main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2024 Summer Olympics host watch

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Feb 24, 2017.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Budapest is out, leaving L.A. & Paris as the only 2 contenders

The End of the Olympics As We Know It

Even with the more serious security issue, I can see sentiment swinging towards Paris, given that they haven't the Games since 1924; I think they'll get it. Despite the great venue situation out here (which would included that new NFL stadium in Inglewood, that'll be completed in 2019), it's doubtful that financial success of '84 would be repeated; there's too the negative effect Trump could have on a L.A./USA bid.

Darth Basin likes this.
  2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I vote Paris as I can get there really easily

Darth Basin likes this.
  3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The IOC's demands on host cities are so onerous that I hope that one of the two remaining cities drops out so that the remaining one has all the leverage to refuse their crap.

jcgoble3, True Sith and Darth Basin like this.
  4. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Whoever doesn't end up with the 2024 Games may very likely get them in 2028.

Darth Basin likes this.
  5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998

Actually this isn't quite true. The IOC has realised that there is a big problem with the last Olympics just going to authoritarian regimes, because nobody else wants to take the costs for them. For that reason the IOC is going to pay a larger share of the money to the host and they are also working with the hosts to come up with bids that mostly make use of excisting facilities. They have also been on a marketing campaign to certain former Olympic hosts to convince them to bid again. I know this from what's going on around the 2026 Winter Olympics bid, but I assume it's the same for the 2024, and that definitely explains why LA and Paris are the main contenders.

edit/ and for a candidate city to refuse in order to put more leverage on the IOC. That is basically what happened when Oslo backed out from the 2022 bid, giving it to either Almaty or Beijing. When the world's most fierce winter sport nation, with a lot of excisting facilities, didn't want to host the Olympics, that sent a signal to the IOC that something had to change.

6. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I'm ppretty sure my USA will never get the games again. Unless the Feds go after the IOC like they did FIFA.

7. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    I don't know much about the financial issues. But, just watching an Olympics in own city as a local (Vancouver 2010 :D) was a pretty damn cool experience. :)

And, I think, it was actually good for Vancouver too, put us on the global map, just as the World Expo did back in the 80s. I am glad we had an Olympics here.

8. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

Do keep in mind, the winter games are much cheaper then the summer games.

9. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I have to wonder how secure that Paris bid is also. Who knows what the new government's position on it will be after the election there.

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I think both the LA and Paris bids could be the "future" of Olympic host bids. Both can use plenty of existing infrastructure - moreso LA, honestly - to host the games and not have to invest all that much into new stadiums and the such. There's no reason L.A. needs to build a single new building. The L.A. Collesuem can hold the Opening/Closing Ceremony and the Athletics with no issue. The Staples Center, Stubhub Center, Rose Bowl, and so many others are easily integrated. Paris has similar venues. What I think you'll see going forward is the massive builds that we saw in Brazil which now, just six months later, are vacant and decaying.

At least, hopefully, that's what we'll see.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Los Angeles ended the 1984 games with a surplus because they used existing facilities. If they can manage that again, I don't see a problem with the city hosting the 2024 games.

12. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Doesn't the IOC demand "new" though? Or at least "fully remodeled"?

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    L.A. will be hosting in 2028

All the local wrangling out here will be fascinating, because even without the need to build new venues, too much of the local infrastructure is in a terrible state... I'd imagine the powers-to-be would want that to improve drastically by 2028, though of course it shouldn't take the Games to make that happen. Barring calamity, it'll be intriguing to live through an Olympics in town... I hope the Valley gets to host an event or two. :p

heels1785 likes this.
  14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    so predictably this thread was all about you and not actually who is hosting the olympics in 2024. :p

DarthIntegral likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What else could be more in line with the spirit of American Olympics coverage?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    It's the overlap of the Ender/Tunic posting Venn Diagrams.