main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 24: The Jack Bauer Power Hour (and Spin-Offs)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2005.

1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I would never assume what Fox would and would not do given their downright bizarre track record, especially if they get Kiefer's blessing. Still, one would hope the Bourne series would serve as a lesson for what happens when you try to relaunch a series without the title character. Granted, it's never been technically called the Jack Bauer show, but terms like Jack Bauer Power Hour has certainly become common enough. Not to mention his impact on pop culture with things like the drinking game, Keep calm and call Jack Bauer etc.

I do think Fox is aware of that, but they wouldn't have said anything if they weren't even entertaining the idea. And really, it seems like they've been trying to get a successor to Jack for years: Chase, Mike, Rene, Cole, Kate, not to mention turning Kim into an agent and having Chloe get more active over time- The man has almost had more Robins than Batman at this point.

Problem is, only two have ever really resonated. One, Rene, is dead. The other is Kate. And her, with the right cast, I could actually see working somewhat. Not that I'm in favor of a totally Jack free 24 so long as Kiefer is able to do it. But, I could see how the gears in Fox network execs' heads are turning.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I could have seen a "Tony-Four" spinoff series working back around seasons 3-5, but after that the series was too entrenched as Jack's show.

Not saying it couldn't work still just that it'd be harder to accept now compared to 10 years ago.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think the way S9 ended does lend itself to a "Bauer-lite" S10 gimmick. Let's say over half the season (assuming they do another 12 eps) is the Big Jack Bauer Russian Breakout featuring 24-All Star team: Tony, Kate, Chole, Jawless Charles Logan, Belcheck, Aaron Pierce, Behrooz, Crazy Mandy, etc. Just the sheer heft of the cast, if they brought back a few vets, could be interesting to push the season along.

I mean, if Jack is basically stuck in a Russian Gulag do we really need to see him stuck in a corner being whipped every episode? Not really.

But Jack has to come back, eventually, and lead the show out in the last 6 or so episodes. It would be a way to build it up for the Bauer-hour payoff. Toss him in the first ep so we know he exists, give a few eps of trying to get him out, then Jack at the end for the Great Escape portion.

A 100% Bauer-less "24"? I'll admit, I would still watch it because I love the show and the format but I can't see being way into it. I do believe Jack Bauer is "24" but if they want to pull a fast one and save Jack until the last few episodes, that could be an interesting idea. Just doing more "24" and leaving freakin' Jack with the Russians and never following up or mentioning it or having Jack Bauer in the show again would be pretty darn annoying.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    What I hope they avoid is another "last hurrah." We've had two "last seasons" now, with a last shot of Jack. If they're bringing the show back, plan to run a few seasons.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    We don't need to see that but, let's face it- this is 24. They'd totally do that.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Fans of the show will likely remember Erin Driscoll, CTU boss from Season 4. She was a nightmare for most of her time on the show, only to be revealed as a mother struggling with a suicidal daughter at the end.

Alberta Watson, who portrayed Driscoll, died today at age 60.

Yodaminch likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Damn! She had the honour of sharing the screen with Jack Bauer's sole usage of dropping the F-bomb. (Warning, Jack Bauer F-bomb to Erin Discoll in link)

That aside, I gave "Live Another Day" a rewatch and I still really dug it, even when they cram in about half-a-season worth of twists into the last 3 episodes but it plays well when everything goes haywire. Jack is really awesome in that season overall. I think Margot Al-Harazi may be in my top 3 baddie deaths in the series.

I think Kate Morgan is actually one of the better Robin's to Jack's Batman that Jack has had over the course of the series, which is key because they've tried a lottttt of them and less than half work out. Let's say she's a Tim Drake. Rene is Dick Grayson. Tony gets Jason Todd - due to his going buggo at the end. (Chole isn't Robin, she's Alfred)

Also watched that "24: Solitary" that had Tony in it, decent watch if you want some sort of kinda completion on the character and also a very cool tease for what could happen in the future.

Worst thing about Summer 2015? No new 24! Ahhhhh!!

8. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Saw the news about Alberta Watson's death. Very sad.

And BigAl5ft6: Using your analogy, Chloe is Oracle. Just no wheelchair. ;)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    24! Still being worked on!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/71468

Reporters asking when we might expect more adventures set in Jack Bauer’s universe only learned that the next installment was “still fairly early in development.”
    "There's really nothing we can tell you at this time other than we are working on something," Fox co-CEO Gary Newman told conference-call listeners Monday.

Bit of non-news but being developed is more active than "Screw it, we're done."

10. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    If Jack was ever to make it out of that situation at the end of the season, they might as well re-title the series to Mission Impossible: Jack Bauer. I enjoy 24, and went back and watched the original run before 24: Live Another Day. I've like Yvhonne Strahovski since Chuck, I think she knocked that role out of the park then, but for some reason it felt like something was missing in Live Another Day.

I'd like another series, but I'm honestly thinking and feeling that Jack's story is done at this point. I guess the question is, who will fill his shoes?

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Non-Jack spinoff being developed, legit. However, not all is lost, Jack could show up (and probably would) even if "there are no plans at this time":

http://tvline.com/2015/06/01/24-spinoff-fox-new-character-2016-kiefer-sutherland/

Fox is developing a 24 spinoff that would revolve around a new twentysomething male terrorist hunter, , franchise overlord Howard Gordon confirmed to TVLine Sunday at the Critics Choice Television Awards.1
    While there are no current plans for Kiefer Sutherland’s Jack to appear, it’s entirely possible his iconic character could pop in and out on a guest-star basis.

Honestly, I love the show and world and format and I would watch it, and I can honestly see Jack being relegated to a smaller supporting role (They've been giving the man younger, hipper parters since freakin' season 3!) but entirely Jack Bauer less? I doubt that would fly. And they probably know it too.

Keep Jack as a semi-frequent guest star. Make Tony a regular. Give a new lead. That would be something I could be excited for.

12. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Bah. Mistake not having it star Yvonne. I'd watch a 24 hour show about her immediately - especially if Jack and Chloe had a recurring role. This on the other hand is 24 in name only at the moment. [face_plain]

13. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Definitely a mistake not having Tony and/or Kate in the lead. Still will be interesting to see how it turns out.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Tony would be almost guaranteed to be a lead role in the "whatever it is 24", not the Lead lead but a main castmember. Completely Jack Bauer-less? Bad idea.

15. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    See the ideal thing, but impossible given how 24 has screwed up their lives, would be to have Chloe and/or Tony running whatever the CTU equivalent is. And Kate as the lead. Which would actually be a huge boon for Fox as they'd be having a major franchise headlined by a female lead. And they already have an idea of their audience because Kate went over very well compared to the other sidekicks - Rene perhaps being the only one who would have been higher but she's dead dead dead. They'd have some of their 24 audience, gain some Chuck fans and then probably just a few curious about the show itself. Heck, the best scenario is something with Chloe in charge or assisting Kate, Kate as the lead agent and needing Tony's assistance so he partners with her. They could even get Ben Bratt back as Navarro in a Nina Myers type of role. And then the big twist halfway through the pilot:they end up rescuing Jack who has vital intelligence. He then spends the rest of the show laid up for 12 hours after the intense torture he went through and makes an appearance towards the end perhaps with one good action scene before he finally rides off into the sunset and Kate takes over for good. At least that would be a decent passing of the torch and gives Jack a somewhat better ending then going to be tortured more in Russia.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Even Keifer is now saying "I ain't coming back! (But probably cameo)"

“I’m not coming back to do 24 because there are other things I want to do. And when they said limited-series run, I meant it. But I’ve always felt, from Season 1 on, that 24 is such a great idea that this can go on forever. I think if you create a new cast or other characters in the telling of this story, it will bring a freshness. And let’s face it there’s only so many bad days one can have before the show becomes a mad comic. And what I don’t want it to be is a mad comic…it doesn’t rule out to one having a cameo.”

Fun fact, it was at an awards screening for the "24: Live Another Day" Season finale episode (which I thought was awesome and uber-dramatic and a heavy, dark ending, voters love those bits.) because "LAD" didn't air enough eps last season to be considered for the Emmys so it's technically up for the 2015 awards run. Hey, know any other miniseries that would pass it? Go "24"! Again!"

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    geez, now down to non-Jack Bauer Power Hour (and maybe none other characters!)

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2015/08/07/fox-confirms-24-spinoff-wont-include-jack-bauer/

“Obviously we would love to have Kiefer and we went to him first,” Fox TV Co-Chair Gary Newman told reporters at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour. “It isn’t something he wants to do at this point, but he encouraged us to continue and look for a way to bring the show back.”
    In fact, Newman isn’t sure whether any familiar faces will return in the new installment, saying, “It would not surprise me if it’s a total reset in terms of the characters.”

That worked real well when they tried that with Borune, didn't that?

I love the energy and format of the show but people DO actually like the characters, despite the majority of them being killed by terrorists and/or Jack Bauer himself over the years. Damn shame if Jack is just left in the Russian hands.

Or they just get sent a photo of this:

[​IMG]

"Oh, look, Jack escaped the Russians, neat! On to the next 24!"

18. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Well, Fox resurrected this for Live Another Day and apparently Prison Break is coming back as well. I guess Fox has decided that they want to relive the good ol' days?

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah well the key is in the X-Files / Prison Break revivals, they brought back the primary castmembers. Even in Live Another Day a few vets were back, especially the lead. Now? Oy. Geez, not even Tony? Well, okay, I hope Tony.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  20. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I have 2 things to say about 24:

1. No way in hell am I watching this if there is no Jack
    2. WOULD YOU PLEASE ALREADY RELEASE THE PREVIOUS SEASONS IN BLU RAY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!

Juke Skywalker and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    If someone from the original cast or Live Another Day cast isn't in it, it would be tough to call it a spin off and not a reboot in a sense. I hope Mary Lynn Rajskub is done. I felt like her story was done at the end of Live Another Day from what I recall. TBH, it's been a while since I watched Live Another Day. I'll have to go back and watch it again sometime soon.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Live Another Day got even better on my rewatch, Bauer was even more miffed than usual and he's always kinda miffed. See, I think the way the show is presented makes for great TeeVee but Kiefer's performance is a huge aspect of it and to do it without him it will be missing a giant chunk of what makes it great. I think the general energetic tone of the show is strong enough to be at least watchable without Sutherland as Jack Bauer but he's the aspect that gives it that extra ompth.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Some quotes from Sutherland recently indicate he may possibly come back. I'm honestly fairly certain 24 will come back and Keifer Sutherland will be in it.... for maybe 30% of the season. But they gotta rescue Jack, dammit!

Anyway, this is the 24 prequel that is about Chole's job before she was in CTU and had to pay her way through spy school.

PS - canon

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well. Thread title due for a change. Jack Bauer-less "24: Legacy" is a thing.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/reviews/24legacy-reboot-fox-pilot-order-1201680684/

After much talk, Fox is seriously considering bringing back “24” with a formal pilot order for a reboot of the series, titled “24: Legacy,” Variety has learned. The pilot will film this winter.
    Kiefer Sutherland’s Jack Bauer character would not be part of the revival series, which will feature an all-new cast of characters, but will retain “24’s” format of real-time storytelling with split screens and like the original, each episode will represent one hour of an eventful day.

I love the show and the format but.... dahhhh, it IS still 24. Hell, I watch Homeland just cuz it sorta reminds me of 24. But without Jack that's going to... be a thing. Yargh.

Maybe in the final episode, the main character finds Jack Bauer and gives him back his lightsaber / the Jack Sack.

vin likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The thread title will never change. Jack Bauer is forever. I'm open to bringing back the "hacksaw" part, however. ;)