main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph To Boldly Trek Where Many Geeks Have Gone Before- VOY: Drive, Repression & Imperfection

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 25, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's Space Lincoln though- when he appears, it's not a transmission on the viewscreen, he literally appears against the starfield in front of the ship! When he says they're about to be over his position in a couple minutes, I thought he was just going to walk on board! [face_laugh]

Though, like I said, it's a good episode otherwise...it's just... it's Space Lincoln.

Now, had this been Aqua Teen Hunger Force, that would be more plausible (they have, afterall, had Time Lincoln in their closing credits, and subsequent movie) ;)

Space Lincoln has, however, provided the basis for my new favorite YTMND: President Lincoln Floating in Space

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    :p Plausibility, smausibility.

This is not only Space Lincoln, it's Star Trek.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's Star Trek, featuring Space Lincoln. It kinda feeds into the whole "shoulda called the show Time Trek" vibe.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    [face_laugh] True.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Since it technically occupies the space, in a semi-canon kinda way, of the timeline between TOS Season 3 and TMP, I figure I'd at least touch upon the subject of The Animated Series, even though I don't intend on watching the series, for anyone who might want to discuss it.

It seems to have at least 1 or 2 episodes that are considered fully canon- in particular an episode dealing with The Guardian of Forever and a young Spock establishing many aspects of Spock's childhood that were later referenced in other series, and a few other references have popped up over time in DS9, Enterprise and the TOS Remastered series that there seems to be an effort to bring the rest of the show into the fold as essentially the 4th year of the original 5-year mission in 2269.

It seems there were also a lot of sequels and returning characters from TOS- the aforementioned Guardian of Forever, tribbles, some of the Klingon characters, even (unfortunately) Harry Mudd. Not to mention the voice casting of most of the original crew cast. The animation format also allowed them to expand crew members into non-humanoid aliens, something few Treks have been ever able to do.

The show also established Kirk's middle name & made use of the Rec Room (holodeck) that never had a chance to be implemented on TOS. And supposedly, had Enterprise gone on to a 5th season, the Kzinti race introduced here would have been featured.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Have never seen this at all, and didn't know it was the source of so much information.

7. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Same here, well I did know about the information I've never bothered checking out TAS.

8. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    It used to come on Nickelodeon in the '80s. I seem to remember one where the Enterprise releases a full-size, inflatable replica of itself to use as a decoy. I always liked the art, and the alien character Arex was pretty cool.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Some pics:

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/c/ca/Orion_pirate_ship.jpg] [image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/d/dc/Animated_crew.jpg] [image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/b/be/Arex.jpg]

[image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/b/b4/Lactran.jpg] [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/7/77/ChuftCaptain.JPG] [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/1/1b/Enterprise_and_Klothos.jpg] [image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/a/ab/Spock_enters_the_Guardian_of_Forever_%282269%29.jpg]

[image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/b/b6/Shirkahr2237-night.jpg] [image=http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/amoktime/new_spock_beamout.jpg] (background)

10. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Ship looks better animated. I'm surprised Checkov isn't there.

11. somethingfamiliar

Aug 20, 2003
    They didn't have enough money to include Walter Koenig.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Though apparently Walter wrote an episode, so he was still involved in some manner.

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Did they have the voices of the rest of the crew?

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yep- Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley, Doohan, Takei, Nichols & Barrett all reprised their roles.

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I actually wouldn't mind seeing that. Is it out on DVD?

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yep, they put out the whole series a yearr or two ago.

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Ah, good.

18. JediofJade

JediofJade Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 1999
    I just thought I'd throw this out there.

Today I was at the bank (drive through), waiting to get a check deposited. I suddenly hear a very familiar song: it's the theme for TNG. I look to my left and see part of a woman (the part not obscured by the suction-tube thingy), and she's flailing her arms around, obviously having a grand time pretending to conduct the music. I am in disbelief for a moment before I start (surreptitiously) jamming along myself. When the final beat comes, the triplet duh-duh-duh DUH, she makes a massive down-swing gesture and then leans back with a grin on her face, like, "Yeah, I'm awesome."

And, you know, it was kind of awesome. Good for her. :)

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture: The Director's Edition
    After an eighteen-month refit process, the Starship Enterprise is ready to explore the galaxy once again. But when a huge, invincible cloud approaches Earth, Admiral James T. Kirk must assume command of his old ship in order to stop it.

T2Q Comments: The intro to the movie with the 3 minutes of just space I could have done without. Interesting setup with the Klingons and threat to Earth. New uniforms are awful.

The parade of the refitted Enterprise is the highlight of this film, IMO- good sense of scale, and the expanded shuttlebay design seems practical and logical.

Uhura spottin a nice 70's doo, and nice nods to the original series with Decker's name, as well as appearances by Rand and, later, Chapel.

The transporter malfunctions is appropriately disturbing/gruesome (and surprising, given the original G rating of this movie prior to it's video rereleases). Enjoyed Bones' introduction too ("Probably redesigned the whole medlab too- I know Engineers- they LOVE to change things!"). The whole wormhole sequence is generally pointless and really, really annoying- the slow-mo exposes the bald chick's actually bouncing herself in the chair, looks really bad.

Why do they not try to EVADE V'Ger's attacks? Starfleet trooper costumes really, really bad, with the helemts that look like flattened footballs squashed around their heads.

"Any show of resistance would be futile"- amusing comment from Spock given the suggested connections between V'Ger and the Borg.

Whole entering V'Ger sequence really has a deep-sea exploration vibe to it, come to think of it, but really goes on for waaaay too long- lots of neat FX, but nothing really happening.

Another good sense of scale with the shot of them standing out on the saucer (gotta pay attention or the saucer emergence distracts from the formation of the bridge to it).

Up until they enter V'Ger the movie's really not that bad, but once the bald chick shows up as the probe, the pacing and stuff kinda goes downhill quickly.

The V'ger/Voyager twist is neat, though a bit repetitive if you've seen The Changeling episode of TOS; and I gotta wonder- is the blue deflector on the Refit because of V'Ger? Cause it's never blue until they emerge from the V'Decker birth explosion.

Overall, not as bad as I had recalled, but could have used about 20 mins trimmed from runtime. Drop the stuff with Spock on Vulcan and just have his entrance be as surprising to the viewer as it is to the crew, eliminate the whole first attempt at warp/wormhole sequence, the 3 min of empty space, shrink the voyage into V'Ger, etc. In fact, I smell a Quest's Qut coming on... ;)

While a good crew reunion movie (though Rand and Chapel vanish for the most part after this point), it still has pacing issues and not much in the way of action. Not quite as relentlessly boring in pace as, say, 2001, but it's part way there.

If the supposed Borg connection was one day made more concrete (anMOQ3vTy9k[/media] of a video game), I might consider this "potentially essential", but despite it being the introduction of the refitted Enterprise (my favorite Star Trek ship design, I must admit- so long as the deflector's glowing blue ;)), it's just not enough at this point to warrant a true recommendation for anyone but the real Trek fan (I refrain from saying "hardcore Trek fan" if only because that dubious distinction must be kept in reserve to anyone willingly submitting themselves to the fifth movie- for purposes other than this thread ;) ). I think this film would ultimately be labeled "average", but only average for Star Trek, not average for movies in general.

Up next, from hell's heart, I watcheth thee- Star Trek II: The Wrath of KHAAANNNN!

20. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Overall a boring movie, I admit I really like the first half of the movie and I can watch it with interest but as soon as they enter V'Ger my brain just gives on it. :p However the movie has one saving grace which you didn't mention: the amazing soundtrack.

Finally we have something in common. ^^

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There was bound to be some common ground! ;)

And, yes, the score by Goldsmith is amazing-it's one of the things that really makes that Enterprise parade so moving, and obviously the theme was so effective it eventually became the theme for The Next Generation.

And, yeah, right about when they enter V'Ger is about when the Bald Chick Probe arrives shortly after, and it really does siderail the whole movie.

It's funny, when you think about the lack of action in the movie- in the course of the whole movie, Enterprise only fires it's weapons once- and they're not even fired at the threat or enemy, but rather... a rock.

22. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    That would be Roddenberry. He was so gung-ho about the future being a utopia that he tended to forget that a good story can't happen without something bad happening to create conflict. He hated the overt militarization of Starfleet and the Enterprise in the sequels, but as many have pointed out the military/police aspect was always a part of the series as well.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it does seem like Roddenberry allowed his vision to go unchecked at the cost of the story at times in both TOS and TMP. He had some decidedly 60's notions that can't hold up under constant use within the structure of a narrative intended to adventurous.

24. somethingfamiliar

Aug 20, 2003
    I just saw the DVD cut this year after not seeing the movie since the '80s. I thought it was fantastic. Basically, I liked all the stuff The2ndQuest didn't.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Even the uniforms? :p