main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 24: The Jack Bauer Power Hour (and Spin-Offs)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2005.

1. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    I am liking this season so far. I love the villains and Renee was awesome. I hope they don't do nukes again, since they've already done it 3 times so far, but the potential of getting nukes is pretty exciting. I haven't been this excited about 24 since the middle of last year. On to next week!

2. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    "This is over!"
    "Maybe for you Jack, but I'm just getting started."

Well aren't we damaged goods. I really rather like this new Renee. This is definitely a much better intro to her than I had thought they'd do.

There are only two things that I've got issues with. The first is Dana's secondary story. We've done things similar to this before, and they weren't all that interesting back then. The second is with it being the brother as the insider. Admittedly it makes for an easier transition to what looks to be the main crux of the story, but I really would have liked to see it actually being the reporter with the use of the affair to help cover up any holes or problems. Failing that the wife would have been a better alternative, but we've seen the 'evil President's wife' bit, and I don't think anyone could match Penny Johnson Jerald in those stakes.

3. StateOfLoveAndTrust

StateOfLoveAndTrust Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2001
    Things are going pretty well so far, except for the fact that we're four hours in and they've already missed two opportunities to give AgentScoobyDoo a cool death, thereby pleasing everyone.

4. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I actually think Freddie Prinze Jr is doing a pretty good job.

I thought these last two were a step up from the first two. The season is looking solid so far. Only part I'm not that thrilled about is the Katee Sackhoff subplot. I'll have to see where it goes, but not looking good so far.

5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Isn't it obvious? She's going to kill him and cover it up and fail because Chloe is on to her. In doing so she's also going to taint Cole or get the other tech guy in on it. That or Chloe helps her and in doing so rises in prominance and everyone bows to her greatness.

I'm more interested in the fate of Hastings. Do we think fired or killed? He needs to join the long proud tradition of the CTU directors that have come before him.

And will Cole be maimed like Chase and the other guy or killed?

And lastly, when and how will Aaron Pierce make his appearance for the season?:p

6. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    More like another CTU director being portrated as ignorant and wrong. Which is par for the course with them (Mason, Driscoll, Even Bill and Karen were ignorant at first, and now Hastings)

As far as black authority figures, this is the show that has given us not one, but TWO African American Presidents of the United States both portrayed as very intelligent and honest. It's also given us a female president of equal intelligence while also giving us some females who were ignorant and wrong. 24 does a pretty good job of showing the best and worst of every nationality and gender. I wouldn't read too much into Hastings.

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Don't mind JM22. He always inexplicably brings up race when it doesn't need to be on certain topics.

8. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I thought the first 4 hours were absolutely amazing, with 3 and 4 being the strongest. Annie Wersching was incredible as Renee in 4 and I can't wait to see what they do with her character the rest of the way.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm really enjoying things so far- the NY setting is great (though the accents seem a bit forced for some of the cops), the new CTU is pretty sleek- similar enough to the old ones, but now underground to make escapes and breakouts more difficult, and more hi-tech toys like drones and handscanners, which pushes it's near-future setting (of, what is it now? 2018?) well enough.

I'm even finding myself liking FPJ's character, despite my intense desire to see him die on screen. :p The rush to intercept the manhole bomb was tense.

And Renee's character has been great so far, though oddly familiar...

(Jack/Renee) has a close loved one murdered in their first season, and then, in their second season, must resume a previous undercover identity to help track down nuclear materials being used by terrorists, cutting off an informant's body part with some kind of saw in order to facilitate that effort.

10. Vengance1003

Mar 4, 2006
    We still don't have a year set. Day 7 takes place on March 26, 2017, and both Chloe and Taylor mention doing things "a year ago". On that sprint phone thing on the FOX site, it says the day starts on May 26, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. I'm still betting it can't be a winter month, due to the lack of snow, so I'm thinking a year or a year-and-a-half.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I read somewhere that Day 8 is 8 months later than Day 7.

Also, refresh my memory- did Kim already have her kid in Day 7? Or was she just recently pregnant?

12. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Kim had her kid already, but I recall it being a lot younger.

13. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Solid start to the season, and people need to give Freddie Prinze a chance. He proved in a recurring bit on "Boston Legal" that he had the chops to do some good tv.

I think he's gonna be fine.

14. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    He's been very good, as has the whole show so far. And Renee was absolutely brilliant. My only gripes so far are:

1. I have nothing against Bubba as an actor (he was very good in Heat, a role he's borrowed from heavily so far) but could he stop ******* slouching?!!! He did it in Heat too, he's practically licking the floor half the time.

2. It kills me to say this, but Katee Sackoff has been an absolute disappoint so far. Her side plot is irritating, but even beyond that, I find her performance so far incredibly grating. It seems like she's posing all the time (watch the scene in hour 2 where she tells Bubba she found someone hacked into the UN computer). I get the impression her number one priority is making sure her hair his hanging on her shoulder correctly.

15. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    This is probably me reading too much into it, but I actually think this works for the character she's playing. The character seems to have created this facade that she is desperately trying to keep up at all times. If she's deliberately attempting to distance herself from her past as much as she can, she should be preoccupied with how she appears.

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Episode: Day 8: 9:00PM - 10:00PM (NEW)

"Renee confronts her painful past while trying to broker a deal with a well-connected German arms dealer; Dana comes up with a plan to quell her situation; Chloe puts Arlo in his place; the Hassans' turmoil jeopardizes the peace agreement."

17. Vengance1003

Mar 4, 2006
    I'm feeling that today's is going to be slow, but next week's will be totally awesome.

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah not much happened this episode besides Jack looking funny in those glasses and the (so-far) weak subplot with the Beerfest guy's solution to his youngest son's radiation poisoning.

19. Vengance1003

Mar 4, 2006
    I was hoping that something similar to Inglorious Bastards would happen, with Jack holding up the wrong fingers or sometime. :p

20. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Another fantastic episode last night. I loved the developments in the Russian brothers sub-plot, and Annie Wersching was brilliant once again. I love the slow, character-focused plots that have carried this season so far.

21. Vengance1003

Mar 4, 2006
    That knife almost has as many kills as Jack has this season. Seriously though, about half-way through, the episode decided to be awesome and start stabbing people.

22. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Looks like a 24 movie may be a real possibility. link

23. Vengance1003

Mar 4, 2006
    Considering how many times a movie discussion has been brought up, I wouldn't count on anything right now.

24. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Well last night was certainly interesting. Hassan's poofy hair seems to be taking control of his mind. And Rene finally did what most of us expected but the twist with Jack was quite nice especially his reaction. For a brief second, you actually thought she killed him.

So do we assume those two idiot robbers get caught or killed?

Also, does anyone else thing Jack's pain receptors are probably dulled by now. Next week's preview looked similar to other torture done in Season 2. And between that, the Chinese and the many others up til now, I have to think by now it probably just tickles. :p

25. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Given where the bad guy seemed to be putting the electrode, if Jack and Renee do hook up in the end and try to live happily ever after, you have to hope she doesn't want to have kids.