main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary *300* Friday, March 9th

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by BH-7113, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BH-7113

BH-7113 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    [image=http://www.comixconnection.com/uploaded_images/300-707925.jpg]

300 website Click HERE

Sunridge Spectrum Cinema Cineplex
    32nd St. N.E. and Sunridge Blvd. N.E., Calgary
    tel. (403) 717-1200

Friday night. March 9th.

Meet at 8pm?!?
    Go to the late showing?

2. Starkiller77

Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2005
    Late show! Wendy's!

3. BH-7113

Apr 20, 2005
    Sounds like a plan!!!

4. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Do I have to wear my red loincloth and cloak?

5. BH-7113

Apr 20, 2005
    yes please !!! [face_praying] [face_whistling] [face_dancing]

6. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Actually it's a brown leather codpiece and red cape. Xerxes wears a gold one - with lots of chains.

I would love to go, but I work Friday night. Perhaps if you decide to go for another viewing during the week, I'll be able to come.

Oh and you're going to LOVE this movie - graphically, it's AMAZING and so unique. Yes - I've seen it already ;)

Have fun guys!

7. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    Well I do have plenty of leather lying around...but I've got too much homework to make a whole costume this week. Maybe I'll just wear my leather pants.

8. BH-7113

Apr 20, 2005
    I've heard some reviews...All have been good.:-B [face_thinking] [face_praying] :cool:

9. BH-7113

Apr 20, 2005
    One more day....[face_dancing]

10. BH-7113

Apr 20, 2005
    [image=http://orlyowl.com/upload/files/owl_w00t.jpg]

11. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Scot. I really think you like that graphic to much as I see it on all the boards I check.

12. Starkiller77

Dec 29, 2005
    There are 9:30, 10 & 10:30 shows at Sunridge tonight... I say 10 or 10:30. Scott?

13. BH-7113

Apr 20, 2005
    Yeah 10 or 10:30....Lets shoot fer 10!!!

14. Starkiller77

Dec 29, 2005
    What time should we meet?

8 - buy tix & goto Wendy's
    9 - line up & bask in the hype
    10 - submit to Miller

15. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    8 o'clock meet up sounds good to me.

16. BH-7113

Apr 20, 2005
    Let us execute that plan!!!
    Sounds good to me...

17. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    So how was it?

18. Starkiller77

Dec 29, 2005
    The movie was awesome. It would have been even better if not for a crappy hollywoodized subplot involving the queen. It's a must see.

19. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    It was wicked indeed. I'm probably going to go again in a couple of weeks to see it on Imax. "THIS IS SPARTA!!!" *front thrust kick*

And let's not forget about the leaf monster. :p

20. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    So it would be worth seeing it IMAX style? Is it there now? Shawn, you should let me know when you're going!

21. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    IMAX is pretty amazing. Picture quality and SOUND is worth the extra $2.45 ($13.95 admission price). I would suggest you wait a few weeks as it's crazy busy right now - or at the very least, buy your tickets a few days in advance. EVERY show sold out this weekend - before the day's showing.

Neil - I liked the plot with the queen. Other than the fact that she caved to Theron's demands a little too quickly for my taste, but hell! Near the end when she gave him what he deserved - AWESOME!!

22. Starkiller77

Dec 29, 2005
    You are supposed to like the plot with the Queen. That's why it's hollywoodized, they need to add something for the girls to cheer about. It shows two charaters blatantly opposing the Spartan lifestyle (not due to a legit reason, due to bad writing). No, those scenes are not in the comicbook.

Anyway, it's still a wicked flick and you gotta see it.

23. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    [face_frustrated]

I had a LONG argument typed out for what seems to me, to be a bit of a chauvenistic remark, but I'm going to hold my tongue.....for now.

24. Starkiller77

Dec 29, 2005
    I didn't mean to be chauvanistic. I've watched a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff where writers/directors say women want to see strong female characters in movies. In the original 300 story, the queen only speaks in the goodbye scene. Other than that, she doesn't even appear. The only other female is the Oracle. I'm assuming the screenwriters wanted to balance all the shirtless guys with something different.

25. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    The movie could have ignored women a lot more than it did. It completely left out the fact that Spartan men slept with each other in the barracks to promote closer bonds between the warriors, and that they would only sneak in to their wives houses for sex, and then return to the barracks. It was thought that if you loved the man you were fighting next to, you would be fighting with much more ferocity, as you would be fighting not just for your own life, but for his as well. I can see how they would leave that historical fact out due to North America's blatant homophobia, but it's still important.

That isn't to say women had no importance in Sparta. On the contrary, Queen Gorgo said something along the lines of "Only Spartan women give birth to real men." That was a very important belief in their culture. Spartan women were greatly valued as wives and mothers; it's a natural role. In a society where it's more honourable to die in battle than live to fight another day, what role could be more important than that of a mother? They needed to make babies. These days gender equality is such an important concept, but to understand how things were in Sparta, we just have to accept one tiny little super important fact: men can't give birth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.