main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

23 years ago today, Empire Opened

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, May 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Less drank!
    23 years ago today Empire opened across the US! WOW!!! has it really been that long?

(over at my site its being released today!)

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    *drinks* Woo!

3. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    23 years since the first big appearance of Ian McDiarmid's brilliance!! [face_love] [face_love]

4. young_padme

young_padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2002
    In history, I have to do a group newpaper project on the '80s and lucky I was able to talk them into letting me do a story on Empire Opening... after all it was the best movie ever made... ;)

23 yrs of awesomeness....

5. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Wow, it is slightly more than 3 years older than me.

I keep on forgetting that the movies came out in the 70s/80s since I first remember seeing them in the 90s. :(

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    23 years since the first big appearance of Ian McDiarmid's brilliance!!

Um... you mean the brilliance of an old woman, a chimpanzee and Clive Revill. Ian wasn't in ESB. But I hope they put him in.

Anyway, happy belated birthday, ESB. You're not my fave, but it's nice that we can have one Star Wars movie that nobody bashes mercilessly.

Irvin Kershner loves you!

7. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Um... you mean the brilliance of an old woman, a chimpanzee and Clive Revill. Ian wasn't in ESB. But I hope they put him in.

OMG!!!!!!!!!

This is the biggest error I've ever made!! :eek:

I thought this thread dealt with ROTJ's 20th anniversary! I completely misread it!

Oh well...

*kills himself*

8. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    yay!!!!! happy bday ESB!!!

9. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    *sniff-sniff* Memories....

Never was I more mad walking about a movie than I was 23 years ago this night.

10. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    You were "mad walking about a movie"? ?[face_plain]

Happy birthday ESB. *drinks*

I was all of four years old at the time I first saw the film.

11. plutoneam

plutoneam Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2003
    I remember the first time I saw it. I think the year was 1998. I rented the SE trilogy from blockbuster. I already saw the climax of ROTJ, so the father thing wasn't a surprise to me. :(
    I used to play with the action figures to no end. I would watch one of the movies every other day during the summers.
    *sigh* Those were good days...good days.
    *sheds a tear*
    THANK YOU GEORGE LUCAS!

12. BosskRulestheWorld

BosskRulestheWorld Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2003
    My first time seeing Empire was in either 93 or 94. I was flipping through the channels and it was on HBO. It was at the part of the Luke/Vader lightsaber duel just before he got knocked through the glass, so the whole "I am your father" thing didn't have any real impact on me. Similar thing happened with Return of the Jedi. I flipped through the channels and caught it in the middle of the speeder bike chase. I finally saw all of both later that week, Empire first then Jedi the next day I think. Didn't see ANH at all until maybe a year later when USA finally showed it......Jedi was my favorite until I saw ANH....then it became my favorite until...probably after I saw Phantom Menace. Then I realized how much better Empire was and since then it's been my favorite and the one I watch most often,especially when I want to be inspired to write. Not sure why it took so long for me to like it most,though....it had BOSSK for crying out loud. BOSSK!!!!!!!!

13. sellars1996

sellars1996 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Still my favorite SW movie for the memories I have of watching it that summer as a ten year old.

Mention the summer of 1980 to anyone from Texas and they'll remember the terrible heat wave where we had a record number of consecutive days where the high temperature was over 100 degrees. All I remember is that when I was not swimming, I was playing with my SW figures, watching TESB in the air conditioned comfort of the theatres, and wondering if Darth Vader was really Luke's dad.

Thanks for the memories, George Lucas and Irvin Kershner!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.