main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Silent Raindrops. Obi-Qui. MUSH, drama. Completed 051806. Love awakens, and is hidden.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Valairy Scot, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Title: Silent Raindrops
    Author(s): Valairy_Scot
    Timeframe: JA
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn
    Genre: mush
    Keywords: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon
    Summary: One sick, and one worried Jedi, and then the reverse. The fear of loss makes one Jedi realize how much he loves, and how he dares not admit it, for to love and lose will destroy him. Not until the sequel does he realize that denial of love is not the solution to avoiding pain.

Notes: This story sprang from a few paragraphs in To Spare His Heart.

Edited to add: I wrote a backstory to this, too, sigh, about the plant. The Green Leaves of Summer

Chapter 1.

"Master Jinn. Padawan Kenobi."

There was a resigned sigh from the healer at the reception desk in the healer?s ward.

?Which one of you needs a bed this time?? It was a rhetorical question, for the large Jedi master, while upright on his own feet, was being supported by the slight body of his young apprentice. The healer didn?t know which one to feel most concerned about: Qui-Gon with his drawn and pale face or Obi-Wan with his worrying eyes.

?I?m not ?.? Qui-Gon started to say, interrupted by, ?he?s sick,? from his padawan.

?One of you is always sick or hurt, and the other worried,? the healer said, grabbing a datapad. ?Symptoms, etc. ? you know the drill by now.?

?Weak, coughing, achy,? Obi-Wan said helpfully. ?Dizzy. Started just after we returned from Ounaura.? He was referring to their last mission. They had only returned two days previously, unscathed and unharmed, much to the relief of the healer?s ward, who had again braced themselves for the return of Jinn-Kenobi. They were just about to celebrate the absence of the team, and now - here the two were. Predictable.

?Follow me, boys,? the healer said dryly, and led them to a room. Indicating that Qui-Gon was to sit, he took his temperature and pulse. ?Yes, you?re sick,? he confirmed. ?I see you?re prepared ? you brought your night clothes. We?ll put you in room 10 and you can change into them. You?ll have it to yourself ? it?s kind of quiet around here now. Or was.?

He turned to Obi-Wan and peered at him. ?You. Padawan ? feeling okay??

?I?m fine,? Obi-Wan said. ?Is my master just sick or did he catch something nasty??

?Too soon to say. We?ll take a few swabs, run a few tests,? the healer responded cheerily. ?Probably just something that?ll run its course within a few days, but since he?s sick enough to show up here, we want to be sure it?s nothing that will turn into something more serious. You just returned from Ounaura, right? No nasty bugs there? Nothing toxic in the environment there I?m aware of, and you?re both current on all your shots, aren?t you??

All Jedi were given vaccinations, as well as booster shots, against all known diseases that there were vaccines for - no one knew where a Jedi might end up or in what conditions. There wasn?t much that could be done to protect one against environmental hazards ?parasites and bacterium, or strange foods ?but what could be protected against, was.

Sometimes, though, a Jedi came into contact with something previously unknown, or had some reaction to something that no one else did. Bug bites for one. Healer Harold remembered the large, itchy welts that had so tormented Obi-Wan some months back ? bugs they had originally thought.

?You didn?t bring any unusual plants back with you, did you?? the healer asked, referring to that incident. It had turned out to be an allergic reaction to the sap of some plant that Qui-Gon had brought back from somewhere. They?d had to practically sedate Obi-Wan to keep him from scratching his skin into shreds before they?d traced the skin irritation to its source. The sap had gotten transferred from Qui-Gon?s hand to Obi-Wan somehow, probably some teasing touch or hand to hand fighting exercises. Once they?d traced the s

2. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Great line! Our favourite Master-Padawan-Team keeps the healers busy - good job ;)

Very nice first chapter, Valairy_Scot! (And I'm the first to review [face_dancing] ) I hope there will be more soon!
    I loved the exchange between Qui and Obi about the plant, I can guess that it was indeed difficult for Qui-Gon which one to keep, Obi-Wan or the plant ;)

3. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Lovely!
    It's funny to see how matter of fact the healers took it- i do believe our favourite team is becoming, dare i say it, predictable! and i loved the plant issue- lovely banter! oh dear, qui-gon i'm worried about his policy about not letting obi-wan know how much he cared- though you've really made his reasons convincing- i'm a little [face_worried]

can't wait to see the next one!

4. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Wonderful...

More soon?

-DS

5. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awwwww...this was so sweet.

I loved the bond between Qui and Obi.

And the plant story was perfect Qui-Gon!

Very nice job

=D= =D= =D= =D=

6. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

?You didn?t bring any unusual plants back with you, did you?? the healer asked, referring to that incident. It had turned out to be an allergic reaction to the sap of some plant that Qui-Gon had brought back from somewhere. They?d had to practically sedate Obi-Wan to keep him from scratching his skin into shreds before they?d traced the skin irritation to its source. The sap had gotten transferred from Qui-Gon?s hand to Obi-Wan somehow, probably some teasing touch or hand to hand fighting exercises. Once they?d traced the source of the padawan?s intense discomfort, they forced Qui-Gon to discard the plant.

Apparently, Obi-Wan hadn?t forgotten that incident either.

The young padawan turned long suffering eyes on his master and said in a most emphatic tone, ?He would not dare. It broke his heart to give that plant up ? I could see his eyes going between that plant and me and trying to decide what to keep. He was torn between it, and me.?

?Now, now padawan, it wasn?t that hard a decision,? Qui-Gon said quietly. He sighed. ?It was a really nice plant, though.?

The healer and Obi-Wan exchanged glances, shaking their heads. The Jedi master was probably, of all the living Jedi, the one most attuned to the Living Force and taking something living away from him was like ripping out his heart.

?You hesitated, Master,? Obi-Wan accused, hiding a grin. ?I thought you were going to ask Master Yoda to find me a new master.?

?Brat. You know better.? It was said kindly. He placed a gentle hand on his padawan?s shoulder and lightly squeezed it. ?When I realized no other master would provide you with the proper guidance, I had no choice but to retain you. Padawan mine.? The twinkle in Qui-Gon?s eyes was pronounced, and Obi-Wan rolled his eyes.

[face_laugh][face_laugh]That was so cute! Just love the banter between Qui-Gon and Obi and the poor healer :D Excellent job! Can't wait for more!

7. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    But now was not the time. Obi-Wan needed to be protected from the knowledge of the absolute and total power he carried within him.

Nice explanation for the lack of mush in TPM....It does seem so sad that they dont appear that close until Qui wipes the tear away as he dies.....I love it!

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    ?Which one of you needs a bed this time?? It was a rhetorical question, for the large Jedi master, while upright on his own feet, was being supported by the slight body of his young apprentice. The healer didn?t know which one to feel most concerned about: Qui-Gon with his drawn and pale face or Obi-Wan with his worrying eyes.

?I?m not ?.? Qui-Gon started to say, interrupted by, ?he?s sick,? from his padawan.

?One of you is always sick or hurt, and the other worried,? the healer said, grabbing a datapad. ?Symptoms, etc. ? you know the drill by now.?

Ah, our favorite boys are at it again! [face_laugh]

Wonderful! =D=

Can't wait for more. ;)

9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Someday, I'm going to have to work at work. This story inspired a short story regarding the plant, The Green Leaves of Summer

Fifilla: Our favourite Master-Padawan-Team keeps the healers busy - good job That's the idea.
    I can guess that it was indeed difficult for Qui-Gon which one to keep, Obi-Wan or the plant See, The Green Leaves of Summer

Stella_Ripple: Glad you love the banter, thanks.

Darksaber: More next week. I think this is 7 chapters in all, about 30 pages.

Kelia: I thought the plant story went well, too.

Layren: Lots of banter potential in young Obi-Qui - the more, the better, I say.

Lady_Snow_Kayuga: Nice explanation for the lack of mush in TPM....It does seem so sad that they dont appear that close until Qui wipes the tear away as he dies.....I love it!
    I agree, going strictly by the movie, you'd never know they had "that" close a relationship, more or less mentor/student. It's fanfic and JA that has a loving relationship between the two. In TPM, even, Qui is not nice to Obi in the Council chamber or when leaving Coruscant, though he is nice on the balcony sunset scene and when dying (but even then, he only speaks of training Anakin).

VaderLVR64: You're back, welcome my master (you'll always be [:D]). Yup, our favorite boys are at it again. Now, I've given you mush as requested. That means you have to go read that dramatic (cough) 2nd Person and 3rd Person POV sad and emotional story I PM'd you about, ok? Innocence Lost

10. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Awwwww, very sweet. Qui-Gon wasn't too sick but Obi-Wan was right there him. So sad to think of Qui-Gon wanting to wait until Obi-Wan is knighted to tell him how he really feels--we know what happens.:_| BUT, I'm sure Obi-Wan already knows.:)

11. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    ardavenport: Yeah, our 2 Jedi just aren't into admitting love are they? Totally non-verbal about it, but it shows in so many other ways. Too bad it didn't show up in TPM.

I just realized I've been making poor Qui sick all over my stories lately. [face_thinking] Not unexpectedly, since this backstory is about Qui's prior illness and (whispers) Obi's near-death illness which explains their issues in To Spare His Heart. Still, I gotta go write me some humor.

Chapter 2. It's Okay if He's Only Contented With Me

With Obi-Wan sent to his classes, Qui-Gon settled back in his bed, shaking his head. The only reason he let his padawan persuade him to check into the healers ward was that he knew only the healers? reassurances would minimize Obi-Wan?s concerns. So he was a little sore and weak, sometimes having trouble catching his breath. He wasn?t really sick, just not feeling all that well, and he expected the healers would shortly release him to his own quarters, with admonishments to take it easy for a few days.

It was after the mid-day meal when he started feeling nauseous, and soon his meal and he had parted ways. He was gasping for breath and his head was pounding when the healers stuck their head in his room to do a perfunctory check on him. The next thing he knew, Healer Lorith was stripping off his soiled sleeping top and cleaning him and the bedding, all the while asking him how he felt.

?My...head,? he gasped. ?Hurts. Can?t...can?t release it.?

?Deep breath, take a deep breath, Qui-Gon. Focus ? look at me,? Healer Harold was saying. Qui-Gon hadn?t even heard him come in, but he was suddenly leaning over Qui-Gon, his hand against the sick Jedi?s temple, trying to help him release the pain into the Force.

?Trying...trying...,? he mumbled, and felt the prick of a needle in his arm. The pain receded a bit, enough to let him focus and try to push it out, though now he was quite dizzy. ?Better,? he breathed. ?Where the Force did that come from??

The healers looked at each other and shrugged. ?We need to run some more tests ? nothing has shown up yet. Are you sure you weren?t exposed to something on that last mission of yours? Anything??

A soft exclamation interrupted them, and the healers turned, and between them Qui-Gon could see Obi-Wan standing in the doorway, eyes wide and shocked as he took in the scene ? Qui-Gon?s soiled clothing bundled up, his master white and obviously in pain.

?Master, I sensed you were in pain...I came as soon as I could...." The boy spoke calmly, though he was obviously disturbed.

?It?s okay, Obi-Wan, we?re taking care of him,? Healer Lorith said gently, placing her hands on Obi-Wan?s shoulders to turn him around and guide him from the room.

?Go on, we?ll talk later ? it?s okay, padawan,? Qui-Gon said weakly, waving his hand. He tried to smile, to reassure the boy. ?Go back to class, I?ll still be here when you?re through and they?re taking good care of me. Go ahead. Go on.?

?Yes, Master,? Obi-Wan whispered obediently, though it was clear to all three Jedi that it was with the greatest reluctance that he obeyed his master. Healer Lorith went with him, and as she guessed, as soon as they out of earshot, Obi-Wan turned to her and asked in an agonized whisper what was wrong with his master.

She wished she had an answer for him; she said gently they were running tests. Before letting him go, she asked if he could think of any thing Qui-Gon had been exposed to, and asked how he was feeling.

?Fine,? Obi-Wan brushed off her concerns. ?I?m not sick, really. I?m worried about him,? he confided as she noted his pale face.

?Of course you are,? she said gently, and with a reassuring pat on the shoulder, sent him off to his classes, after a quick brush of her hand against his forehead to check on him.

To the healers? consternation, Qui-Gon only got sicker. Their tests were inconclusive. Obi-Wan tried to beg off classes, but Qui-Gon roused enough to order his apprentice to attend them.

12. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    How cute ist that! [face_love]

Oh, oh, I have a bad feeling about this!

Very nice chapter, I hope there will be more soon, it's really an interesting background to your other story.

13. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Very sweet...Hope like Obi-Wan to be so concerned for his Master...

[face_thinking] Hmm, I wonder whose that might be?

-DS

14. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

?Will that really help?? Hope flared in his eyes as he jumped on the chance to help. When she answered it might, he threw himself into such detail that she had to have another healer spell her. But nothing useful, at least yet, came from the story.

For a week there seemed little change. Things were about to change, however ? and a life would hover in the balance.

Awwwwwww. So sad that Obi doesn't think Qui loves him. If only he really knew!

And you can make Qui sick as much as you want ;) Toture leads to angst, angst leads to mush, mush leads to happy readers [face_batting]

15. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    When Qui-Gon?s eyes seemed to brighten at some story or other, he delighted in it. When Qui-Gon seemed to ignore him, lying back with eyes closed as if asleep, he forged bravely on while inwardly quaking.

[:D] for obi just for being obi wan! and for you bringing that out so well!

Oh obi *sigh* if only you knew! It worried me that he was able to gloss over/hide from the word love though!

and aww poor qui...he is really sick and that last line is giving me a bad feeling [face_worried]

16. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    I love that line, Layren! :D

17. kenobiwanobi

kenobiwanobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    Wow this is an awesome story!I love it!!!!!!PM me with updates!

18. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Poor Qui-Gon - I hope the healers are able to figure out what's going on and treat him.

I loved how Obi-Wan brought him a plant...so sweet.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

19. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    awwww....if he only knew he he had Qui-gon wrapped around his little finger XD

cute and sweet...waiting for more!

20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Fifilla: ?Bad feeling?? author takes bow. You should be afraid?very afraid.

Darksaber: Yup, Obi?s always concerned about others?but it?s time to be concerned about himself. One thing about backstories ? you?re locked into certain things that have to happen a certain way, even if the story wants to veer in a tangent (that would be ? all together, class ? a NEW story!) ? hmm, wonder if Uncle George felt that way about 1, II and III.

Layren: And you can make Qui sick as much as you want Toture leads to angst, angst leads to mush, mush leads to happy readers That sounds like a wonderful slogan to me!

Stella_Ripple: Oh obi *sigh* if only you knew! It worried me that he was able to gloss over/hide from the word love though Not gloss over, not actually. He hasn?t actually thought in terms of love vs contentment until now, but once the healer mentions it ? he starts to wonder. I also hesitated at ?Oh, I don?t think he loves me that much,? because that can be taken two ways ? he doesn?t love me, or he doesn?t love me as much as I love him. I?m going more to the second option, but don?t want it too obvious that some part of Obi knows that Qui loves him ? he?s just never thought of their relationship as involving love before this.

Kenobiwanobi: I love that you find this ?awesome.? Do I owe you a nickel or a dime?

Kelia: Worthless healers-neither they or the author has figured out the disease of the story. Who cares? Qui only needs to be sick, why matters not. Deus ex machina.

Lady_Snow_Kaguya: The full extent of Qui and Obi?s feelings don?t come out until the end of To Spare His Heart, for if it was revealed here, I would have just blown that story apart. Think of this more like the early chapters to that story, so the climax is in the other story.

Point of this story is to almost kill Obi-Wan, so Qui?s fears make sense in the earlier ?sequel? and man is that confusing. Note to self: Must confer with Uncle George on how one retains one sanity when doing prequels before sequels.

?Nother note: hope no one?s offended by Qui?s references to his amorous adventures (now there?s a story!), but I think anyone so attuned to the Living Force enjoys life to the fullest.

Chapter 3. Worry, That I Can Do

Qui-Gon wasn?t asleep, nor was he awake. He hadn?t felt so weak in a long time, and with the physical weakness was a mental lethargy. He was quite content to just lie still, for the physical symptoms had lessened leaving him unconcerned and willing to merely ?be? for the time being.

His fever had slowly come down, too. It had been dangerously high. He had used all his Jedi training to force himself to think he was on Hoth, shivering in the icy blasts of that perpetually cold and snowy planet. He had taken Obi-Wan there, once, for a taste of cold-weather training. They had only stayed a day, as it was a short side trip on the way back from a mission and they did not have full cold-weather gear with them.

Several hours in the cold had driven them back to the warmth of their ship, and he remembered teasing Obi-Wan, about how distinguished he looked with his beard and mustache of frost and ice. Obi-Wan had merely grabbed a towel and wiped the dripping wetness from his face, muttering how he?d never grow facial hair for otherwise he?d be forever dripping all over himself like his master.

It had amused Qui-Gon, for it was undisputed that Obi-Wan was the neat one of the two, and the first to clean up after a messy or wet mission.

He had drawn the memory of that bone-sucking coldness around him, pulling it within him to combat the raging fire inside, and with all the strength and will of a Jedi master, he used its frigid fingers to lower his body temperature.

He was looking forward to seeing the relief on Obi-Wan?s face, for he knew how worried the boy had been, despite the brave front he had been careful to maintain in front of his master.

In his lassitude, he hadn?t heard

21. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    Fifilla: ?Bad feeling?? author takes bow. You should be afraid?very afraid.
    I was a bit worried before I started reading the new chapter but now I'm really afraid!
    But that's the good thing if you have prequels before sequels (or the other way round? [face_thinking] ) - one always knows who will survive. So you cannot kill poor Obi! That are good news, but I fear he (and Qui too) will suffer a lot before they both recover! [face_worried]

Sick Jedi were a handful, sick male Jedi even more so, and sick male Jedi masters the worst.
    This sentence cheered me up a bit... how true! [face_laugh]

22. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Oh no, now Obi-Wan's sick!

Sounds typical he'd try and hide it.

Now the healers just need to figure out what it is and cure him...and Qui of course!

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

23. kenobiwanobi

Jun 26, 2005
    val said:I love that you find this ?awesome.? Do I owe you a nickel or a dime?

no silly!

and as to your story I am openly concerned for the small padawan....hope they both get better, but not to quickly cuz I enjoy this story....great jpb!

24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Fifilla: was a bit worried before I started reading the new chapter but now I'm really afraid! Oh, this chapter is pretty light hearted and full of mush.

Kelia: Sounds typical he'd try and hide it. More like he got sick too suddenly to realize just how sick he was.

Kenobiwanobi: and as to your story I am openly concerned for the small padawan....hope they both get better, Well, they both have to recover for the sequel.

Chapter 4. The Joy a Toy Can Bring

Qui-Gon stared miserably over at the bed next to him. Obi-Wan lay quietly, too quietly, mumbling a bit as his head moved restlessly on the pillow. While he was recovering, Obi-Wan was getting sicker. He wished it were the other way around.

He could almost see the fever stealing across his padawan?s body, making his sick boy restless, and he was mumbling. Soon, Qui-Gon thought, soon his mumbles would explode into delirious dreams, cries and sobs of anguish that seemed to accompany such things. All he could do was wait, and watch. And worry.

He jumped with Obi-Wan?s first shout.

?No, Master, no!? Obi-Wan shouted, his voice cracking with fear. ?NO!? he screamed out. ?Let me go to him, let me go?Master.? His voice broke piteously on the last word and he started sobbing.

?Obi-Wan,? Qui-Gon called to him, rising up one elbow and trying to send soothing waves through the Force. ?Padawan, padawan...shhh, Obi-Wan, I?m all right, I?m okay.?

?Master! You can?t die?you can?t,? he begged.

?I?m not dying, Padawan,? he tried to assure the boy, but his voice could not penetrate Obi-Wan?s fever, and he continued to cry out until his voice grew cracked and hoarse. His limbs thrashed, as he if was trying to escape something terrible in his sleep, or prevent it from happening to another.

All Qui-Gon could do was speak softly to him, and watch, and wait, all the while sending soothing waves through the Force to try to comfort his sick padawan.

As Obi-Wan?s temperature rose, his nightmares seemed to subside, at least for the time being, and the violent thrashing of his legs and arms in his fevered sleep had given way to small twitches and jerks. From almost too-still silence, to piteous screams of protest, he had slid into a slowly sobbing boy bereft of comfort, face buried in his pillow and soft tremors shaking the slim shoulders.

It made Qui-Gon?s heart ache, for this was not the boy he knew, confident and strong. The boy growing into a young man, a Jedi pledged to help others, was nothing such now, only a young and small child. His weakness was from illness, not lack of character, and Qui-Gon had never hurt so for him before.

?T?k?ta,? Obi-Wan mumbled. ?Wanna?T?k?ta.? His eyes were slowing filling with tears as he reached out and there was nothing there.

Over in the next bed, Qui-Gon watched his boy, his padawan, so sick, and wanting comfort from something that wasn?t there.

?Obi-Wan,? he called gently, hoping to rouse the boy. Obi-Wan struggled to open his eyes, stared tearfully at his master through glittering eyes.

?Ma?sta, want T?k?ta.? To Qui-Gon?s horror, his sick apprentice started crying, great sobs racking his weak body and tears running down his cheeks. Ignoring his own weakness, just needing to comfort his poor padawan, who would be so humiliated if he was aware of his sobbing, Qui-Gon slipped out of his bed and over to Obi-Wan?s bedside, to put a soft hand on that hot and damp forehead. He smoothed Obi-Wan?s hair back from his face with a gentle hand.

?Mas?ta, wanna ?T?k?ta,? Obi-Wan sobbed, as his master wrapped his arms around the sick boy and pulled him into a tight hug.

?I?ll see that you get T?k?ta,? Qui-Gon whispered, soothing the boy?s tears and kissing the damp forehead.

?I?d bring you the sun and the moon, if it made you feel any better, my young one. Please stop crying, Obi-Wan, I promise you one way or the other, I?ll see that you get your T?k?ta.? He would: he just needed to know what it was and hope it w

25. kenobiwanobi

Jun 26, 2005
    Awww that was great...cute little Obi anmd good old stubborn qui...great job on another flawless post!!!!!!!!!!!!~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.