main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

30 Somethings - The First Star Wars Generation?

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by crashdown, Nov 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    I employ the network method...

get others to do the looking & report back on the findings... my mrs is a seasoned bargain hunter.

2. obi-dave_cannoli

obi-dave_cannoli Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    i'm 37 now, so i saw star wars when i was still 6. i was more than overwhelmed by it and as a child it consumed me. my friend and i would spend recess in school drawing the characters and "grading" them. i collected all the original action figures (boys don't play with "dolls";) ) and i still have them, death star included. over the years, i saw all of the movies and enjoyed them, but as i saw them more and more, they "got old".
    when ep1 came out in '99, i went to see it and while i enjoyed it, it didn't seem the same - something was missing. i didn't see ep 2 untill it was out on dvd. this year, with the release of rots, the magic somehow returned. 2 of my kids (10 and 7 yrs old) suddenly took an interest in the movies. i scrambled to get the dvd's for them to watch before they saw ep3 - that way they'd understand the story more and have fewer questions. my kids are as big of fans as i am now, and my wife thinks we're all a bit strange.
    to me, i actually enjoy the prequills more, because i enjoy the development of the story and the characters. obi wan and yoda were always my favorite characters, so to see the development of their characters as well as the filling in of the blanks is really cool. i'm glad i found this site while looking for info on making jedi costumes for my son and i for halloween (i really am just a big kid). i always knew there a lot of "star wars geeks" out there, i just never realised i was one of them...ok, maybe i did...

3. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm 34 and I remember seeing Star Wars twice that summer in '77.
    I started reading the few EU books out there when I was in high school and watched the videos on the old VCR constantly.
    My daughter does not appreciate that her birthday is 5-25.
    Young impudents.

4. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    what a great thread.. a place for us thirty somethings to go. I am 38.. saw star wars when I was ten years old and as Alice Cooper said.. most of my life has been defined by star wars.. I have never missed an opening day and found ways to integrate star wars into almost every nook and cranny of my life.. thank heavens I have children that continue to love star wars just as much as me.. because shocking as this is.. there are some people out there.. that never cared to watch it.. my ex was one of them.. he never saw any star wars movie until our son came along and I put them on the tv. at that point in time he was already 34 yrs old.

so if our parents are called the baby boomers.. what are we called?

5. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    'The Force Boomers'? Suggestions on the back of a postcard please!

Bridget Jedi's? [face_laugh]

6. obi-dave_cannoli

obi-dave_cannoli Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    how about "the chosen ones"...

7. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Perhaps we indeed should be referred to as the Star Wars Generation. It does define our generation quite well.

8. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    True - the Star Wars Generation it is then...unless more suggestions there are...?

9. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    now after viewing the PT I don't think one can say GL chickened out by not killing off key characters.. I think those characters were key to getting to the end of the rebellion.. they had to stay alive for the plot to work.. I mean.. look at the PT.. he was never chicken to kill people off..he was killing them off left and right.

10. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I'm gonna explain a big difference for me about how this shows the difference between keeping something alive and keeping something alive.. while this is a great post and it shows the love of star wars.. when those of us .. over thirty.. perhaps over 35 .. not sure of the exact age.. but we kept this movie alive in our hearts and minds without getting to rewatch the movie away from the theater.. we did not have any VHS or Beta to watch the movies at home.. while it existed.. most homes did not own one.. we saw the movie while it was at the theater.. then it was gone.. and we had the soundtrack vinyl to keep us happy at home.. and magazines.. we had no chance to rewatch the magic unfold on tv every weekend.. that is something that for me is a major difference in the way we grew up with star wars.. VHS was created in the seventies I believe.. but it was not until 1985 that VHS started showing up regularly in most homes.. none of my friends or I ever saw VHS until after 1985...perhaps that was just because Arkansas was just behind the times.. but I believe the smaller more compact VHS system came out in 1985 and made it more affordable for families to own.. it was the beginning of a technilogical age and many families were slow to get on to the bandwagon..

in any case.. it is a testament to the enduring love of star wars that so many of us managed to keep star wars alive without the wonder of VHS .. we did it with just our record players, magazines and our minds.

11. MotherPalpatine

MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    I agree with cathiecat that it was a little more difficult for we fans from the 70's to keep Star Wars alive. I was 17 years old when Star Wars (that it is the name it was and will always be to me.) came out in theatres. I stood in line and went back as often as I could. There were days when it was winding down that my friends and I would go to an afternoon showing and stay the entire day. Once we had to set through a double feature watching Star wars and then watching LazerBlast, then Star Wars, then...well you understand.

When most first '77's talk about the Star Wars experience they remember the opening. Nothing like that had been seen. The special effects were created for this movie. We had never seen so many aliens in one place at one time and a lightsabre was a fresh idea.

For me I kept Star wars alive through trading cards, magazines, and friends. Even when we finally had VCR's the movies were not there to buy. We did have a VCR in 1978 because we recorded the Star Wars Holiday Special, and to some of us that was magic.

The younger fans don't know how lucky they are at times.:D But no matter, we are all fans.

12. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    indeed we all are fans.. I happen to be envious of you and that VCR in 1978.. goodness knows.. my family was all in the over 50 set.. and they were hard set in their ways.. I never saw a recorder until I saw a Beta in 1985 at a friends house.. then in 1986 I got my own VHS. My copy of Star Wars was recorded off of television and I wore that tape out through the years. My son first saw Star Wars on that tape.. he was way too young to remember it though..

13. MasterJediDragonSir

MasterJediDragonSir Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Well hello there, this is my my first time posting in the Star Wars community boards. Cathiecat is my fiance'. I was 12 when I saw Star Wars for the first time. I believe I saw it 2 or 3 times. I might not have been into SW as much as other people, but on the other hand I was into anything Sci-fi, mostly Star Trek. ( I grew up with it )....I have seen all 6 movies in the theaters.....Out of all the eps I've seen, ROTS will be my most memorable, Because it was the first time I ever went I costume.... I chose Obi-Wan, due to having a similar look in eps 2 & 3....Cathiecat went as Shaak Ti.... her headpiece took me 4 hrs to sculpt out of foam rubber we got from a sofa factory, then another 2 hrs of painting, which I finished several hours before the premiere.....People at the theater were taking all sorts of pictures of us every couple of minutes up until we went inside. We are presently working on upgrading our costumes to be studio quality, but I must say that for finally coming up with the ideas and finances for the costumes 3 days before the premiere. I really enjoyed making SW related items, it's got me into being very supportive of Cathie's love for SW. I even helped her spend close to $1500 on SW collectables, back in april/may of '05, and the collection is increasing little by little.
    Well I just wanted to make an appearance and say hi, and tell you all here, that I think it's really cool to talk about SW
    TTYL

14. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    You know that you are Generation Jedi when....your nephews beat you at the Star Wars Trivial Pursuit DVD...:(

15. MasterJediDragonSir

MasterJediDragonSir Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Very true...Cathiecat is the SW geek in our household...But I get a lot of the ?'s ringht in SW Trivial Pursuit that even she doesn't know...some of which were darn good guesses:D
    But you ask her anything about the podrace parts she can't answer because she doesn't like it so she paid no attention[face_plain]
    I only won 1 game to her 2 but I'm doing some serious reading of the SW visual dictionary...I'll beat her yet:D
    TTYL

16. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    You Too?? That is the scene that defines Star Wars for me.

17. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    ...we were even the same age when we saw Luke standing there looking out to the sunset too....spooky! definately Generation Jedi! [:D]

Nearest I can get is a 'kind of' binary sunset in my home area here...Newcastle UK. [face_laugh]
    [image=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/edgejedi88/newcastlebinarysunset.jpg]

18. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    All I can say is that I am glad I have been around since the very beginning, I was 11 when ANH or Star Wars as it was then first came out and I have enjoyed the ride ever since! [face_dancing]

19. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    [image=http://www.exn.ca/news/images/S/SW-binarySTARS.jpg]

They bring tears to my eyes...:_|

Edit: Now I want to know from the younger crowed out there. Does the image of the twin suns bring up as much emotion as it does for us older folks? When I was a kid, all my friends would talk about this scene, and what it meant to us. We all pictured ourselves in Luke's shoes looking up into those suns and wishing for the stars. Is this also true for the younger ones out there. Does this one scene define star wars for you as well, or is it just one of those "dated" scenes that Lucas should have gotten rid of in his later revisions?

20. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    ...thats a great picture Crashdown - where is it from please?

Goes to show that we can be as passionate about something through the years as we were at that very first experience. 'Young until I die' - thanks Kevin Seconds!:)

21. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    I just looked around the net for a good shot. I found it at http://www.exn.ca/news/images/S/SW-binarySTARS.jpg

22. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    thanks! bookmarked! :D

23. LordDarthUmbrus

LordDarthUmbrus Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    The Binary Sunset scene along with the wonderful Luke's Theme music and the Force Theme Music will always stand out in my memory. It was very touching that GL should bring that full circle for us in ROTS.

But

This is the scene that will forever stand out in my memory as clear as it was yesterday though I was 7 at the time and it was 1977.

[image=http://www.roadsquadron.com/Reference/ANH/StarDestroyer/DevastatorTat_01.jpg]

I saw this on an old Cinemascope, concave wrap-around screen about half a football field wide! They just don't make theaters that big anymore. I got to see Star Wars in Cinemascope and this thing flew right over my 7 year old head on that massive screen!

I knew from that moment on that Star Wars would own me for the rest of my life, and so it has! I never tire of it. For nearly 30 years, it has been one of my great joys!

Its wonderful that I can share it with so many others now, thanks to the Internet.

24. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Cinemascope..wow...you lucky man! I bet that was awesome!

I cant wait for the 3D versions to start coming out in 2007 at the cinemas...will be interesting to see how ANH comes out with this 3D treatment...could be interesting...[face_thinking]

My nephews, who are now the age I was when I first saw ANH, will be lapping up every minute of it with their Uncle - the same Uncle who doesnt mind going right down to the front row, just to get the experience of the ships better as they fly over and who cheers louder than the kids when it comes to the Rebels winning! They think its great to have an Uncle that will go back to the cinema multiple times to see the same movie...I wouldnt have it any other way [face_dancing]

25. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Yes, that is truly a very cool scene......one of the best !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.