main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT 30 Years Of 'Jedi' - The 'Return Of The Jedi' 30th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Orrelios, May 25, 2013.

1. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    So today marks the 30th anniversary of the sixth and so far last chronological installment of the Star Wars saga (at least until Episode VII) and I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about this yet on this day.

With it being 30 years since the film first appeared on the big screen (May 25th in the US), share your ROTJ thoughts, memories & such with us others here in this thread.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    ROTJ has an extremely emotionally powerful ending, especially in light of the PT. It is here, in ROTJ, that the tale of two Skywalkers and an Emperor finally concludes.

3. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    Return of the Jedi was the very first movie I ever saw in a theater (1987 re-release) I was 4 years old and I remember it vividly. A New Hope was the phenomenon, The Empire Strikes Back was the best, but Return of the Jedi will always be my favorite.

Garrett Atkins likes this.
  4. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Legendary and Iconic close out of the Trilogy. "Return of the Jedi" may be in the shadow of "Star Wars and Empire" but that doesn't mean it's not a Classic itself. The movie was like 3 movies in one with the Battle of Endor, Empire/Vader Vs Luke and the Space Battle going on. Love Luke's near turn to the Darkside. Love the Ewoks cause I'm a 80's baby that grew up on them. Love the last space battle. The whole movie was epic. The "Return of the Jedi" deleted scene with Luke fixing his lightsaber was amazing also. It was the only film of the original trilogy I saw in theaters before the Special Editions in the 90's. I can't believe it's 30 years old. Wow.

Scummy_and_Villainous likes this.
  5. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Happy 30th Anniversary to Return Of The Jedi!

I saw it on Saturday of its opening weekend. While I was waiting in line, some jerk exited the theater from the previous showing and yelled

"Darth Vader kills the Emperor!"

[face_monkey] :mad: [face_beatup]

I'm gonna watch it tonight, probably the blu-ray, though I'm considering the O-OT dvd.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    30 Years of Ian Mcdiarmid as Palpatine!

Vthuil, Darth Dnej and FRAGWAGON like this.
  7. O-Bulent Kenobi

O-Bulent Kenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 30, 2013
    I painted this in honor of the 30th anniversary on my iPad, my favorite part of Jedi!

[​IMG]

Nexumaster and FRAGWAGON like this.
  8. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    When I first started watching the SW movies about 9-10 years ago ROTJ was my favorite SW movie. This was until ROTS was released. I first saw episode 6 when i was 6 (funny how that works out :p) and was completely freaked out when Palpatine was electrocuting Luke with his lightning. Considering i watched it just hours after Id seen ESB for the first time, I was still reeling over Vaders revelation of Being Lukes father and was excited to see how that plotline was gonna be resolved.

9. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Just watched it again in Honor of the 30th Anniversary. Still amazing from beginning to end.

10. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I just watched most of it. I absolutely love it. It's probably my favorite SW film.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Did you beat up the guy when he said that :p

12. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I remember seeing this image in Bantha Tracks, I think (or was it People magazine or something...hard to remember):
    [​IMG]

I remember thinking "Whoa!! An AT-AT in a FOREST!! Is that LUKE being led to VADER?!?!?"

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  13. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    30 years? I feel so old now...

Someone hand me my walking stick, those bloody kids are on the front lawn again

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  14. Orrelios

Feb 21, 2005
    Myself, I remember renting the VHS (1995 pre-SE version) from the local video rental shop many times to watch with by brother. The Emperor revealed, Jabba the Hutt and his cronies, speeder bikes, Ewoks, the ultimate Luke vs. Vader showdown (round 2) and the big showdown between the rebels and the empire; ROTJ had it all and was definitely my favorite of the movies and the one I think I've seen the most (I eventually got my hands on the SE VHS box and I was so glad to finally get to see the SE version and it didn't disappoint). Now when I've gotten older, I have to say I like ESB more but I think ROTJ is my second favorite favorite of the saga and it holds as special place in my heart.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance at rewatching this great, great film yesterday but I hope will get to do it soon; it's a must.

15. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Time and time again I've watched Return of the Jedi, and it never ceases to amaze me as to how brilliantly it concludes the series, and in my opinion, leaves one wanting to see an Episode 7. Stellar filmmaking, of such a quality that it may truly be unsurpassed still, and rivaled only by the other two originals in the series. The creatures, characters, planets, spaceships, vehicles, etc...it has always left me wanting to see even more. May The Force that guided the original trilogy to perfection, be with future installments. =D=^:)^

16. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    ***t man, you've got a talent there, what a superb painting!!!

17. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    I remember all the Ralph McQuarrie ROTJ paintings appearing in comics and magazines before the movie come out and my little brain going into overdrive imagining what the finale of the Star Wars saga would bring!!! Great days before the internet took away all the excitement to the build up of a movie!!

18. Orrelios

Feb 21, 2005
    That's too bad. Everytime I hear a "waiting-in-line for an SW movie"-story like that where someone spoils it, I think of this:

19. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Still remember my neighbor telling me in the summer '82 that it was called Revenge of the Jedi! I waited all school year (I was in 4th grade) as we debated was Vader lying to Luke? Still remember where I sat in the theater (back left) of a sold out crowd. I was fascinated with Jabba's Palace at that age as that part blew me away! Was totally satisfied at the end when all our heroes were celebrating on Endor. Was totally expecting Episode 7 a few years later, only 30 years late. Better late then never!

20. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Happy 30th Anniversary Return of the Jedi!

I love ROTJ, it is one of my all time favorite movies. I'll never understand why the vast majority of Star Wars fans like ROTS better.

21. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Here's a post from my blog:
    Awww, Quit Pickin’ on the Ewoks…aka How I Am Marking ROTJ’s 30th Anniversary
    I was in sixth grade when ROTJ came out. That year, I went to something called “sixth grade camp,” and we were assigned to various groups that we bunked with. Each group was named after a Native American tribe, and the Miwok tribe wanted to re-name themselves the Ewoks. They weren’t officially allowed to, but that’s what they called themselves.

I had chinchillas for pets around that time, too, and when they had a litter of two babies, I wanted to name them Wicket and Teebo. Alas, neither of the babies survived, but then my chinchillas were littermates born to littermates, so it’s not all that surprising.

Incidentally, baby chinchillas are so cute they make baby Ewoks look ugly. Also, I have no problem with the idea of Ewoks overpowering the Imps. They were not only more familiar with the territory than the Imps, but there were a lot more Ewoks than there were Imps. Working as a single organism, they overpowered the Imps much like a swarm of ants overpowers a much larger insect or even something as large as livestock.

As was usually the case, the Imps’ overconfidence was their undoing. No doubt they parked Death Star 2 in Endor’s moon’s orbit precisely because they took one look at the inhabitants and said, “Oh please. A bunch of tiny furballs? We would have to devote minimal manpower to guarding the project.” Again as was usually the case, they underestimated their opponents.

Not to mention…maybe Lucas, as a short guy himself, liked the idea of short critters saving the day. After all, how many times does the teeny-tiny R2-D2 save various characters’ individual and collective tushes, not just in the prequels, but in the entire saga, including the holy, sacred ESB? And let’s not overlook that various heroic human SW characters are vertically challenged: Luke, Leia, Padmé.

22. O-Bulent Kenobi

O-Bulent Kenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 30, 2013
    thank you sir!

23. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    Seems like only yesterday. The highlight of my summer back in '83.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    My family was on vacation before we saw the film. I saw and bought the novelization and told myself I would nto read it until after I saw the movie.

Yeah well, that didn't go as planned. Read one page, which lead to one chapter, which lead to the whole book. Wa wa.

I don't regret it one bit, it made me want to see the film even more.

25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Happy Anniversary Jedi. As a kid I loved this film above all others so I'll always have a soft spot for it.

darklordoftech likes this.