main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph To Boldly Trek Where Many Geeks Have Gone Before- VOY: Drive, Repression & Imperfection

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 25, 2006.

1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Originally, the movie was scripted to end with a battle between the Enterprise and the captured Klingon ship from early in the film (which would have included a saucer separation), but after everything had dragged on for as long as it had, it was decided to cut that out.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Funny you bring that up- I had heard about the saucer separation sequence being deleted, but I had assumed it had something to with V'Ger attacking or something. Yet, while rewatching the movie for this thread, when they said the bald chick was stored as data, and we later saw the federation station as such in Spock's journey, I had wondered what that meant for the Klingons and if they would pop up again.

3. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    Actually, I do like the uniforms. I could do without the spandex one-piece "look at my wang" variant, though.:p

There's a yellow or gold version I don't think you ever see onscreen. I know there's a publicity shot with the cast on the bridge with one or two wearing the yellows. And I had an action figure of Scotty in the yellows. They did a line of figures at the same scale as the Star Wars figures.

I've been checking out this site for a while. It has a good bit of info about the production of TMP.

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I thought my DVD was broken when I saw the 3 minutes of just space in the beginning.

5. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I love the beginning. It's a classic Hollywood overture, and it gently, majestically brings you into the world of the film.

6. CaptainBinaca

CaptainBinaca Jedi Master star 3

Jul 15, 2005
    They did the same overture bit with 2001. I guess that was a "sci-fi epic" routine move back then.
    I'm one of the very small minority who believes that if you trim about 15 minutes from TMP it would be neck and neck with Khan as the best Trek. The story of the probe that gains sentience and returns home with all the knowledge in the universe with the desire to join with humanity is superb SF (even if the Changeling episode did go there a bit) and Wise's direction was wonderful. The humor was missing, but that served the films first half well, building up the tension. As far as the proposed Klingon battle, it would have taken away from the drama of the V'Ger/Decker union. Maybe it could have shown up during the union while Kirk, et al, were with Voyager 6; Scotty would be on the bridge trying to take care of this Klingon threat as an action counterpoint to what's going with Decker. But then you run into the problem of everything being patterned for storage, so where is this Klingon ship coming from? Ah, well.
    The Score was my second favorite after James Horner's work on II and the shot of the Enterprise emerging from the exploding V'Ger is as good as it gets.
    In the Director's Edition they finally show us a full shot of the V'Ger spacecraft which was worth the wait.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Though I had seen the "Star Trek: The Motionless Picture" jab description before, looking up info on this movie for this thread, I came across one I hadn't seen before which gave me a good chuckle, referring to the similarity to The Changeling- "Star Trek: Where Nomad Has Gone Before" [face_laugh]

8. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    The Director's Edition definitely improved this movie. It is still a very long movie, but really I wouldn't rate it as the worst of the original cast movies (V: TFF is definitely the worst), but really it gives us the main thing (a new Enterprise) and this is a very big change to the previous series and the other movies of the original cast as well.

In the following movies, we get to see the newer Enterprise attacked, battered, and eventually destroyed (so that in IV we get a Klingon ship instead). V makes the mistake of still using a more enhanced "A" version, but it's essentially the same ship, so again in VI it is finally decommissioned, but of course Kirk has other plans for it.

9. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    same here ive seen it myself :(

for all the other trek movies out there this is the closest to the orginal series and more
    I think of this as Star Trek meets AI or Blade Runner, terminator, matrix
    Y'know the relationship with humans and machines

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I really can't recall if I've seen it.

11. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    Quest, have you viewed the text commentary on this one yet? Those are always interesting. The one for II or III even gleefully pointed out some scientific inaccuracies contained in the dialogue.:-B

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, I haven't, though since I own 2-4,6-8&10, I might look into those eventually.

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The second movie I *did* see...

14. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
  15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Indeed. :D

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Patience! The thread will jump back to warp soon- in the mean time, enjoy our impulse cruise ;)

17. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    But... but there's a starship heading our way and not answering our hails. What shall we do?

18. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006

Depends... if it's the Reliant, then "We're all one happy fleet"... that likes to "Eat static"... :rolleyes:

19. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Well they did go to yellow alert and it did give Khan to quote an awesome Fren... er I mean Klingon proverb. :p

20. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006

You mean this one: Revenge.

21. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Of course. :p

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: The Director's Edition
    Admiral James T. Kirk faces his greatest challenge yet. Suffering through doubts about his place in the galaxy, he is thrust into action once more against his most bitter foe?Khan Noonien Singh, who has escaped his exile on Ceti Alpha V and now seeks revenge on Kirk. With a powerful new device in the wrong hands, and a no-win scenario in play, the cost of victory for the Starship Enterprise may prove too high.

T2Q Comments: The movie opens with a caption: "In the 23rd Century..", I wonder if this was an attempt to coin an equivalent to "A Long Time Ago..."?; I like how the training mission comes across as almost a perfect cliche or parody of Star Trek, epitomized by the cheesey "shields collapsing, captain!" actor with his turning delivery; We also have Shatner's ego entering the movie before Shatner does.; "Galloping around the universe is a game for the young" "Now what is that supposed to mean?" Ah, yes, shallow Uhura returns.

Kirk getting his command back seems a bit of a repetitive plot element from the first movie, though it seems to have a heavier and less greedy weight to it here; probably good to note that the Reliant is, I believe, the first non-Constitution class Federation starship we've seen outside of transports and shuttles.

Paul Winfield plays a Starfleet officer in this movie, he would later portray an Earthforce officer on Babylon 5, which also featured Walter Koeing, whom he is beside in TWOK, as Bester (though not in the same episode).

Khan has awesome gloves.

Pity we don't see the sandgear costumes more. Burrowing bugs into the ear is very horrorish, more so than we've seen in Trek before. A lot of reused dock leaving shots from first movie- ship lacks blue deflector until 3 shots out. And, yeah. Kristie Aley was smokin' in this flick. Genesis sequence still pretty effective FX work even 25 years later.

Though positioned to be a shock, having Scotty carry a dead body onto the bridge seems a little much, when presumably it would be faster and more logical to carry him to sickbay.

Spock: "Jim, be careful." Bones: "WE will." [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

...and we come to the most iconic scene- the "buried alive" conversation resulting in KHAAAAN! The only flaw here, and it's one that's really nagged me about this movie as much as I love it, is that Kirk knew the Enterprise would be back to beam them away, so he knew he wasn't stranded there or that Khan had bested him- this, one of the more emotional and desperate outcrys by Kirk in the entire franchise, let alone a film-defining one, wasn't actually genuine and was, at best, an act, at worst an outburst of rage that shouldn't have been there given what Kirk knew he had planned.

Great submarine-like tactical battle, more sub-to-sub than the depth-charge parable of Balance of Terror. Great end to a villain as well- "From hell's heart, I stab at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.". And he gets to die believing he won, which is awesome.

Spock's death I imagine was a shocker back then, but it's executed very organically within the story's narrative, so it really works well- and remain effective since they didn't tack on any ending tease hinting at Spock's return (like the torpedo casket opening up, for example).

In the end, no surprise, this one is absolutely essential. And the best part? you don't have to watch the first movie to use this one as a jumping-on point. :D

[image=http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/insp_kobayashi_preview.jpg] [image=http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/insp_revenge_preview.jpg] [image=http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/insp_khan_preview.jpg]

"Remember." Up next: Star Trek III: The Search For Spock (OMG, spoiler alert! :p )

23. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    Spock's death I imagine was a shocker back then, but it's executed very organicly within the story's narative, so it really works well- and remain effective.

I remember going to see it at a theatre with a friend of mine, and even though this was pre-internet, there was lots of discussion in the media and at the watercooler about Spock dying. Would he or wouldn't he? The death wasn't as shocking in itself (since there was so much speculation), as just watching it unfold on the screen. Having grown up watching all those old TV episodes, it felt surreal to see him killed off. At the time it was quite emotional to watch the funeral service.

In fairness to director Robert Wise, the first movie was completed in EXTREME haste, they came very, very close to not making the release date. If he had had more time, for testing, trimming, evaluating, it might not have been the train wreck it was. But the studio handled the project in such a way that allowed for no time cushion, no margin of error. He was mixing the sound track and completing the editing very close to the release date to theatres. IIRC, late delivery of special effects shots was part of the problem, too.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Easily the best of the Trek films, simply because it's a very well-adapted Moby Dick for the most part.

Nicholas Meyer, funny story. He really did work his way up from the very, very bottom at Paramount (he reviewed scripts, did archival work, wrote The Love Story Story, etc.) and was very respectful of the source material to begin with which probably explains his getting the directorial nod for one of the then-current crown jewels of the Paramount franchising.

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Meyer wrote the even numbered Trek films: 2, 4 & 6 and directed 2 and 6. Big surprise that they are the best of the lot. I liked this movie a lot; oddly, both the second movies in the Star Wars and Star Trek franchises are the best.