main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Dawn of Defiance

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Dawn of Defiance is a new RPG campaign being released online by WotC. Its been known about for some time, but they just started releasing important EU-related information yesterday, in the form of a Gamemaster Outline (.pdf)----which contains spoilers, so you might not want to read it, or this thread, if you plan on playing.

The adventure synopses contain some rather interesting details that may merit discussion:

-12km Super Star Destroyer prototype
    -Inquisitors! And in particular, one Inquisitor Draco... [face_mischief]
    -Byss
    -The early proto-rebellion.

Its set in the Rise of the Empire era, though the exact dating is vague (the first adventure takes place within "a few months" of the end of the Clone Wars.) They're releasing new adventures every month, starting in a few weeks, as well "a few additional articles that expand on related topics." According to their FAQ, it will end up being equivalent to a 320 or so page campaign guide.

Oh yeah, and they say some "Abel G. Peña" guy is involved... :D

2. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    Wait - so is this being published in a Sourcebook or is it just a series of online articles? Either way it looks cool.

3. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Looks like I missed this topic. Must need new glasses. :p

It is a series of web-released adventures, Jango_Fettish.

It does look very interesting based on the GM's Outline. I'm glad that they actually released this ahead of the adventures so GM's can plan sidetrips, cameos, and the like.

4. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    about timeline placement

the campaign is said to start a few months after the end of CW, so possibly 19 BBY

it may extend, based on clues in outline, as long as 1 or 2 years

notice one of the latter missions mentions the "new" Citadel Inquisitorius on Prakith

It also sounds like Draco MAY be Grand Inquisitor (?)

This all seems to indicate this particular mission, late in the campaign, is set 18-17 BBY, AFTER the LOTJ books, because in LOTJ the Grand Inquisitors (or "Head Inquisitors," as Watson terms them) are Malorum and then Hydra, and in her books the HQ is on Coruscant--under Malorum, in the Jedi Temple, under Hydra, in the Senate Tower

5. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Thanks for that explanation, Senator_Cilghal.

6. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Howdy folks! It's been a while.

Yup, Echoes of the Jedi will be my contribution to the campaign. For old WEG fans, look for a Domain of Evil homage or two.

Abel

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

12km Superstar now, eh? From 8 to 12.5 to 17 and now 12 . . . :D

8. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Wow. Draco. Now that is a crative, original name. Yup.

Who comes up with this shizzle? Who gets paid to write this????

9. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Draco fits with the other camp names for Inquisitors in early Dark Times era: Malorum and Hydra. Also, as was pointed out, we have Antares Draco in Legacy, so the name was already in use in in-universe.

10. RogueWompRat

Feb 15, 2003
    Didn't like it then, don't like it now.

11. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

You've still got that leering visage, damn it. I'll take a Draco any day over it.

Microscoped or not, I still don't see what the feather ruffle is with that name. Look around and see how many Johns and Wills are in non/fiction books, and the number will be multiple scores. That, I find disgusting. At least Draco, being a warlike name, fits in with the fella's job description . . . and Star Wars has a very long history of naming people on their personal traits. eg, Mara "Jade's" green orbs, or Kyle Katarn acting like a katana blade.

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm quite enjoying how this fills us in about the proto-Rebellion, myself. Intriguing to hear about the Sarclacc, as well.

13. RogueWompRat

Feb 15, 2003
    Let's not cross that line.

14. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Homage? You name-drop "domain of evil" right in the summary! What happened to subtlety? :p ;)

Speaking of domains of evil, any chance you'll ever explore the Dark Side nexus on Naboo? [face_thinking]

15. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    So is this amazing Super Star Destroyer prototype a pre-retcon for stuff in Force Unleashed? Or could this be the other Eye of Palpatine?

TC

16. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Could the title be double meaning? Was not the Star Cruiser Defiance one of the first rebel flagships? In this early timeline, it would have been a starliner or such, right?

17. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Curiously, how many people are actually into this role playing activity?

18. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I am, though the current plethora of games my group either currently has going or has waiting on the back-burner means this is more likely to be interesting background info for me than something I'll actually be playing.

19. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/Mesop1

This has some info relating to the campaign

We know the Dawn of Defiance starts "a few weeks after" the end of the CW. THe very first mission begins on Sel Zonn Station over Brentaal. Note that this new article claims Sel Zonn is XQ2 Space Platform (a type introduced in X-wing series). Note the article says the XQ2 "began production shortly after the start of the Galactic Civil War."

This seems to indicate the "Galactic Civil War" is reckoned to have started with the proto-resistance groups ca. 19 BBY, rather than with the formal Declaration of Rebellion and Corellian Treaty ca. 2 BBY, as I had previously believed.

20. DarthBroox

DarthBroox Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2003
    Part I is up:

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/dodcampaign

21. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    These be dark times, Rogue.

Howdy folks. Just a quick update. It looks like my contribution to the Dawn of Defiance campaign, Echoes of the Jedi, should be published before the month is up.

Another relevant bit of info: Echoes of the Jedi is no longer just "my" adventure. Because my deadlines for Echoes, the Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide, and Aliens in the Empire all ended up overlapping, I decided to call in for reinforcements rather than go into cardiac arrest. Fellow SWFAer JF Boivin, whose expertise with the Living Force Campaign became invaluable in writing this adventure, will be sharing the byline with me.

I never say never (well, almost never), but that particular nexus didn't figure into Echoes. Despite that tragic exclusion, rest assured we still put together a pretty cool story ... with lots of continuity goodness, nach.

Take care,
    Abel

22. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Inquisitor Draco....

the art has an upside and downside

DOWNSIDE the art contradicts the text. THe text describes Draco as handsome. The picture looks ALMOST ugly as Palpatine, the original Episode V monkey-woman version.

UPSIDE the art portrays Drac wearing crimson robes, perfectly matching the Inquisitor uniform described in Last of the Jedi novellas. GOOD CONTINUITY!

23. The_Pumaman

The_Pumaman Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2007
    Don't forget that this image is canon too and looks a little bit better :)

[image=http://www.wizards.com/starwars/images/SWMCust9Draco1.jpg]

Source.

24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    [face_plain]

25. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    The campaign looks quite interesting. I've GMed the first adventure, and will continue after the Easter brake.
    Personally, the new Saga Edition of the SWRPG is rather poor, but the story itself and the plot are well developed with lots of interesting details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.