main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: Vector

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rouge77, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Newsrama claims that:

First, 2008 will see Star Wars: Vector, a crossover story that will be ?similar to Civil War in its scope and style,? according to Dark Horse?s Jeremy Atkins. One constant character will experience the story as it travels through all four of Dark Horse?s Star Wars titles: Knights of the Old Republic, Rebellion, Legacy and Dark Times. John Ostrander and John Jackson Miller will oversee the story direction through the titles.

I have a bad feeling of this...[face_worried] One character and some 4100 years?:confused:

2. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Interesting...

Is it a Neti, or do we have stasus stints involved?

Also, is this our mystery Graphic Novel?

3. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Huh. Sounds like a put on. All 4 time periods?

4. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD

This is marketing hogwash and I dare ANYONE to claim it's not.

DH wants to get people to buy every series instead of their selected title of choice.

crossovers are terrible unless you are a marvel/DC fanboy...we can live without this.

Why John? Why? Write a novel and get away from this foolishness.

5. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    This could be awesome, as long as it is not about time travel (flow walking :oops:). I mean, all 4 of the ongoings are high quality and there is no reason to doubt that this cross over will be up to par. This might be an exciting boost to the EU for the coming months.

EDIT: And let me be the first to propose... with this long stretch of time being covered, may we finally be introduced to the Whills?

6. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    But CW sucked.

7. The_Pantless_Wookiee

The_Pantless_Wookiee Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 18, 2007
    I'm going to withhold judgment until I actually read this, but right now it's got me worried, I usually avoid crossover stuff. It is JJM and John Ostrander, though; it can't be that bad, can it?

8. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Hmm...[face_thinking] "Learn Star Wars history in the company of a time travelling Sith Lord Jacen Solo as he visits different eras.":p

If it would not have been included in Galaxies, I would suggest HK-47 to be the "one constant character".[face_plain]

A positive way of looking this is that this series could give a new reader a taste of different eras, a way to sample all of them and decide which - if any - (s)he wants to follow.[face_thinking]

9. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    3 of the Titles could use Krayt and be fine.

KOTOR would HAVE to be done in a "looking back" study or a holocron type thing...the character cannot physically be alive in KOTOR and be so in the other 3...if it does happen, it is a farce of such little impact it will cause the character and it's actions to be meaningless and probably the butt of jokes for years to come.

And to announce it in this manner is to cry "we're not doing as well as we'd like with all our titles." Why not just say that...if people really want to save a title, they'll buy it to support it...instead there's this need to con readers.

10. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Interesting. [face_thinking]

I was just thinking about this recently. We already have K'kruhk in both Dark Times and Legacy, so that connection is already there. I'm optimistic about this. Dark Horse can pull it off, methinks. Just so long as it doesn't stretch credibility and/or continuity.

The "one character" could be a droid...

11. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    That's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. The announcement sounds like ... hmm, well, a typical announcement.

I don't have sales numbers, but in my practical experience, each and every SW title currently running sells out at my LCS, requiring re-orders (and my LCS orders a decent amount of each title, not like 4 or 5).

I think it could make for an interesting story. And it's a "crossover event" -- while i've tired of the Big Two crossovers over the past decades, that's only when the crossover becomes so big that you have to get every issue, even of a stupid series like She-Hulk or something, to follow it. Seeing as most of us that'll be following the story already read the 4 SW comics, the crossover status isn't even an issue for me.

And on a more general note to the board as a whole --

Can everyone maybe, just once, not immediately decide an upcoming project -- about which we know basically nothing -- sucks from the moment it's announced? Yeah, i know, it'll likely cause physical pain in a number of posters ... but, come ON!

12. jfostrander01

jfostrander01 Writer: Dawn of the Jedi, Agent of the Empire star 3 VIP

Oct 26, 2001
    Okay, let's get a grip before we get to complaining too much.

I promise you -- no flow-walking. That's LotF's thing and we don't mess.

Why compare VECTOR to Marvel's Civil War? A) There will be big events that happen in it that will affect the relative books. B) Because we think we're as good as anything out on the market right now. We'd like those who read Marvel's Civil Wars to give us a chance so we're speaking their language.

Are we desperate for new readers? No. LEGACY, for example, is selling well. Would we like MORE readers? You bet. Everyone publishing comics would. You SW fans are swell; I love you guys -- but if we're going to attract new readers, we need to go where those readers are and say "Hi". Non-SW readers; we want them to find out that these are just good comics PERIOD. How do we do that? Best way would be to tell one heck of a good story. We believe we have one.

VECTOR will provide a good jumping on point for new readers in all the books. Are we forgetting the readers that came to the dance with us? Not at all. Can we make it work? Oh yeah. Do I think you'll like it? Most of you -- yeah. Those of you who've already made up their minds not to? Probably not.

DH will be letting out more details as we go and I don't want to be stepping on anything they have planned. Since we WANT this to be an EVENT and we WANT to attract new readers and get them excited, you might consider the possibility that this story might actually, y'know, be GOOD. Right now, WE'RE excited and we're making our plans in LEGACY around what's going to happen in VECTOR.

When I can SAY more, I will. In the meantime, watch and see. . .

-- John

13. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Hopefully you'll do a better job that Civil War and Infinite Crisis...*winces remembering how bad those big comic events were*.

14. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    I'm confused, is this a comic? Like a shadowing story that will happen at the same time as all the others?

also R2 has been in three of the periods also

15. Jango_Fettish

Aug 17, 2002

THANKS, John! That's all I needed to be sure of - I am officially excited :D

16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I thought Infinite Crisis was ok, though each person's opinion is probably different. Civil War was just so... incredibly stupid. Then again, hopefully, LotF already had that stupidity, so hopefully Vector won't be like that.

I can understand Dark Times, Rebellion and Legacy affecting each other, but.. KotOR? Oh well, hopefully it'll be good.

17. Jango_Fettish

Aug 17, 2002
    ^ I enjoyed Infinite Crisis as well. I know a lot of people who did. And I am looking forward to Final Crisis. These kinds of events can work very well, but they are always controversial. I remain a huge fan of Age of Apocalypse, but I know many people who hated it.

18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Hmmm... why does this make me think of Andeddu?

He's shown up in Legacy as a Holocron, his Holocron was also in the Clone Wars comics and people have long assumed his clothing linked him with the TotJ/KotOR era.

19. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I would love to see the common link be a LIGHTSABER. It could make a significant impact in each of the era's with little or no suspension of disbelief. Other possibilities would be a Holocron, a droid, a space ship.

Things I could see and would be intrigued by
    A lightsaber
    A holocron
    A Neti (or other extremely long lived species)
    Sith/Sith Ghost (Exar Kun style) (Didn't Andeddu just win that internet poll?)

Things I could see and would have to wait and see
    Zonoma Sekot
    Yuunzhan Vong worldship
    Spaceship (Sith meditation sphere perhaps)

Things I could see and be scared for
    Flow-walking (phew!)
    Time-dilation via hard sci fi (traveling faster than the speed of light)
    Stasis/force trances - already used

Based on the title Vector I could see something related to the Vong or Zonoma Sekot based of Vector Prime but I could also see a spaceship. But Vector is only one word anyway. Regardless, I am excited for as much content as I can get! And if Dark Horse is involved sign me up.

-The Rebel Gungan

20. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Oct 14, 2004
    Double-post.

I think the answer is going to be Andeddu, it seems like we have gotten a glimpse of him in Legacy and he was dressed in Golden Age of the Sith Garb. That would allow him or his spirit to be involved in every story as well as make sense in context.

Get killed by someone in KOTOR, talk to Vader or Palps or Yoda or another Jedi in Dark Times, interact with Luke or possibly Vader or Palps again in Rebellion and then make a repeat performance in Legacy.

-The Rebel Gungan

21. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Good observation. Jan and John hinted before that they had plans involving Andeddu, IIRC. Perhaps said plans tie in with Vector...

22. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Oct 14, 2004
    Maybe K'khruk and Anneddu are mortal enemies and will battle through all three "modern" eras with just Anneddu appearing in KOTOR.

Anneddu is jealous if K'khruk's ability to not die even when killed.

-The Rebel Gungan

23. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    So, is this another ongoing? A miniseries? The mystery graphic novel? A quartet of arcs in each ongoing?

We must know. Now.

24. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Hey, I'm excited. I say give the story a shot. We've got some of the best SW comics to date on the shelves. Why think that this would be the thing to ruin it?

25. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I would think that, after Legacy, John is deserving of the benefit of the doubt no matter what gets announced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.