main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316 , Oct 24, 2017.

1. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    That's the Nordic Combined and they've only done one part of it so far.

2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    And it's not downhill "just" cross country and ski jumping.
    It should be said thought that when both the alpine and biathlon had to cancel, then the nordic combined went through with both ski jumping and cross country without a problem. I definitely understand why it's been hailed as the toughest sport in the Olympics.

Frenzl of Germany won before Watabe of Japan. I'm really looking forward to the team competition since Germany isn't as dominating as the last seasons, Austria and Norway has strong teams, and France has a solid and even team with atlhetes regularly making the top 10 even if they are't winning individual podiums.

yankee8255 and Pensivia like this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Been watching speed skating and skeleton bob this morning..

Juliet316 and Pensivia like this.
  5. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    And a surprising gold for Hanna Öberg in the ladies biathlon 15 km! Just like Samuelsson, that took the silver in the pursuit, she's really just there to gain experience. Well can't be any better experience than winning the gold.

6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    that's a tough schedule for the women alpine events:

Last night: GS
    today: slalom
    tomorrow: super G

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Women's Giant Slalom is on Eurosport 1 now. I've given up on the BBC coverage. Every time I put it on it's either ice hockey or figure skating.

8. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm glad that I play för eurosport platser every winter, gives me a streaming for all sports during the Olympics, so I can sneakily stream everything at work.

Skickat från min SM-A520F via Tapatalk

Pensivia likes this.
  9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Those snowboarders are something else , just amazing the stuff they do .

conversely the thing where someone lies down on a trolley and goes down a toboggan run are just lazy and boring , who the hell invented that ?

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The one I don't get is doubles luge. Singles luge, yes - I like that. Two guys lying on top of each other on a sled? I don't get the appeal.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'll show you.

DarthIntegral and gezvader28 like this.
  12. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    er... you sure you were on the right channel ?

DarthIntegral and Diggy like this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The Women Canada vs. USA matchups/rivalry is legit. That was a well earned high sticking penalty from the US team. There was a lot of unfriendly shoulder blocks during the match. The score could have been more lopsided if there weren't crease violations on two of Canada's goals. The US had their opportunities with a penalty shot and a couple of power plays. The US definitely didn't want to leave the ice in defeat as they desperately tried to score a game tying goal in the closing seconds leading the game to end up with a pile up of like 7 player in Canada's goal crease. It was intense. Hopefully they'll both meet up in the gold medal game.

I also caught the curling match up between the GBR and the USA women teams. The UK team was definitely verbalizing their strategy and taking their time to ensure it was the best course of action.

I was hoping to catch some of the pair figure skating, but I watched NBA basketball instead.

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yep on the luge. One of many articles. Just a note that there is no women's version of this in the Olympics.

15. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    well there you go - more sexism .

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Either that or the women aren't crazy enough to want to do this.

Master_Lok, Juliet316 and Luke02 like this.
  17. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Well the luge federation has the mixed double event, which the IOC did not want in the Olympics because it could upset people to see a man and a woman piled up on a sled in skintight suits.

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I haven't seen that one..

19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Similiar note: The World Championships have synchronized figure skating as a event but not the Olympics. The International Figure Union is hopeful that the IOC will make it a event for the 2022 Winter Games.

Pensivia likes this.
  20. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Can they choose their positions ?

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Tonight, I'll be tuned in to see Nathan Chen's short program to see if he can perform as well as he did in previous championship competitions, as well as shake off his poor performance in the team competition.

I'll also check out Mikaela Shiffrin to see if she can win another goal. I wish she could wear the Captain Marvel outfit.

Pensivia likes this.
  22. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  23. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    ^Oh, that would be great! I was just wondering the other day (while watching the pairs competition) if there was such a thing as synchronized figure skating. I for one would love to see that...I'm already a fan of synchronized swimming in the summer games:p

And RE the other "weird" sports like doubles luge, etc...that's actually one of the things I love most about the Olympics--not doubles luge specifically (though I would watch that too if I had the time and access:p), but just all the "obscure" sports that you don't see at any other time. All part of the Olympics magic for me:D

mavjade likes this.
  24. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Snowboard racing is so damn cool to watch!

Did Mikela finish her other event yet? If so did she medal?

25. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Not done yet.

And maybe now they'll stop pestering us and reminding of the 2006 Torino showboating failure. Forth in the world is still awesome.