main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Comics The JC Lit Comic Reviews Special: Knights of the Old Republic: FLASHPOINT INTERLUDE: HOMECOMING

Discussion in 'Literature' started by 000, Feb 10, 2007.

1. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005

Up today is "[link=http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/24320226/]Flashpoint Interlude: Homecoming[/link]," a one-shot brought to you by Häagen-Dazs.

Some rules: rate "Flashpoint Interlude: Homecoming" on a scale of [b]1 to 5[/b], supplementing your rating with a review, if you want to (it's not necessary but is highly encouraged). Please do not rate or review the story until after you've read the whole thing, and remember to review the entire story, not just a single issue. Re-reading the arc in its entirety is recommended, although obviously not required. Thanks. [face_happy]

EDIT: Just for you, Sephy.

2. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    homecoming was very good in my book.Lucien is probably the most interesting character in KOTOR. Wouldn't mind seeing more stand alones involving him.

I give it a 4 out of 5.

3. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

5/5. Without a doubt. One of my favorite comics that I have read thus far. It answers some questions but opens up a whole lot more. Of course, it's tone is much.....creepier than most of the other KoToR comics but that has to be expected in this era. Things like the butchering of Padawans was dark but was pretty much an isolated little event in an issue with more humorous things going on.

I thought that the council scene was very well done. You could almost feel how frantic the council had become in the wake of recent events. Robed figure goes in...comes out...Covenant goes in....Lucien spouts off his horrible prearranged little speech. The council chamber is silent when finally Vrook says "To Lead the search!?!?!" My take has always been that if there were not so many problems at this time our fallen Jedi friends would have been cast out of the order right then and there....and they still had the audacity to ask that they be allowed to lead the search.

Carnage

4. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    4/5

Homecoming loses a whole point just for the fact that DH and the Wookiee and Force knows who else all insist on calling it "Flashpoint Interlude". If not for the kriffing delays, it would've been after Flashpoint, but they wouldn't have called it "Flashpoint Epilogue", would they? I don't think so. Noob wasn't "Broken Interlude", right? So why do they insist on calling it "Flashpoint Interlude"? I find this as obnoxious, if not more obnoxious, than people insisting on abbreviating the full title of SW:DB:pOD:ANotOR.

5. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    It's a different creative team than Legacy, which means that they're entitled to make different creative choices. Like the title. :)

6. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    No matter where Homecoming is put,(beginning, middle, end)it's still better than the other 3. I rate them seperately like this...

#7-3.5
    #8-4
    #9-5
    #10-4.5

Overall-4.5

I still think it's the best series out there.

7. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    18/4 = 4.5

Bumping for the TPB.

8. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    How is it being TPB-ed? Is it included in the Flashpoint TPB?

9. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Yeah.

Sorry, should've been more specific.

10. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Lucien is one of the most interesting characters in EU today, add in Ching art and you have an absolute winner of a story here. 5/5

11. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    According to JJM, this was never meant to be an interlude. The proper sequence of events is restored in the TPB.

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    An issue entirely devoted to a B-plot about the villains? Yeah, and it's fascinating. JJM answers questions by creating even more questions, and it's a highlight of the series. I'm very intrigued. Ching's art is rich, if not quite up to his Commencement high-water-mark. And the story is just . . . well, it makes me want to see more of the Covenant. It's a little more gripping than Zayne's time-killing and getting-in-position in the surrounding arcs, though Zayne's story seems to be heating up again.

4.75/5

13. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    5/5

It is a good issue. Lucien's past and the appearance of that hooded figure make it one of the more interesting pieces of KotOR. Loved to see the old Jedi Council, too.

14. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    4.5 out of 5

This was a brilliant issue, and I would love to see more like this in the future. I loved seeing more of the Jedi Covenant here, and it really helped humanize them, especially Lucien. Before they were the intimidating, big bad Jedi Masters, but here, their status isn't quite as impressive, with them taking a beating from the Council, and then Lucien having problems with Haazen and his mother. The mantel of psychotically evil villain has been passed on to Demagol, now that we get to know the Masters better and see how they tick. They've gone from characters I simply loved to hate in Commencement to character I love to read about.

You have Lucien who was previously seen as the evil Jedi out to kill our hero. But now, we can't completely blame him, as we see he is the result of a dysfunctional family and was neglected by his mother. A nice set of repercussions from the Exar Kun war. Before this issue I would have thought if he ever meets Zayne, he will try to kill him, and vica versa. However, this has made him much more human, so now I see that if the circumstances are right they may end up having to work together (as it appears they will in upcoming issues).

The Jedi Council scene was great, showing Master Vrook, once again with a lighsaber up his ass, and just dealing out the punishments, apparently without letting anyone else on the council really get a word in :p It is interesting to see Alek's Master (and possibly Revan) being put down by the Jedii Council. Also after the council meeting Ranna Tey says, "A Sith Lord could walk right in front of the Council and they'd lecture him about neutrality!" which is a great counter to Alek's line in #0, "Zayne, you and I could be Mandalorians with our boots at your Masters' throats -- but to get them to notice us, we'd have to paint our heads and babble about the dark side!" This shows that pretty much everyone in the Order already knows what they're looking for, and are letting that blind them to whatever the reality is. This will more than likely lead to Revan's rise to power and turn on the Jedi.

This issue is also really the first to adress the issue of family in this series, an issue which is common throughout Star Wars, and will continue on in the next arc of the series.

Finally, this issue only reinforces my theory that Xamar will be the one to clear Zayne's name. Once again, he was the largely ignored voice of reason in the group and simply seems too intelligent to let this keep going forever. Though I admit, my theory may be colored by the fact that I just really like the design of his species, and would like to see more of that :p

EDIT: No Reunion review thread, Trip? :(

15. cbagmjg

Jul 12, 2006
    I see the one that wasn't in the vision as the one who will live. Which is Lucien.

16. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Hmm. That's an interesting idea. I just figured he wasn't in there because everyone was seeing their own deaths, and he isn't a seer. But perhaps he wasn't in there because he will survive. [face_thinking]

17. cbagmjg

Jul 12, 2006
    Technically, we don't see Q'anilia dying either. Just her upset over the possible death of Krynda. You do see the red figure standing over her though. But if you go by Raana Tey being the first one to see her death and the fact that Zayne's already made it known that she will be the first, the vision seems to be put in a different perspective. Plus, Zayne's going back to Taris in Knights of Suffering and that's the place where Raana sees her death.