main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 24: The Jack Bauer Power Hour (and Spin-Offs)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2005.

1. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    It will skip over CTU's mandatory nap times.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Pilot and speculation are no more! Bonafide 12 episode series order (like Live Another Day, the season will do 24 hrs in 12 eps) for 24: Legacy.

http://deadline.com/2016/04/24-legacy-star-lee-daniels-series-order-fox-1201744988/

Funny enough, I think 24 originally only had a 12 ep initial order so if you go back and watch Season 1, the plotline seems to wrap up after 12 eps and then "Hey, there's a second shooter!" in the last 30 seconds.

... still no Bauer. But Sutherland is an executive producer. I mean, come on. Just wait, folks. Just wait.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    13 episodes, actually- but yeH, that's when they shifted away from Ira Gaines, wobbled about for a bit and then brought in Dennis Hopper.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Damn, I always forget the Dennis Hopper of it all. Jack shot the hell outta him, that was awesome.

5. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    They should do the time jump halfway through the season. Like maybe during the time that the two leads hook up and fall asleep afterwards.

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    24: Legacy is *the* post-Superbowl show! (In January. 2017). But post Superbowl? Holy cats! I haven't looked forward to a post-Superbowl show in, oh, ever.

(However, this is the bane of my birthplace, the Superbowl is simulcast on CTV in Canada - which doesn't broadcast 24, Global does - , so it overwrites the USA broadcast - I miss a lot of the Superbowl ads too with Canadian Tire ads - also the switchover from the Canadian broadcast to the US signal is a little dicey ... I can tell ya stories about how many blips or full minutes I have missed when that didn't happen on time. So hopefully I don't miss anything of this. People keep saying eventually the Canadian broadcast will not overwrite the US broadcast for the superbowl but I'll believe it when I sees it)

Anyway, here's also a photo of Corey Hawkins in character which I haven't seen before.

[​IMG]

Looks like he nabbed Jack's jacket from Live Another Day. and a variant the Jack sack! Maybe that's the legacy? Jack's jacket and Jack's sack!

Jack, Jack, Jack. I maintain he'll be in it, somehow, but will he be in the premiere? It's a post-Superbowl slot, best time to showcase him. But would they need it? It's the post-Superbowl slot, you can put up anything, really! (Also, the pilot I believe was already shot so would have Sutherland filmed a cameo on the DL that we don't know about)

The2ndQuest likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Trailer! 24 stuff happening. Big rolling thingie at the end = genius.

TX-20 and The2ndQuest like this.
  8. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    The only problem I have with this is the lack of an actual "twenty-four hour" season. The 12-part thing worked as a miniseries. But if you're trying to reset the clock, I'd prefer the full twenty-four.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd love that too but Fox = cheap, cheap. I just hope they come up with a more original idea to go through 24 hours in 12 eps than "we skipped 12 hours in an ad break" that they did in Live Another Day. I thought it worked well with the pace of the season's narrative but hoping they come up with a different trick this time.

Anyway, Jimmy Smits is the mole right? I mean, there's always a mole!

TX-20 likes this.
  10. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    That trailer makes me cautiously optimistic. I'm still not sure they can pull this off without Keifer Sutherland, but it didn't look bad.

Juke Skywalker, BigAl6ft6 and TX-20 like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm guessing the main character will be emotionally wounded from the first show (and physically. Hell, the first shot of the trailer is showing off his scars!) so he basically can kick off at, let's say, Bitter Jack Bauer Season 5 level from episode 1. Which is pretty darn bitter. But the Jack Bauer Bitterness Rage Scale basically explodes at Live Another Day (possibly the main reason I like LAD so much, Jack is crazier than usual) but you gotta work up to that.

TX-20 likes this.
  12. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    To be fair that trailer does look promising, but can they get past there being no Jack Bauer in it?

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think they can, with a break of time like they've had. Having 24 focus on other characters is something people wanted during the first half of the series run. It just became more difficult to break from Bauer the longer the series was about him.

TX-20 likes this.
  14. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I don't think so. We're talking a show nicknamed the Jack Bauer Power Hour. We'll see though.

Yes, but in that case we were talking about existing characters like Tony, Rene or Kate. Instead, we have a totally new cast. No returning characters whatsoever. The only thing sticking around is the clock and probably references to some of the events. I have the feeling this will go the way of another Legacy attempt: The Bourne Legacy. And we see how fast they went back to Jason Bourne.

The fact is there are some fans out there who will only accept Jack Bauer as the lead of 24 up to the point where he's 80 years old and waving a walker around screaming "Who are you working for?!" and then there are some ready for a fresh take. Honestly, I fall into the former category. I don't see the benefit of a 24 "Legacy" yet. All I see is Fox trying to cash in on name recognition. Name this show something else and it would just be another type of crime drama. Since it isn't even doing the full 24, it's even more ridiculous in some ways. We'll see if the writers can surprise us, but I remain cautiously optimistic for now.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    True, but, to be fair, the only reason there wasn't a direct Bourne Legacy sequel is because Greengrass & Damon came back/didn't want to do the team-up idea.

In this scenario, it's doubtful that Sutherland, as a producer on the show, would return to sideline the new hero (if anything, a Jack return would be used to support the new guy).

However, I think having a few years downtime opens the window for a clean break- it avoids feeling like a pattern breaker and becomes a spin-off.

16. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I would tend to agree with Yodaminch. I don't see this as much more than anything cashing in on the brand. Jack was the center piece of the show for years. If they were going to do a new show with a new cast, having the main character have been a student of Jack's or have worked with him like Kate would be superior than what we have been told of so far regarding the Corey Hawkins' character which doesn't inspire much in the way of the legacy of Jack Bauer.

At least in The Bourne Legacy, the program that Aaron Cross was a part of was derivative of Treadstone and Blackbriar. So far, at best the only connection we know of regarding the new 24 series being a legacy is that Hawkins' is seeking help from the CTU. I'd be willing to bet that you could probably change the title and replace the CTU with another government agency, and it wouldn't effect the show. Removing Jack from the center of the show, or not having anyone carrying on his legacy in the show just doesn't work IMO.

To be frank, instead of 24: Legacy this probably should have been called 24: The Next Generation because that's what this is.

17. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I've been rewatching the original series over the last couple weeks, and I had forgotten how brilliant the first two seasons were (Teri's amnesia and Kim's cougar notwithstanding).

TX-20, BigAl6ft6 and The2ndQuest like this.
  18. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    If they are willing to spend the money on a new series of 24 I don't know why they didn't go the whole hog and get Jack Bauer back in and virtually guarantee an audience. Because this is a huge gamble that may not pay off with new characters. Unless they plan to test the water with this and then bring him back anyway at some point in the future.

19. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I'm suddenly reminded of Season 4, which, apart from Jack and Chloe, began with an entirely new cast of characters. Then in the second half of the season, they reintroduced Michelle, Tony, and David Palmer.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Won't watch no trailer, no nothin'.

No Bauer=boycott

Long live Jack!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I admire Yoda's_Roomate passion even if I don't particularly agree with it.

I think the Season 4 analogy is apt and I highly doubt the entire season will fly by without any 24 vets eventually popping up, especially the big Jack himself because it'd just be incredibly unlikely if there's a new 24 show on the air, that Sutherland is an executive producer on, and they'd not mention or show Jack at all. Basically, I figure even with the title called "Legacy" you'd see some Legacy players eventually.

Semi-related, I watched "Forsaken" a Western with Keifer and Donald Sutherland and directed by Jon Cassar who literally did dozens of 24 episodes with Sutherland, and it certainly has that vibe. Kiefer's character is a reluctant, terse gunslinger haunted by his violent past and can't bring himself to pick up the weapon again, and there's a few moments where he'll take a beating to stop that. Yes, he eventually picks up the gun again, spoilers, and it's pretty messy. Also Michael Wincott (who was the hacker baddie in LAD) is in it as a hired guy who crosses paths with Keifer's character. Cassar has been doing TV action for years so I think he kind of relishes the chance to have some legit blood splatter on screen (yes, 24 was one of the more violent shows on TV but most of the gun kills on 24 didn't have a lot of blood flying)

Definitely recommended for 24 geeks as it has a very distinct feel, bit more of the emotionally traumatized Jack Bauer of the later years. If you wanna fannon / No Prize / Lost Crossover, I just like to pretend this is Jack Bauer's Flash-Sideways purgatory afterlife and/or some bizarre Russian "The Prisoner" style of head game imprisonment.

22. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999

If I was FOX, I would have this season be mostly stand alone, and then in the 2nd season, the new team sets out to rescue Jack from the Russians. Really the biggest problem I have with a whole new cast is we got no resolution for Jack's story. And I don't want some silly throw away line about him dying a Russian prison.

AndyLGR and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Honestly, this is how I would have approached it:

Kate Morgan is the main character. Her co-lead is the new guy Eric Carter.

Following the events of London, there has been another presidential election and Heller's VP was defeated by Senator Karen Buchanan (Only one not dead yet still familiar that I could think of. Plus it's not like Jayne Atkinson hasn't done other political roles recently). The new president has once again resurrected CTU Los Angeles and Kate has been transferred there. It's Eric's first day on the job. Jack is neither seen nor mentioned for the first half of the pilot. Halfway through, something happens that CTU's best analysts can't crack. So Kate calls in the best analyst ever: Chloe O'Brien. The first shot of Chloe shows her on a computer tirelessly searching for news on Jack since his capture by the Russians. She answers her phone and assists Kate and her new partner. After enabling CTU to do what they need going forward, Chloe declines to get involved further, citing her own mission as more important in typical sarcastic Chloe style. Exit Chloe. With that, Kate and Eric continue on their mission to stop the terrorist threat.

Politics side: President Buchanan is barely seen. The focus is on CTU and the bad guys. She only pops in and out when needed and has no subplot of her own.

What the above accomplishes: Establishes the new people while still tying back into the old universe. Answers the Jack question and gives us closure on Chloe as well while still leaving the door open for their own adventure some day. Brings us back to the days when the president wasn't a main character. Let some other politician in her team have that honor (think Keeler who barely did anything and had no big plot of his own).

jabberwalkie and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Does the Jack Bauer happy dance, which involves shooting people in the kneecap

http://deadline.com/2016/06/kiefer-sutherland-reprise-jack-bauer-character-24-legacy-1201770600/

“I do think the character has life in him, whether it’s a movie or if he intersects with this new iteration of 24, [Legacy],” Gordon said today during his master class at the ATX TV Festival in Austin. “I sure would love to see him at some point on the show, and I don’t think he’s ruled it out, either.”
    I’d heard Gordon and the team of 24: Legacy have an arc in mind for the second part of 24: Legacy‘s 12-episode first season that could involve Bauer if a deal comes together, but there are no talks going on at the moment with Sutherland for acting. He could do a couple of episodes as a guest star without creating a conflict with his leading-man duties onDesignated Survivor. There also is a possibility of other 24 original cast members reprising their roles in guest stints.
    Adding further credence to the possibility of a Jack Bauer comeback, when asked about the finale in Live Another Day, Gordon said, “I don’t know how public this is but we didn’t question or consider this being Jack’s last moment, Jack’s end. We couldn’t bring ourselves [to kill him].”

Interesting line here, if a tad brutal but also true. (Maybe they mean, aside from killing off Kim and her family, you can't torture Jack anymore with loss.)

Why did the 24 producing team decide to continue the franchise without Bauer at the center? “That character has, in fact, lost too much to be the center of an ongoing enterprise,” Gordon said.
    Hawkins’ character wouldn’t be a “copy of Jack Bauer” but would be “compelling in his own right,” he said, “Once we put Jack to rest as the center of the story, we could [do another story],” he explained.

TX-20 likes this.
  25. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    My 24 marathon is continuing, and I just finished season 3. It was an uneven season overall, but the prison break and the scenes at the Chandler Plaza Hotel were as great as I remembered them.

TX-20, heels1785 and BigAl6ft6 like this.