main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 24: The Jack Bauer Power Hour (and Spin-Offs)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2005.

1. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah, as soon as Legacy was announced, I knew that Hawkins' character on TWD was going to inevitably die. It seems black guys can't last long on that show.

2. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000

I just saw the whole series of TWD the last month. All caught up now, but they haven't killed this character yet. Last i remember he and a few others (that actress that got pregnant in real life also went with him) went on a long savage run. But yeah i'm assuming they will say he's either dead or will die soon since he'll be busy with 24. Plus its great to hear Tony is back!!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Easy money that this weeks TWD is when Corey Hawkins' Heath dies, hopefully they give him a whole lot of 24-style antics if this is his final episode. Really, though, this season seems like it would have been shooting concurrently with 24: Legacy so, if Jack's character is anything to go by, it seems pretty labour intensive for the lead (one of the reasons Sutherland didn't come back is that it's a rough go so he's just chillin in the White House on Designated Survivor now instead.) I'm just stumped how they got Hawkins back for a week or so on TWD if he was shooting 24: Legacy. Maybe they got him in the short period between 24: Legacy pilot to series order.

Hopefully when his (inevitable) exit happens on Sunday, he turns to the camera and goes "I'm not dead! Tune into Fox after the Superbowl!"

4. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    haha thats funny. I haven't watched the new episode yet. i will later today but yeah i'm assuming he's gonna exit.

5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Hawkins did appear on TWD, but you could tell they literally probably only had him for, like, a day or two cuz he's only in basically two scenes (that they managed to stretch out across the ep via flashbacks). But he did do two very important things: he delivered an emotionally tortured monologue about violence and action stuff. If one is a lead on 24, they're gonna have to do those bits.

6. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    This trailer seems to give a little bit more depth on the main character Carter.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    New trailer featuring a familiar face at the end.. (and in the thumbnail, thus the spoiler tag)

Tony ****ing Almeida

Which now makes me want to post my favorite scene in all of 24.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    still trying to stay fairly spoiler free, aside from that very first trailer that came out almost a year ago, but I'm certain while watching the Superbowl it'll be constant stream of "24: Legacy" ads which makes it kind of pointless.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Preparing for the new series by going back and watching a few seasons. Finished my favorite, Season 5, last night.

The scene of Logan's arrest, contrasted with Palmer's casket being loaded aboard the plane for Washington, is just outstanding. There are very few flaws with the 5th season, I feel like - unfortunately, the 6th season wasn't a worthy successor.

Anyway, enjoy this. Gregory Itzin is at his best - the way his tone changes once he realizes what is going on is great. The fact that he resembles Nixon just makes it all the better.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    The 5th season was very good, even if it does sag a bit in the middle. My ranking of the seasons goes something like this:

8--I couldn't even finish this one. About midway through the season, I realized that I didn't care about anything that was going on. The Hassan family drama was boring as ****.

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Season 8 has a strong finish that saved the season from being comparable to Season 6, I think. My choices have changed a bit over the years, as I've probably watched the full series at least 4 times - I'd go 5, 4, 2, 3, 7, 1, 8, 6.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    2, 5, 4, 9, 7, 1, 3, 8, 6.

I could swap 1, 3 & 8 at any time- 8 does enough good (plus gives Jack a good partner for once) that it could conceivably overcome Season 3's dropped plotlines and unfocused feel (even if the rest of Season 3 is stronger).

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I loved Paul Blackthorne in Season 3, though. Outstanding villain.

TX-20 likes this.
  14. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Well, the first episode seems to be a worthy successor to Kiefer's show. A tad predictable, especially with the scenes at the high school. Rebecca channels the rebellious side of Jack perfectly, but I'm not sold on the male version of Chloe yet. And I did love the shoutout to Edgar!

TX-20 likes this.
  15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, this turned out to be better than I expected. I don't know if I'll get as hooked as I was on the original 24, but now I'm willing to give it a chance.

TX-20 likes this.
  16. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    doesn't air here in australia until next week i think. but im looking forward too watching the show

17. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    24: No Jack City is alright so far. Will definitely stick with it.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Lack of Jack Bauer is a bummer but 24: Legacy does fill the void with all of the 24 wackiness: terrorism, double crosses, gunshots, moles, political intrigue, relationship melodrama, crackheads messing things up, sexy seductress terrorists, more gunshots, etc.

I can see the logic in a new lead as a way to tie their history to the central antagonist (pretty much like Jack and the Drazen family way back in Season 1). Jack has been burned through by so many secrets from his past and dead loved ones that there's only so much one can put him through as tying in with the storyline as opposed to "stuff happened and Jack was there". Interesting that Eric isn't a member of CTU at all but Jack was basically an "independent consultant" for CTU ever since, like, Season 4.

The sexy seductress terrorist student is probably my favourite wackadoo 24 plot (there's always 1 per season) and the One Good Kid only made it through 2 episodes, if this was a 24 episode season he'd probably be stretched out to 6 eps.

Only real complaint is they changed the 24 countdown clock from yellow to blue. The 24 clock is supposed to be yellow, dammit!

heels1785 likes this.
  19. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I missed a few weeks of the show, but now I've binged and caught up to the latest episode. The overall plot is still predictable, but it finds nice ways to throw a few curveballs every now and then, especially in the "bad guy gives the good guy an empty gun as a test" trope. And I never thought Amira would actually go through with her attack. That was quite startling.

Tomorrow night, Tony returns!

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I was a big fan of the dopey high schooler terrorist plot because teenage relationship melodrama (involving terrorism!) is totally a thing in the 24-verse so it was kind of fun to see again, as awkwardly strange as that plot took inside of 6 episodes (if this was a full 24 eps, it would have been stretched out to 12). but I thought her exit was grand, even though she went from "wahhh, I don't want to be a terrorist" to "Must kill the infidels" really quick-like, I guess the creepy teacher shooting her brother had something to do with it.

It's awesome to see Tony back, even if he's just sort of glowering but him running an off books Black Site is appropriate. I am a mite confused on one thing, of course this is 24 and trying to follow a continuity timeline is a fairly losing cause, but just to give it a shot anyway. Tony said he had a thing with Rebecca Ingram "after his wife died." (note: Tony is still randomly bringing up that his wife was killed), well to follow the dots - Michelle is killed, Tony is presumed dead, goes off the grid and becomes a terrorist to revenge his wife, is sent to jail, breaks out of jail, becomes a Black Site torturer. So when did Tony and Rebecca have a thing? In his wandering terrorist years? Conjugal visits? In, like, after he was broken out of jail and ran the black site? Does that mean she's only been married to Senator Bail Organa for, like, a week? (yes, I know Jimmy Smitts character has a name but I'm just going with Bail Organa)

Speaking of which, he's probably evil. Just because he let his old man be tortured to probably cover something up the old man didn't know. So it makes sense in a 24-sort of way. Also good to see the 24 tradition of "the bad guy doesn't make it to the finale and another bad guy shows up for the last few episodes" alive and well with them capturing the pretty boy terrorist leader but Eric suddenly being "who is that guy?! It's that guy!" and now they have to find him instead. Also, I'd wager Andy is going to be too depressed / incompetent / beaten up to recover the terrorist drive so that's probably where Chole will come back in. And then eventually her and Tony running house at CTU because 24 reasons.

While over halfway through, this series hasn't broken the 24-mold, and I still have no clue why it's called "Legacy", it has done 24 stuff rather well. Hawkins is a solid lead and we've gotten some crazy stuff like jihadists vs. gangbangers which was kind of awesome.

21. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I think timeline-wise, Tony's relationship with Rebecca would have worked better if it was prior to season 1. He and Rebecca broke up, and he rebounded to Nina. That way Rebecca could have been married to Donovan for a more plausible 15+ years instead of the implied 7 or 8.

Speaking of timelines, I wonder what year the show is in now. We don't have an identity on the current president yet. I never saw Live Another Day, but I understand that James Heller was president during that series. It's likely that his successor, whether his VP or the Democratic opponent in the next election, is president now.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, Rebecca being pre-Michelle works better but, as he said, it was after his wife was killed. Unless Tony had ANOTHER wife before her, which this show has done weirder things. I think if you follow that Season 1 is set in 2001, and take into account the years passing mentioned in between, the show is like in 2020ish or so, which is a tad wonky. The best info is this bit from the "24 wiki" about the timeline where they sez:

According to Evan Katz, the time frame of 24 is intentionally vague and undefined, with each season effectively taking place in the "perpetual now." The production made a concerted effort to avoid showing dates onscreen; those that do appear — for example, the date visible on a cell phone screen — are usually not coordinated, and sometimes reflect the actual date and time when the scene was filmed.

23. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    If we're going by the presidencies, we have:

David Palmer: 2001-2005.
    Keeler/Logan/Gardner: 2005-2009.
    Wayne Palmer/Noah Daniels: 2009-2013
    Taylor/Hayworth: 2013-2017
    Heller: 2017-2021
    Unnamed president in Legacy: 2021-????

So unless the current president is Heller's VP, Legacy is set no earlier than 2021.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    hahha, yikes 20 years of single term Presidents! the turnover rate of the POTUS in the 24-verse is pretty high. And even if you don't resign, arrested or get killed in office, you get assassinated like Palmer out of office.

I actually like they haven't had the field-agent-having-the-President-on-speed-dial like the previous seasons have done (well, technically the previous show, this is a spin-off that says "based on the TV series 24"). It was cool and all but a tad wonky but, hey, Jack Bauer was THAT important that he could just call up the President whenever he needed to.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Finale tonight! The lack of Sutherland's Bauer is pretty dire but doesn't quite sink it. While there hasn't been anything as crazy as Live Another Day (which I thought was awesome) there's been some decent stuff, Rebecca being kidnapped turned out to add some cool things (although the reveal that the Dad Terrorist wasn't dead was basically just Dennis Hopper as the Drazen father from Season 1), Hawkins makes for a good lead on 24 which is a lot of look frazzled, growl and then shoot people, Tony's return has had some decent stuff (although he spent 2 episodes ago just opening a laptop) and I do love his irritation at Eric at the end of the last episode where Tony just rolls his eyes and says "If I don't do the job, that's bad for business".

Still hoping they worked in a 10 seconds Jack Bauer cameo at the end (or maybe Chole telling them where Jack is). Or at least mention him, it's been 12 episodes since we've seen Jack and no one in Legacy has even said his name yet. I would be legit ticked if we don't get anything about him.