2nd Annual Salt City Picnic

Discussion in 'Syracuse, NY' started by strawbary, Jun 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Ok guys, its that time again for some fun in the sun!!!!

Break out the suntan lotion and the beach balls and get off the computer for some fresh air! ;)

Last year we had our Picnic at Long Branch Park. We had a good turn out. Shall we go for the same this year or something new?

Now is the time to plan. This will be held in July so we need to get hopping! :)

Long branch seems close however Green Lakes might be something to look into as well.......
    any thoughts?
  2. DarthArjuna Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, I've been to Green Lakes before, but not the other, so I can't really vote one way or the other by comparison. I did enjoy GL, though.

Oh, wow! Green Lakes=GL=George Lucas! We should go just because of that.
  3. Padawan_Drogon Jedi Knight

star 1
    Green Lakes would actually be closer for the Sherrill contingent and the Chittenango member. Obviously Long Branch is closer for the Liverpool members (of which we seem to be getting more and more). I doubt distance between the two matters much for the Binghamton member.

Regarding facilities, If we got a pavilion at Green Lakes I believe it could be more shaded and more private (which is kind of nice) than Long Branch, although I'm not sure. I'm more familiar with Green Lakes but I have been to Long Branch a couple of times (not recently) as well.

Since anyone going from Sherrill would probably be driven by me, I don't think the issue of facility used would make a difference in attendance for the Sherrill group (I would go to either, date permitting).
  4. schwenny69 Jedi Knight

green lakes is nice, but is kinda packed, not a good place for a picnic. onadoga lake has more places to go, and also it is closer to Syracuse(the city). either way i hope to go so i can join this chapter if you guys would let me.
  5. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    because of our size we should really look into booking a pavillion. Once we figure where we are going we can get pricing.

I know the large pavillion at Long branch was nice. Free parking as well......

Green lakes I think its 6.00 a car? However ultimately is has to depend on if anyone wants to swim or not........that will be the deciding factor I believe.......

6. Padawan_Drogon Jedi Knight

star 1
    Actually, the pavilions I have been at in Green Lakes are generally up on the hills in the trees and nicely secluded. However, if you go down in the swimming areas it generally is rather crowded. You could be right about the $6.00 fee. To be honest, although I believe there is a fee I have no idea how much. If it is $6.00, that does seem like a lot.
  7. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    yeh the 6.00 is per car and not sure if that will be a deterrent (sp?)for members going....otherwise I think greenlakes would be a blast ;)
  8. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    how does the 26th sound for a picnic? We need to reserve soon! :)
  9. Padawan_Drogon Jedi Knight

star 1
    So far that works for me! Looking forward to it!
  10. WebsJedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    26th is cool for me. And it's $7.00 a car unfortunatly.

-K
  11. DarthArjuna Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ah, yes, lucky number 7... but sounds good for me.
  12. Jaysar_CidfeJK Jedi Padawan

I can try to make it, but I've no idea where this Green Lakes is (not too familiar with the area). If anyone can post any directions to the place, I can make it a definite go with me.
  13. Padawan_Drogon Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi Jaysar! Green Lakes is kind of close to Fayetteville. If you want, and we plan on arriving there the same time, I could meet you at either the Vernon/Verona Thruway exit or someplace along route 5 and you could follow us. We would be going from Sherrill, which is right next to Oneida.

There are two entrances to Green Lakes, if you get a pavilion, Strawbary, make sure you get directions as to how to get to it and which entrance to get to it from (assuming we are going with Green Lakes).
  14. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    ok I will call green lakes tomorrow and get pricing and availability :) Will let everyone know soon!~
  15. Jaysar_CidfeJK Jedi Padawan

Padawan, I'm familiar with the Oneida area (I attend fencing lessons there every other tuesday). As soon as everything's set up and ready to go, I will let you know of a meeting place in Oneida :)
  16. Karate-Jedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Jaysar. You are a fencer. What dp you do. I fence epee.
  17. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Lets stay on topic guys :)
  18. Karate-Jedi Jedi Master

star 3
  19. Jaysar_CidfeJK Jedi Padawan

20. Padawan_Drogon Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey Strawbary, how's this work? Do we all bring some food/drink? Do we sign up for something so that we know what's being brought? It looks like Arjuna and I will be there, possibly with my daughter and/or wife. Presumably we need to set a start time.
  21. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    as soon as I get confirmation from green lakes and the costf or the pavillion we can break down what each person will have to pay and it would include food.....

Last year we asked everyone to bring something and it worked out pretty good, but we didnt have to pay for the Pavillion, so let me check on it more today. I went to a great park yesterday that might work out to and no parking fee :) Alittle tough to find though and no swimming.
    Let me call again right now and get back with everyone :)
  22. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    well, bad news, I called green lakes and their pavillions are all booked up till sept 6th. Do we want to wait that long? The pavillion is a good rate its 40.00 that hold about 20 -25 people. If you think we need something larger we should go the next one up which is 60.00 or 80.00 I believe. (again its not till sept 6th.)

Anywho, if someone has another suggestion for a picnic Im all ears :)

I am racking my brain now for a site......long branch park is pricey they want 125.00 for the day.....

Lets get some alternatives goin here.... :)
  23. Padawan_Drogon Jedi Knight

star 1
    Although it doesn't have water or swimming (duh!) I always enjoyed Highland Forest. Might be a good spot for some action scenes for our movie buffs as well. It might be a bit far for some though. Oneida Shores is nice, but I don't know what they have for pavilions and again, distance could be a problem for some. Jamesville Beach is the only other State Park I can think of in the area and I really don't know much about it. Sorry I can't be of more use.

P.S.: My thoughts on waiting until 9/6 are that by then the kids are back in school and it may cause complications for some, even if it is the weekend. So I would prefer to do it sooner.
  24. Jaysar_CidfeJK Jedi Padawan

Sorry to hear that Strawbary.. I can wait till Sept. 6, although all the huge parks that I know are all either near Oneonta, Albany or up north near Old Forge. :(
  25. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    maybe we should look into jamesville beach?
    I can call around tomorrow if anyone wants to look into some parks as well please post your finsings here ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.