main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars 300 costume tips?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Lizardmonkey, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizardmonkey

Lizardmonkey Jedi Master star 2

May 21, 2002
    I'm thinking half a soccer ball, cardboard face guard and brush plus gold spraypaint for the metallic parts for the helmet.
    I need to spend seven months in the gym to get the body - or stop eating and drinking (pah!) but I have the underpants.
    Any ideas?

2. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    One of my local comic book shops actually has a replica of the spartan helmet from 300. I'm not sure what it was made of, but it was selling for about $70 canadian, and it was full sized and wearable.

3. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    The Spartan shield and the Immortals' masks are also available.

4. NEMES1S

NEMES1S Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2005
    Yep, theres also the Spartan short sword, spear, and the Immortals double swords available.:D

5. Amanita

May 12, 2003
    Nice..where? I love the immortal mask.

6. NEMES1S

Jul 23, 2005
    I saw it on ebay. Type in keywords: "300 mask".

7. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Make a War Rhino costume.

8. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    I need a rhino costume.

You can always Froogle "spartan prop".

Can also do a search for "spartan" over at Entertainment Earth.

I've been thinking about doing a Persian superninja costume. Might be awhile til I get around to it, though.

9. Amanita

May 12, 2003
    A persian immortal costume would be seriously fun to do. If you can buy the mask and swords, there's two of the hardest parts down already. The armour's not that difficult, just so many overlapping plates heeld on by a few straps. The rest is just fabric- lots and lots of black fabric.

10. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    Chances are you'd need a lot longer than that.

!snap

11. abodeofthedamned

abodeofthedamned Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2004
    Not necessarilly. It would take a daily workout regimine of at least 4 hours though. And a low fat diet.

12. luminousbeing78

luminousbeing78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2005
    I have not seen the movie yet (can't wait!), but I've looked through the movie stills and would like to make Gorgo's white dress for D*C this year. The front looks like a low-cut halter with leather straps, but I can't find a pic of the back of the dress. Does it show in the film? If so, is it simply backless or is there more to it? Altogether it looks like a vamped-up toga--strategically cut. ;) Any info would be appreciated!

13. NEMES1S

Jul 23, 2005
    Or you could just do what the actual actors from the movie did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?search=&mode=related&v=w6Eyg32W4aE

*Note: they're at least 10 'video diaries'

14. han_solo2510

han_solo2510 Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2007
    i just hope i dont see all kinds of fat people dressing in spartan garb...go all out and get in shape...

15. Amanita

May 12, 2003
    If you can find it, the figure of Queen Gorgo is really nice, as far as showing off the costume. Here's the website:
    http://www.necaonline.com/product/detail/49005

16. YoungSpartan

YoungSpartan Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2007

17. Amanita

May 12, 2003
    For those, you might want to talk to somebody who does custom leatherwork, assuming you don't currently do leathercraft yourself. Especially leatherworkers who specialize in corsets and other apparel, as opposed to belts and such.
    For comfort, I would strongly suggest wearing a regular speedo underneath of the leather- it might help prevent chafing or other irritation. Not to mention that the speedo's alot easier to wash after a day at a sci-fi convention.

If real leather doesn't work for you, you might want to hit the fabric stores and look for suede-look fabric in dark brown.

18. YoungSpartan

Mar 27, 2007
    the speedo thing was my original plan the thing thta i am stuck on is the whole making the leather breifs thing but im kind of thinking about the suade thing that u said i think that it will be alot more comfterble but ima still at least try 4 the leather

19. Amanita

May 12, 2003
    I was thinking some more about this last night, and I hope this suggestion does not offend you, but you might want to find a leatherworker who does alot of work for the fetish community. Rest assured, a pair of leather Spartan briefs would be quite tame compared to some of the requests they get, and they will most likely do an exellent job in regards to fit and comfort.
    I'm aware of a couple of leatherworkers here in my relatively small city who could do an exellent job on such a piece, a larger city is very likely to have somebody skilled in that type of work.

20. YoungSpartan

Mar 27, 2007
    no it dosent offend me at all thats actually a gud idea the only reason why i was going to make it myself is because i liove in the bay area and i dont know where to find a leatherworker or what ever but i am going to look them up because i am really intrested in having the spartan breifs thank you so much!!!!! seriously saved me a lot of time and trouble ^-^

21. Amanita

May 12, 2003
    If by "The Bay area" you mean anywhere near San Francisco, then you should have a very easy time finding a leatherworker. In the meantime, collect as much reference material as you can- pictures, and if you can find the King Leonides figure at a local comic or collectable shop, that's even better. The better the reference material you can provide, the more move-accurate they can make your costume.

Good luck, Young Spartan!

22. YoungSpartan

Mar 27, 2007
    yea i live no more than 10 mins away from san francisco............. ok im going to look for a leatherworker out there thnx amanita!!! ill repost here when i get the leather breifs!!

23. Banzai88

Banzai88 Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2007
  24. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    i want to be a spartan! but i don't think the morailty police would approve of me going topless and i can't get this ripped, hunky actor i know to wear the costume!!!

the cloaks are made out of hand dyed red wool that had to be specially colored for the camera... the costume designer for that moive was at comicon last year on the costume designer's guild website... he was really nice and kinda cute...

25. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    The "300" workout.Mostly chunches, push ups of various types, chin ups, endurance training. not for the faint of heart or inactive person. It's a killer. I do this and I'm pretty active and I can't do this workout more than once or twice a month. along with my normal regeime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.