main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

25Th Anniversary Silver R2

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by k3po, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grey

Grey Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 25, 2002
    yep, i agree 100% with you bushifox

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "If you do return the merchandise for a refund (which you need a receipt for) the retail chains are required for you to return the R2 as well. They can deny you a cash refund if you don't return it. It's supposed to be this way at all retail outlets.

Of course, when I got mine at TRU, they just handed it to me from the customer service desk, after I had checked out, so it wasn't on my receipt. So it's kind of their own fault for not ringing it up properly.
    "

That's exactly what went on at mine. :)

3. Grey

Sep 25, 2002
    At my TRU you just had to show them the receipt for $20 or more at the customer service desk too - just like at many other TRUs so it wasn't on my reciept either.

If you return the stuff and keep the R2 you are basically stealing and if they ask you to return it and you Just act like, "What R2-D2?" then you are lying.

I guess if everyone does that and they see that all the R2s are gone but sales aren't up from TRU's, then maybe they won't do promotions like this in the future.

Those are just my thoughts.

4. ThePostman

ThePostman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    my friend bought and returned the Slave 1 and then bought $20 of stuff and got another one... :D

5. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    I still need to get it! :(

6. BushiFox

BushiFox Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2002
    Well, if all of us collecting losers prove to be such greedy little pigs, it serves us right to not get any freebies like this.

Did anyone see that ebay auction that sold a sealed case of the silver r2's...32 in the box...it sold for 650 dollars...This ended like, 3 days ago...is this not a new low for collectors everywhere?

I'm ashamed to even talk to some of you people.

7. JediJunkie247

JediJunkie247 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2002
    I haven't even been able to catch a glimpse of this thing yet.

8. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "Did anyone see that ebay auction that sold a sealed case of the silver r2's...32 in the box...it sold for 650 dollars...This ended like, 3 days ago...is this not a new low for collectors everywhere?"

Yes, I did. Probably run by our friendly neighborhood Brian. :p

9. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    I don't believe in returning the merchandise and keeping the promo item myself, but honestly, the stores have a UPC for the R2, and are supposed to be ringing it up for 1 cent each time they give one away. I may just be playing devil's advocate here, but it's also the stores fault if they're allowing this loophole by not following the correct procedures.

If they're not scanning them, they obviously don't care about they're promotional inventory.

It's a lot like the Celebration 2 Jorg Sacul problem. They didn't stamp passes or hinder in any way the "limit 2 per person" rule at the convention, hence people ended up hording them. Both sides are to blame.

10. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    I only bought one Jorg Sacul. I have NO idea why I didn't buy two! :mad:

I had no problem getting mine either and I only waited in line about 10 minutes! :)

11. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    ok, so i ordered 2 of the silver r2's off of the amazon web site, and they only sent me one! i emailed them asking why i only recieved one instead of 2... they replied it was appeared to be lost... i dont get it since i ordered them both at the same time, how could they have lost one, and not the other?

12. Jedijace007

Jedijace007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    To the guys who said "returning the merchandice + keeping the R2 is stealing", I say this: TRU CHARGED me for my "free R2" I know it was only a penny, but since i did PAY for mine, i think thats different.I didnt ask for a refund of 1 cent ;) Also, there is this factor to consider: My first silver R2 was in the Most miserable shape ever. I returned my slave one, with the hopes of getting a better condition R2 (which I didnt anyways) I feel a bit screwed by TRU. Oh well. A good friend of mine hooked me up with his second R2, which was mint, so he could open my crappy one. So I have 2. A crappy one to save for 20 years, and one for my private (never ever sell) collection. I dont plan on returning the other stuff I bought, but They DID charge me for the second one too, so I wouldnt feel bad if I did. OH! did anyone go to Wal-mart at midnight to get the AOTC DVD? That was yet another great experience. A friend and I got to keep some REALLLY cool (and huge) cardboard displays. AND they did the price match for the TRU $9.99 DVD. We got to keep the TRU Ad' so we kept passing it on from fan to fan. Almost everyone got the DVD for $9.99, and there were a TON of people there. Props Wal-mart.

13. Grey

Sep 25, 2002
    I didn't want to start an arguement, i was just stating my opinion. Besides not everyone payed a penny for theirs. If you feel right doing it then do it.

14. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I got two R2s today, I went to TRU with my friend, Viper442, and had him buy half of it to make sure I had no problem getting two. The lady was a little crabby, and was like HERE they all are, people have been really picky about which one they want. Whatever. I got two, so i can open one, and save one :) but man! The cards were almsot all bent and stuff. I was appalled. BUt it was free. And my friend was like "hey i could have taken two or more she wasn't paying attention at all. I almsot did" but he didn't. Oh, well. :)

15. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Got my Amazon replacement today in much better shape. How I just have to figure out how to return the first one.

16. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    They still have some silver Artoos here in San Diego. I can't believe he didn't sell out on the first day. I thought the figure would be much more popular than it ended up being.

17. jedidavid

jedidavid Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 11, 2000
    Look, if you bought the merchandise to get the Artoo and then turned right around and returned said merchandise to get the Artoo for "free", then you are a thief. Period. I don't care how you try to parse it, I don't care how stupid the cashiers are, everyone here knows darn well the promotion is for a free Artoo with a $20 purchase. If I swindle some old lady out of her rent money because she's too dumb to figure it out then I guess that'd be OK too, right?

Don't tell me Toys R Us owes you, and don't tell me Hasbro owes you...Jeez, just spring for $20 worth of toys and if you don't want them then donate them to some charity this Christmas. You could have bought it at Amazon too. But to try to legitimize theft because "They were too stupid to figure it out" is just sad. Don't be so cheap.

18. buster726

buster726 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    you obviusly are just jumping to conclusions about what you are reading. At my TRU the sign said silver R2 with $20 purchase so I'm assuming you have to spend at least $20. So I bought the gunship I didn't want to but anything to get that R2 if they charged me $10 just for R2 still would have bought it.

19. JediJunkie247

JediJunkie247 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2002
    The thing he is complaining about is people buying $20 worth of stuff, getting the silver R2, then returning the $20 of merchandise and getting a refund. So essentially, they get the R2 without buying anything.

I have to agree with him. If the deal is a silver R2 with $20 purchase, you shouldn't be able to keep the R2 if you return the stuff. If you don't want what you bought, just take it to a toy drive. I'm sure the Marine Corps. Toys for Tots program would appreciate it.

20. Jedijace007

Jedijace007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Ok. "Jedidavid" I think you might have a small reading problem. 1st of all, I said that one of the main reasons I went back for another artoo, is because the first one I got was in absolutly CRAP shape. I think that for the $20 I spent I should have gotten a mint one. Secondly, As I said before, I KEPT the second $20 of stuff I bought. I specifically TOLD the TRU manager that I didnt WANT my recipt back. I planned on keeping the stuff. You seem very arrogent to be calling me a thief when you dont even know me. I'm the most honest person out there. HOW DARE you call me a thief? I was in Mcdonalds yesterday, and they gave me my food without charging me. I could have LEFT and had a free meal, but i went back and MADE the cashier charge me for the $5 worth of food.
    Would you just accept a trashed silver R2? I doubt it. I have my own set of morals. Dont judge me on them. You need to go and bug these morons on here who returned stuff 6 or 7 times, and got 6 or 7 R2's. Not the guy who just wanted a better one.

Oh, and "grey", I was just kidding around. I was'nt Really mad at all of you who called it stealing. Nothin personal man.

I APPOLOGISE to the rest of you if I seem rude.I just dont like it when some kid who doesnt even know me calls me a thief(ugggh! Hate that!!). Sorry everyone.

21. Grey

Sep 25, 2002
    That is fine and i am not mad or whatever at anyone about it. I don't believe 'judging' anyone is the right thing to do so i try not to, I was just stating my opinion.

Everything is cool :)

22. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    I wish everyone would stop blasting everyone that says "oh I got a second one, and it was free." Who cares how many everyone gets and for what costs. With all the crap we buy, If you can get a free one, bonus for you. Its better for everyone that can get one for $0.01 than buying one for $40 from a scalper. I personally could care less, I got mine with my Gunship and am happy that I got one and so did everyone else here. But I dont get all worked up if someone says they bought 2 and got the second one for free. Its not that big of a deal guys, it really isnt. So calm down, your turning this thread into a lousy topic.

23. jedidavid

jedidavid Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 11, 2000
    Actually I get mad when someone refers to me as " some kid ". I'm in my 30's and have two kids of my own. If one of my kids pulled a stunt like this they'd be grounded two days ago.

If you legitematly bought your merchendise then I've got no problem with that. I wasn't even speaking to anyone in particular, but was commenting on the thread in general. For months people have been griping about this promo because they felt TRUS or Hasbro owed them something. Also, everyone has seen the posts where people brag about getting this thing for free, and that I have a problem with. If it was intended to be free or 1 cent or whatever then why didn't you guys walk out the door with it? It's free, right? You didn't do that because everyone knows that IS stealing. To me, buying something and returning it to get this promo is the same thing. Everyone knows this wasn't supposed to be a freebie on its own. Taking advantage of the foolish clerks who don't know better is wrong too.

If you paid for your merchendise and got this fair and square then fine. If you scammed it then you are a thief. You may not want to acknowledge it that way, but I don't know any other way of putting it. Seriously, donate the extra toys to Toys for Tots. You get what you want and you help out a kid who could use a hand.

No Jace, I wasn't talking to you. I WAS talking to the people who scammed several of them. I honestly don't look at names. And no, I don't have a reading problem. And actually, if all I could was a crummy one I'd just live with it. I wouldn't be happy about it, and I'd keep my eyes open for another but I'd live with it.

24. TOBBI_DALA

TOBBI_DALA Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2002
    Didnt mean to turn this thread into an all-out war with name calling and finger-pointing. The promotion was good, but i think the smart thing to do going forward would be for Hasbro to finally get off their duffs and come up with a use for those Jedi Master Points. By now, i should have enough to buy the Millenium Falcon. The old promotions that Kenner used to run, you had to cut out the POPs on the backs of the cards to get the figures (4LOM & Anakin Skywalker). This way, the figures are actually bought and paid for, and there is no returning merchandise to the store. In fact, if you didnt want to destroy the card, you basically had to go out and buy a duplicate of the figure so you could get the POP off of the card.

25. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Okay, lets all calm down and return to discussing the figure itself. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.