30 Somethings - The First Star Wars Generation?

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by crashdown, Nov 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shazapp Jedi Padawan

Hello, all.

I'm new to the forum, but not new to Star Wars at all.

I was 9 years old when the first movie came out. I actually spent the very first allowance I was ever given on the paperback novelization of the movie (before it came to my local theater...and, therefore, before I saw it.)

I was on vacation with my parents in North Carolina when I saw a news report about this "new movie that was taking the country by storm." I remember my first reaction to the footage shown in the report was that it looked like a Western with laser guns.

My first vivid memory of seeing the movie for the first time is the feeling I got in the pit of my stomach when the camera dives into the trench on the Death Star. That was just something that had never happened to me before with the special effects of that time period. I was hooked from that point.

Needless to say, since then, I've seen the movies more times than I can count. I've read some of the expanded universe books, played some of the videogames (from the arcade to the Atari 2600 through to Xbox) and collected a ton of stuff. (Most of which, unfortunately, I had to sell.) Star Wars has been a big part of my life for the last 28 years. (I'm 37 now.)

I just discovered this community this evening...well, morning, I guess I should say...and I'm thrilled to be among so many like-minded people.
  2. EmperorArtimus Jedi Knight

star 1
    I myself am 33.. And remember watching new hope when it first came out along with the rest of the movies.. 5 & 6. I have been hooked ever since.. And I also remember the holiday special they did.. If I remember correctly.. Lucas had every copy destroyed.. But if there is one still out there.. I want a copy.. hehe
  3. Erhithiel Jedi Padawan

When I was 16 years old, my sister worked in Century City, California. She was Miss Trendy and saw just everything that was IN...so when she told me "You HAVE to see this film" ... I thought, yeah, right...I mean, she wore leg warmers and all that. But, my mother and I went along... We got tickets for the 1 a.m. show, and at 9pm were lined up around and around this theater. Being a teenager, I was thinking this was so bizarre. BUT everyone was so excited, and the place just buzzed.

I knew I was in for a real ride when those first Huge STAR WARS words came on, and the first ever use of the upwards scrawl...and the rest is history. I have read the books, seen every movie, followed the rumours and the news...and here I am, at 43, still coming home to our beloved Star Wars.

The Force is surely with us :) :) :)
  4. darklighterspin Jedi Padawan

Well, as a 27 year-old, I have only the most vague memories of seeing RotJ in the theater. That said, I grew up on Star Wars. My friends and I played with the toys, and my brother and I camped in front of the TV whenever it was being shown. As I grew older, I read the books, played the CCG & RPG, bought all the videos and DVDs, etc.

So, did SW have as big an impact on my life as someone older? I guess is depends on how you define impact. I never had the visceral moment when something that amazing first landed in my lap...films have just always been that amazing for me. But on the other hand, you can't really say that my life wouldn't be different if George hadn't made his movies.
  5. Jericho_II Jedi Padawan

Greetings, all...

I remember like it was yesterday, coming home from my first viewing of Ep.IV, plopping myself on the living room floor with pencil in hand, ripping off page after page of 2D drawings of the Millenium Falcon blasting away TIE Fighters ...

All of 8 years old then...where has the time gone..?

For better or worse, SW has been a staple of my life; not sure if it's because it was the first real spectacle to capture and hold my attention , or because it mirrors real-life in so many ways, with lessons regarding choices and value systems. I believe it's the latter that sees us 30-somethings hold on to the franchise as something ideological and pure...almost "nurturing".

Looking so forward to May 19...but wondering how it will feel once that one tangible link to my childhood is gone, and I find out once again in my adult life that there isn't a "Santa Claus".

Looking forward to chatting with you all.
  6. Thumper_Jr Jedi Padawan

Hey.

I'm approaching the young age of 30 this year. I saw ANH on video when I was young and loved it as a child would. I saw ESB at the drive in when I was 7 and still to this day think its THE BEST MOVIE EVER! I've seen all of the movies so many times over I give the ***** to whoever plays me at Star Wars Trivial Persuit. I like the newer movies (eps 1 & 2) also, but the originals can never be topped! Especially ESB, 'twas such a dark movie, I love it!
  7. rhine_island Jedi Padawan

Emperor Artimus, I had a copy of that special...my god, it was cheesy, but totally awesome because of it. Wouldn't you know I deleted it off of my computer (it was a vhs copy someone kindly had uploaded onto their site), wish I still had it to share with you! :)
  8. big-dave Jedi Knight

star 1
    It's nice to know that the original trilogy had such a similar affect on so many of you as it did on myself. I am 36 and saw SW when it first came out. It is true that there had never really been anything like it before, both in story and special effects. like so many of the comments I have read on this thread the original trilogy seems to have sruck such a chord deep within us all. Which is no mean feat for a film. It certainally played a large part in how I perceive the world and others around me, for the better I hope. I no of no other film that has had such a influence on a generation as the original trilogy has had. No offence to you youngsters out there.
  9. JediJennai Jedi Padawan

Well being that I am over 30 something (I was 18 when I saw ANH in 77..do the math) I was not a "child" when I first saw it but on the verge of being an adult and it still made quite an impact on me. Still my favorite movies (all six) and still entertains me. I have passed this on to my kids (daughter 19 and son 12) and we all have seen the movies together. We have seen ROTS seven times and it is just great fun to be a real fan!!! I also get a kick out of being one of the oldest members of this forum!!
  10. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    Im 33 and it was the first movie I saw in a movie theatre. After that most movies didn't have a chance to live up to SW. A vivid memory was when I was siting on my bike before the Rotj was gonna come out and we were talking about what the title was going to be. Han Solo's Revenge. or the Revenge of Han Solo. It was a huge part of my growing up. Heck it still is today!
  11. ObiwanJenobi Jedi Padawan

:D Finally, someone who understands how I feel. I saw ANH when I was 11 yrs just after my birthday. I loved it. I loved ESB even more, esp. Luke----I had posters everywhere (wish I had them now). Everyone thinks I'm crazy but it was a life changing moment. My general outlook on life has been altered because of this. I guess older folks may have the Disney-effect where "The Prince comes to save the Princess". Sound familiar? Anyways, I'm glad people are still as excited about SW at our age.:)
  12. nazaguy99 Jedi Knight

first saw the ot as the special edition. I was only about 5
  13. Wook Jedi Master

star 4
    Glad to share stories with those who had the "Star Wars" experience!

Before Star Wars, I was only allowed to Disney matinees etc. since I was only 7 in '77. So when my dad (who hates going to movies) told us that we were going to a movie at the late show I knew it must be a big deal. I liked the movie, but not until Empire, when I walked out of that theater in a complete daze - how could that possibly be true?? that it took a hold of me. I never had a movie like that completely amaze and shock me at the same time. I wasn't sure when the PT came out that I would have the same goosebumps when the crawl blazed on screen, but I think I'm even more of a Star Wars fan now then I was as a kid, thanks to both the PT & OT. If nothing else, the PT has enriched the original movies, and I can watch them again with a different point of view and a new look at the story...
  14. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    I just turned 39 and saw the original movie in a theater when I was 10. I remember being totally in awe after the screening because I had never seen anything like it before. I think my mother was cajoled into taking us to see it once more at the local first-run theater and about twice more at the second-run house across town later in the year. There has not been a day since then that I have not had at least a passing thought about Star Wars.
  15. Terra_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm 14 and i remember when my parents,my sister and i went to the theater to see TPM i didn't know about Star Wars but ny parents were big fans of SW so i could say that the only good thing my parents teach me is my love to SW.
  16. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    ....I was 8 when I saw ANH at my local cinema when it was released back in the day...I distinctly remember running out the cinema and looking in the car park for my X Wing - think it had been 'stolen' however....the following multiple times I took all my classmates to see the film (it was essential viewing as far as I was concerned and any excuse to go!) I still never found it. If I had been a little taller I may have made a formal complaint...:(

The rest is history...and a great history at that...nice to know more folks in the 'Generation Jedi'!

ps. Hi to everyone from the UK's Northern Jedi Stronghold! [face_dancing]

pps. ------> look, 36 years later and I still fit my original robes (me on the right) [face_laugh]

[image=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/edgejedi88/JediJasenDave.jpg]
  17. Happy Ninja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I don't think that I'd totally agree with that perception, per se. I can defiently see what you're saying, as I think that way about people who were introduced to SW with either the Special Editions or the Prequel Trilogy. The thing is, I was born in 1979, so I'm 26, and therefore wasn't even born when ANH was first released, however, I did get into SW at a very early age. I think I first saw ANH and ESB on VHS around '82 or '83, and I distinctly remember going to see ROTJ in theatres in 1983 as if it were only yesterday. I even have photo's, circa 1982/83 of me with a bedsheet, beenie over my face, and waving a stick around in my backyard pretending to be Darth Vader...I even remember doing it! I also remember in the first grade in 1985, there was a tree at school that had a branch protruding off of it that you could sit on, and grab two other braches offshooting that one like a T-bar, so I used to pretend I was racing through the forest on a speeder-bike!

So, as you can see, I wouldn't totally agree that the "Star Wars Generation" are for people in their mid-late 30's. mid-late 20's and above would be more of an accurate analogy, IMO. I even remember George Lucas himself telling us at Celebration Day that he hoped that ROTS could (in his own words) "Bring peace to the over-25 year-olds"...so even the main man himself had defined the age period...can't argue with the main man, can you? :p
  18. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    sorry....I bumped this with my wheelchair....:eek:
  19. evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling

star 7
    I have to agree... living through the whole phenomenon the first time was special.
    There hadnt been anything quite like it before & after the hype in the U.S, we had to wait MONTHS before we got it it here in Australia. The build up in the prequals was NO-WHERE near the same.

Its just special for us because we HAVE seen it all & lived it. Its been a great ride, so far..

The younger generation are SPOILT by the amount of blockbuster releases these days, Back then SW was something unique & special.
  20. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    ...before DVDs and all...it was also a 'family' thing too, a special occasion...and you wuld have to wait at least 6 months or something before a film would even be considered to be released on VHS (or even betamax!!!) - now films appear on DVD before the screenings at the cinema are even over!!!

//sits down back into his X-Wing wheelchair to think about the old days....before the Empire...[face_blush]
  21. Darth Gangrenous Game Host

Game Host
    star 10
    I am 35 years old. I don't remember what month it opened here in St. Louis so I was either 6 or 7 when I first saw Star Wars in 1977. Way before it was titled Episode IV: A new Hope. I was so overwelmed and in awe of just how great it was.
    It was definitly a life changing experiance for people my age.
  22. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    ...the binary sunset scene with Luke still gets me emotional, in a positive way, to this day....:)

23. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm 29 now so I was alive when Star Wars was released in the theater, but I don't have any memories of seeing the OT in the theatre until the Special Editions. I've always regretted that I either never got to see them or was too young to remember seeing them. I know I must have gotten hooked on them somehow at some point as I have two boxes of Star Wars action figures that I remember playing with a child.

~Doc_Bev
  24. evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling

star 7
    I was hooked & collecting has condemed me to a life of POVERTY ever since....

25. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    ...its lonely at the top mate...better to be at the bottom, skint, but happy like the rest of us...

I should really start a thread for tricks how to collect SW merch cheaply, without paying huge collector prices...SW on a budget! [face_dancing]

Thrift stores - here I come!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.