main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

3 / 4 new thread limit per user, per session rule in the JCC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by The Gatherer, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    One of the individual forum rules that I have had personal difficulty with over the past 6 months is the 4 thread limit rule in the JCC.

I am just looking for some explanation and clarification of the rule.

Is the limit 4 new threads per session (personally, my internet connection is a 4 hour session)?
    Or is the limit 4 new threads per day?

In any other forum, I can understand the need for a limit, as it would come across as spam, however, the JCC is a very fast forum, full of often nonsense, junk / spam like threads anyway. Granted, 20 new threads by one individual would be excessive, however, I believe the limit of 4 is too harsh.

During 11-12pm PST time period, and heading into the late hours, the JCC can slow down, so there is potential to be more stringent then, howver, during the PST day time, the forum is very fast.

Plus, if threads are not popular, they quickly sink in the JCC.

Just looking for some clarification...

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ah, I'll give you clarification from the Lit POV (as we have a similar rule).

Basically, the gist is:

1) It's quasi-spamming. Assuming that each forum has two sticky threads and 48 threads on 50/50 view, then you're occupying near 10% of the first page real estate if you're at 4 threads created. Why not space them out? Obviously, there are time sensitive exceptions and common sense would be applied (e.g. you discover first that Ric Olie == Not Captain Obvious AND Vader == Jar Jar AND Luke == Clone).

2) It's not fair to other posters. In Lit, there's X amount of quality discussion that usually happens in one day. If YOU personally are posting nearly 10% of the threads it possibly detracts from any other user who wants to have a good discussion on that day if they feel their thread will be "lost in the sea of irrelevancy."

Now, I know I've never had an issue except for once in Lit (no, not you) with a newb. All was explained and it was deemed "fair" by them, and they just started a new thread a couple of days later after that and had good discussion.

3. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I've always understood it to be a daily limit (heck, I remember the unwritten '1 thread per day' rule).

I don't find 4 threads per day harsh at all. You're right, YJCC is a fast-paced forum, but the limits are created out of fairness. I mean, if I created 5-6 threads a day in YJCC someone's probably going to complain to a mod and I'll get a PM from that mod telling me to knock it off. Even on 50 threads/page, 5-6 threads on the first pageis still quite a big chunk (provided that they're still active throughout the day).

It doesn't really matter if the threads are 'junk' or 'spammy' or whatever. YJCC is the forum for daily chit-chat and if all 6 threads I make end up sinking, then it's nobody's problem but my own (not that I'd really make a big deal about it anyway).

I don't know what to tell you other than that. The best thing to do is wait the next day to create any other threads you have in mind.

4. Raincloud

Raincloud Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2002
    Wow. Who woulda thought The Gatherer is having trouble with the 3 threads a day limit?

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Please keep your comments relevant and constructive.

6. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    So, to clarify - it is a daily limit, and not a session limit?

Also, what happens if you create your max 4 threads in a forum in a day, then someone else ups some of your older threads.

Surely you couldn't be punished for that, could you?

7. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    The second scenario shouldn't matter. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having several of your old threads bumped up, as long as it's someone else doing the bumping.

8. Raincloud

Raincloud Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2002
    What if I don't want to.

Who likes peanut butter?

See you in 24. :(

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Gath -- correct, typically a daily limit, not a session limit. (I'm not aware of any forum that has any limit that's not daily).

Maddux is correct, there's nothing wrong with someone upping many of your threads, provided you're not the one doing it. :) (of course, if it could be proved that you'd solicited someone to do it FOR you... :p )

10. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    So, to clarify - it is a daily limit, and not a session limit?

Also, what happens if you create your max 4 threads in a forum in a day, then someone else ups some of your older threads.

Surely you couldn't be punished for that, could you?

Ugh. Yes, it's a daily limit, that's what they mean by "You can create 4 threads PER DAY"

Ugh. Yes someone can up your old threads, that's what they mean by "YOU CAN CREATE 4 threads per day"

The Real Estate issue is kind of a cop out, the real issue at hand is that it's irritating and annoying to see one person make 4 (even perfectly valid) threads in one day. It's irritating to see one person make two threads in one day.
    The greats...Debo, and...well, Debo think about their(his) threads, they're few and far between, but they're infinitely entertaining and valuable.
    Simone used to make a few threads a day, and she's not remembered favorably at all.

There shouldn't be a rule...ideally everyone would be reasonable about it like they used to be.
    But those irritating/annoying people who keep posting threads forced mods to make policy about it, unfortunately

EDIT: I would really be disappointed if someone in here brought up the semantics of "day" and asked if they had to conform to board time or if their own time zone could define their day.

11. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    It's irritating to see one person make two threads in one day.

I agree. The problem is that a lot of the threads started in JCC either last for 24 hrs and sink away into oblivion, or they get about 15 off topic posts and sink away.

I think that the (I thought it was 3?) 3 or 4 threads a day is a good rule... it's only in one forum anyways. How many boards to we have here? A lot. IF anything, the three threads day rule forces people to give some thought into (at the very least) their third thread, and whether it's worth it or not.

But the basic fact is that it's the mods interpretation. No one will get in trouble for making more than their quota of threads if hey are productive, good topics. It's just a default rule mods can call on as a reason for asking a poster to desist in their abundant thread making.

12. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    Umm, WTH is a session?

13. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Firstly, its 3 threads, not 4. You know that full well. Dont start trying to nudge the limit up in the hopes that people might believe its what you say, and you can get away with more.

Secondly, its designed to stop a person flooding a forum with their own threads.

Thirdly, crossing the midnight threshold doesnt make it a new day, as you have previously tried to argue.

I let people start 3. I'll PM the person to remind them of the rule if I see 3 threads, or see 2 and have a feeling they will start number 3. I lock number 4. I ban at number 5. I shouldnt need to remind a person more than twice, so if they start 3 threads for a third time, then they wont get a warning from me.

Hell, like JGM said earlier, there used to be much more harsh limits. I remember instances of members being told that they could only start 2 threads in a week. And you're complaining about 3 threads per day.

And its 3 new threads per day. If someone ups one or two of your old threads, then so be it. They're easy enough to distinguish from new threads. So long as you arent upping your old threads en masse, there wont be issues.

14. FateNaberrie

Jan 31, 2000
    I thought it was three.
    Sneaky, Gath. Very sneaky.

15. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    IF anything, the three threads day rule forces people to give some thought into (at the very least) their third thread, and whether it's worth it or not.

Maybe it's just me, but I make it a point to put thought into every thread I make. Then again, I make like 2-3 threads a month.

16. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Maybe it's just me, but I make it a point to put thought into every thread I make.

No it is just you. We aren't all like you, as you can see. 8-}

If I had a spam pic, I'd post it now.

17. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Hey, I don't like being called sneaky!

That is why in the thread, I wrote 3 / 4 - I honestly couldn't remember which one was correct.

Now I know.

Thanks Darth Dagsy for the clarification! This should NO longer be a problem for me.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Umm, WTH is a session?
    session is a representation of all of the state that you accumulate whilst dealing with a network service. The network services provided by the KSL will in general allow you to perform side-effects on the environment, such as building up an Ontology.
    A session keeps all of the state that you build up bundled up so that actions you take within your session do not affect any other users connected to other sessions.

You can think of a session as being rather like firing up a shell except that sessions can be shared between multiple users. Because of this, sessions have a "Group Ownership" associated with them. Any user who is in the group that owns the session can connect to the session and you end up sharing the side-effects you perform in the session. When a user other than yourself side-effects the session to which you are connected, you are notified the next time you click on anything. If you want your session to be private then you can make the session be owned by the JUST-ME group.

When you log in, you are asked to create a new session or select an existing session if there are any sessions to which you may connect. When creating a session, you have to specify the expected duration of the session. This is because the system needs to be able to clean up old, dead sessions. You are also required to give a brief description string for the session. This is important because it is the way that other users, who might want to connect to your session, can determine the purpose of the session so that they can know to which one the should connect.

Basically, one session is defined as the point in time when you first log on to the JC to when you either A) click the logout link or B) close your browser window.

19. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    Sessions are irrelevant. If that's your definition of a session, I could literally have dozens of sessions a day. And posting 4 threads per session... that equates to a crapload of threads.

20. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    but session could also be used to elliminate the possibility of someone claiming it's alright to post three threads from 11pm-12am and then three more from 12am-1am, since technically it's a new day board time.

21. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Sorry dp4m, I will clarify.

My internet dial-up connection has a 4 hour session time. After that, I have to dial back in. Most dial up connections that I know of (non-broadband) have session limits.

22. FateNaberrie

Jan 31, 2000
    My internet dial-up connection has a 4 hour session time.

Then that would mean you can create 3 threads every 4 hours, which is clearly not a day. Why was this even a question?

23. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    I think "thread making" should apply to a 24-hour period, that way any grey area (time zones, 12:00 AM board time) can be ruled out.

I assume that "session times" are only in Australia. I've had probably a half dozen different dial-up services and not one of them had a session limit.

24. FateNaberrie

Jan 31, 2000
    Well, my very first internet connection way back in 94-95ish had a 90 minute session time, I believe. You had to disconnect and dial back in every hour and a half.

25. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Most dialups I've been on (every time I've been on the 'net until September) have NO LIMIT WHATSOEVER.

You got a weird provider, man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.