Amph 24: The Jack Bauer Power Hour Discussion Thread - Jack is back in "Live Another Day" miniseries!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Vengance1003 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Rogue has one more book then DAY 1.
  2. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    Yeah, I do apologize for the break here . . . I'll be back soon.
  3. Vengance1003 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Since today is Monday and 24 would totally be on a year ago :(, I decided to give this thread some movie updates.

http://twitter.com/RealKiefer

Kiefer Sutherland got a twitter and said the movie should start being filmed next January. He also said Tony Scott would maybe direct which is totally awesome.

(also a subtle nudge at Rogue :p)
  4. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    I'm not the hugest fan of Tony Scott, but his aesthetic, when it works, is right in line with 24's. So that would be pretty good. And, subtle nudge accepted; I'll get back to this thread eventually. :)
  5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
  6. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
  7. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Arrested Development, now 24. Delightful.
  8. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    I read that this morning, not sure whether that's a good thing or not. Sure, the final scenes of the last "day", with Bauer doing like a fugitive Batman at the end of TDK seemed like a setup for an inevitable return. But by then 24 had become a joke.

I'd really love if Fox could dispense with the following this time around:

1) The 24-hour, "real time" gimmick altogether. It got old and ridiculous after the first season. Interesting but utterly unbelievable. Just leave the name for lack of a better name or simply to remind us it's "The Jack Bauer Action Hour".
    2) No more subplots involving members of the Bauer clan becoming hostages in order to compromise Bauer/CTU.
    3) No more ridiculous "twists" involving a CTU employee being a mole for the bad guys. That was about one of the more annoying and frustratingly repetitive gimmicks in the show.
    4) No more drama with the President and his family or staff members, especially drama that ends up spilling into the bad guys' plot.
    5) No more femme-fatales or simply love interests that end up dying on Jack.

I know those are some of the things that made 24 "gripping" to some, but they simply annoyed the hell outta me. I'd be impressed if we could have some originality this time around.
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Well, the new series is supposedly a limited or mini series, so it will have fewer than 24 episodes, though the series itself will still span 24 hours.

So I'm guessing the real-time thing has been thrown out the window.

And, yeah, no more moles at CTU, please. the other things don't annoy me as much.

[IMG]
  10. Condition2SQ Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I think it'd be great if they made the threats more localized and intimate rather than the grandiose, world-changing, Rube Goldberg schemes that dominated the show from Season 4 on. And the episodes themselves are still going to be real-time, it's just that between episodes time will be skipped over.
  11. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Veronica Mars is getting a movie thanks to a Kickstarter fund.
  12. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Now all we need is the Boston Legal renewal. I wonder if I could Kickstart that. Might have to convince Shatner, he's getting up there.
    Last edited by heels1785, May 13, 2013
  13. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Or Dollhouse. So many loose threads there.
  14. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
  15. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Depends on if Joss had any ideas for a follow-up after Serenity. Besides which, Nathan Fillion is still tied up with Castle and one or two other film commitments right now.
  16. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Joss actively asked fans not to kickstart a Firefly movie after that Veronica Mars thing. Mostly because he's busy with Marvel and Nathan is busy with Castle.
  17. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Yeah, I forgot to add Joss' other commitments into things. But if Joss said not to try and revive the show, I can respect that, it's his creation, he can certainly choose whether or not to revive it or not.
    Last edited by Juliet316, May 13, 2013
  18. Darth_Kiryan Force Ghost

star 4
  19. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    Saw this yesterday as well, quite excited. I'm assuming they've given up on doing a movie, maybe they just couldn't fit a script into a 2-3 hour time frame. What I've read says it will be a 12 episode run, not sure if that means that they'll dump the "real time" contrivance or keep it, have the plot over in half a day.

Considering that the Finale was clearly meant to lead into a movie for the ultimate resolution of the plot (ie Jack on the run after escaping the execution squad), I assume they have more than enough material for this to be good. [face_praying]

EDIT: More info from EW, quoting Fox's Chairman:
    So no more real time, only 12 eps. Hopefully Elisha Cuthbert's involvement limited to welcoming Jack home at the airport at the very end.
    Last edited by yankee8255, May 13, 2013
  20. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Maybe Jack won't be so angry by the end?
  21. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    I think I should do a rewatch of all 8 seasons over the summer!
    heels1785 likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
  23. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
  24. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10