Miller sound like he’s falling asleep

20. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    yes. I was wondering the same thing! it's just not the same without it lol

speaking of nostalgia for past Olympic downhills...I still miss the pink-striped suits from '84:p:

[​IMG]

21. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Some feisty gals here in Canada vs USA hockey.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  22. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Wow, what an emotional finish to the pairs competition! Touching to see Savchenko's reaction to finally winning gold at her fifth Olympics!

23. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    How about the Spyder suits? I liked those...

[​IMG]

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Pensivia like this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    SHIFFRIN!!!

Rylo Ken likes this.
  25. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    What happened to that competition where you x-country ski, down hill ski, and ski jump?