main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

25,000 years vs. 30 yrs?!?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by TheOutrider, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheOutrider

TheOutrider Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    Have you guys ever reallised how pathetic and weak the empire is that it lasted only thirty yeas, from 19 ABY to 11 BBY, when the Republic lasted 25,000 years. This seems to be a huge blunder in the saga, after all of Obi-Wan's reamrks in ANH that made the emnpire sound like it had lasted a long, long time. And, even at that, the empire in all its glory only lasted 23 years, and was reduced to the imperial remnant by the new republic for its reaminder of 7 years!

2. Darthdias

Darthdias Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    It think it's fitting. In comparison, Hitler's regime, that was supposed to last for a thousand years, only lasted 13 years.

In ANH, it was always clear that Obi-Wan spoke about a time period that he himself had taken part in. At least for me seing it for the first time, I assumed that Obi-Wan had seen the destruction of the Jedi and the emerge of the Empire first hand. So it couldn't have been older than maybe 40 years. This isn't a blunder in the new movies, Lucas just shaved of about ten years when he made his new trilogy. I think I read somewhere that the Empire was orginally suposed to have been created 30 years before ANH and that Lucas then changed it to 20.

But either way, the Empire was never suposed to be very old.

3. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    30 years is longer than any fascist government on earth i believe. As someone pointed out, even the Nazis only last just over a decade.

4. Curufinwe

Curufinwe Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    Plus we know that one unified Republic hasn't existed in the GFFA for 25,000 years; it has gone through several different constitutions and regimes. Palpatine mentions that the current Republic has "only" been around for 1000 years.

5. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    The Old Republic was politically re-established after the Battle of Ruusan, the culminating engagement of the Light and Darkness War, circa 1,032 BSW4 or thereabouts.

Not coincidentally, this also being same the battle where all but one of the Sith Lords were destroyed -- from whence the title "Revenge of the Sith" derives its meaning -- with this survivor instituting the so-called "Rule of Two."

6. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    You simply cannot deviate from your destiny. Palpatine knew from the beginning that Anakin would bring balance to the Force and that his Empire would only be temporary. From a theatrical point of view, Palpatine thought he was immortal, since he would need only apprentices and no heir or son. It's his blindness that is the ruin. But it all comes down to the fate of the Chosen One to bring balance to the Force and destroy the Sith.

7. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Anything that's bad won't stay for long. [face_shame_on_you]

Eventually good takes it over no matter how strong the bad is.

8. DarthSerta

DarthSerta Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005

That´s true , it´s in The "Jedi vs Sith" comic , in this comic the Rule of two is fully explained and we get to know the first Sith to live by this rule: Darth Bane.

9. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    I agree, if you look at the early parts of History the mediocer empires even lasted more than 100 years [face_laugh] (This is what 10th grade history does). Yeah if you look at the big picture in SW timeline, the Epire reign was only like a centimeter of exsistance.

Good Stuff

10. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    To say nothing of an entire novel coming out next year covering Darth Bane's entire life; from his childhood, to him gaining the Sith Lord mantle, up through the foundation of the "Rule of Two."

Should be a major one.

11. soriano329

soriano329 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    The incredible thing about the empire is that it was able to break up 25,000 years of what was the republic.

12. newwillorder

newwillorder Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2004

Well Obi-Wan's remarks also imply that he was still around when the Republic was still around so how much longer could the Empire have stood? 50 years as opposed to 30? Still very small compared to 25,000 (and I go by the movies over the EU - the Republic only stood for 1,000 years).

I think what made the Empire so important was how it came about and the impact it had on the galaxy. Let's not forget that the Empire completely obliterated the Jedi Order, which has probably been around longer than the Republic.

13. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    For around 24 years. It began just before Luke was born, and lasted until the end of ROTJ. The celebration that occurs after the Empire is defeated pokes some nice big holes in the EU crap that has the Empire continuing on, and thank all applicable deities for that. The continuity spackle is pretty funny, though. "That celebration was only a riot. It was quickly squashed by the stronger-than-ever Empire."

Which remarks? Because I recall him saying that he was a Jedi Knight, the same as Luke's father, and that the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.

14. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Perhaps he meant that Obi-Wan's comments implied that the Empire has withstood longer then what it really did. Obi-Wan implied a lot of other things too that weren't completely true. ;)

15. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    At best, Obi Wan implied that it stood for maybe 10 years more than it actually did.

16. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I think it hit Yoda and Obi-Wan the hardest, because Order 66 and Palpatine's alter-ego nearly destroyed the Jedi, the backbone of the Republic (and the long arm of the Senate). For the average moisture farmer, simply a brief change in leadership, albeit a harsh and repressive 30 years, but that's about it. The Jedi suffered the most, so it's the darkest point in Jedi history since the times that Mace referred to ("the oppression of the Sith will never return!")

17. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    This logic flies in the face of why you would even tell the story in the first place. The SW Saga is about the most critical time in the GFFA. Six movies about a peacful Republic wouldve been kind of bland, dont you think? Jesus, according to some people on these boards 1 3/4 movies about a peaceful Republic almost sank the whole Saga.

18. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I agree. People want to see conflict.

19. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Exactly.

The Empire may be a small blip on the Republic's timeline--but humans are also a small blip on Earth's timeline, and Earth a small blip on the universe's timeline.

Star Wars is about taking a 25,000 year reign of peace of prosperity and then looking at that 30 year revolution and examining it over a six film saga. The most epic of events occur across relatively short eras. But what eras they are!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.