main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [24] CTU: TF.net Branch -- Declassified 24 Discussion

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Lithiniel, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lithiniel

Lithiniel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2006
    True enough, although IMO, something like that ought to count as being on the clock....with plenty of overtime. ;)

We also know that prior to season 3, he was undercover with a Mexican syndicate, primarily dealing with narcotics.

But surely the poor guy gets a day off from time to time. So what does he do? Does he go to the shooting range to keep in practice? Does he dress like a clown and go to the children's hospital? Full-contact racquetball, maybe?

For that matter, what does the rest of our favorite CTU crew do in their off time? We know Agent Almeida likes the Cubs, so we can intuit that he probably watches a lot of baseball on TV. We also know that he's prone to alcoholism brought on by depression. Poor Tony. But what about Bill? What about Chloe?

Being that I am not a mod, and therefore cannot offer any incentive to complete this project, I figure there's no point in setting a deadline or parameters that are overly specific. So here's the challenge/prompt as it stands:

Jack's day off -- what does he do for recreation? Write a story set in or around any season you like, including any other 24 characters you want. It can be serious, poignant, downright hilarious, or anything in between. There's no limit on length, but let's make them long enough to be worth the effort... ;)

Any additional suggestions are always welcome and appreciated, because I honestly have no idea what I'm doing.... ;)

2. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002

I'm actually working on a pre-day 7 Tony fic that incorporates both of these things.

3. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I look forward to that fic, karebear.

4. Lithiniel

Jun 26, 2006
    Me too!

I just started a new wrestling thing, so it'll probably be a little while before I write anything new over here, but I'm working on it, I promise. ;)

5. Lithiniel

Jun 26, 2006
    Bill Buchanan!!!!!

6. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I know. I was sorry to see it. He was a great character in seasons 4-5, especially.

A dark day and a silent clock.

But Jack didn't shed a tear; just a few sobs. I guess Bill was no President Palmer.

7. karebear214

Sep 7, 2002
  8. Lithiniel

Jun 26, 2006
    It's been a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd prod this thread back to life.

And what can I say? Oh, boy..... Looks like things are going to get rougher from here on out. But that's the way 24 always is....

So, we've already lost one major character this season. After offing Bill, do you think they're going to take Jack out, too? Especially in such an undignified way?

I hope not. I'm hoping for an 11th-hour cure. But with the bulk of the FBI forces -- plus a whole SEAL team (yay SEALs!!!) -- at the mercy of Starkwood, and Jack incapacitated as he is, things are looking really dark. I mean, they've messed with us before, but not quite like this.

I guess we just have to wait for next week.... and hope Tony's got something up his sleeve.... That, or it's up to Renee...

*parts of this post redacted as a matter of national security*

9. Lithiniel

Jun 26, 2006
    :eek:

That's honestly all I can say about this week's offering.

10. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I was shocked. there is little coming back from that. I felt that sick pit in my stomach as the episode ended. Sad day.

11. Lithiniel

Jun 26, 2006
    Me too, Brodieman. Me too. I spent the entire rest of the evening in a horrible, horrible mood.

This week's episode was also rather off-putting.

And, it may just be that I'm extremely upset with the direction they've taken certain characters, as well as the subplot with Jack, but.... Don't the plot twists this season seem sort of contrived? Like they're throwing as much unexpected stuff at us as they can?

Honestly, the way this season's going, it seems like it might be the final one. And the only way it can reasonably end is with the entire Earth exploding like Alderaan in the last minute of the last episode..... :p

Edit: (Redacted for purposes of national security.)

Addendum -- New intel suggests that terrorists stole Tony's body after Season 5 and actually buried him in the Pet Cemetery, and that is why he has become a soulless monster.

12. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Sorry about the wait for a reply, but the last three weeks have really hammered home your above point. I feel like I'm just waiting for it to be over rather than being excited about each hour.

Where will Jack be left in the final hour?

Tony is dead to me. Sad, but I think the real Tony dies in Season 5.

I still like Renee, but even her tension level has subsided to a sad passivity.

I'm still watching, just not thrilled. Not the worst, but not the best either.

13. karebear214

Sep 7, 2002

I had to stop watching this season of 24 because I wound up working while it was on, but I feel like this happens every year, which is why I had given up on the show 2 seasons ago. I came back briefly because of Tony, but once again, I'm not surprised that it failed to live up to it's promise.

It really makes me wonder that the show could be on for 7 seasons and not have found it's groove yet.

I mean, 24 was never meant to be extremely realistic, but you'd think by now the show creators would have a handle on what the basic season structure should look like without the convoluted and unnecessary loops and plotholes.

14. Lithiniel

Jun 26, 2006
    Yeah, I have to agree: It seems like I'm just waiting for the torment to be over.

Wait...that's it! It's 24's way of training us in anti-interrogation techniques! I mean, if we won't spill state secrets to make the torture to our brains stop, surely a little waterboarding won't hurt us... ;)

Between all the swerves and screwjobs that have gone on this season, I could almost swear Vince McMahon was behind it all.

On the other hand, I'm also still waiting on Phillip Bauer to make a return.

I will admit, I have to give Keifer props for his wonderful acting in spite of (or in response to) what can only be the most poorly thought-out season to date. I also blame the writer's strike that left us with reruns and an increase in crappy reality shows for a year and a half. Obviously the creative minds behind 24 have lost their groove entirely.

Tony is an absolute son-of-a-*bleep*, and he does make a fairly dangerous opponent for Jack, as they're both so similar in training and ways of thinking. I'm just finding it really hard to buy Tony as a terrorist. There's some logic missing in there somewhere. You can only write it off as bad previous experiences (treason charges, Michelle's death, etc.) to an extent. One would think someone as sensitive as Tony has always been would have gone the other way and turned into a total pacifist.

More likely theories: Tony has been taken over by a Goa'uld. Tony is not Tony, but an evil clone grown and educated on Kamino. And/or possibly a Sith Lord. Um...someone else's brain was put in Tony's head?

No, wait, I got it! Biggest swerve ever! The same people who stole Tony's body after he died also got hold of Michelle's body, patched her up with glue and brought her back, also... and now they're using her as leverage to make Tony do what they want!

Also, Kim is still an idiot. Although previews made it look like she might do something not-stupid for once next week. I guess we'll see.

It's almost over, and I have mixed feelings about that. I believe I may be addicted to Jack Bauer. Need to find a support group....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.