main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

300 - Old Skool Meet-up?!?!

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Lord-Tice, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    The forth coming film 300 is causing a stir for some of us geeks on here, and with it due to hit the UK on March 30th, would anyone be interested in seeing it at the pictures??

Central London would be the logical venue of choice, although if there are any other offerings, feel free to express them. When we get closer to the release date, I'll see what cinemas are showing it but I'm thinking of going to one of the arthouse cinemas rather then the glitz and glam of Leicester Square.

2. Darth_Paddy_666

Darth_Paddy_666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2006
    Not heard about this film before and I've just watched all the bumpf on the 300 site and I have to say I'm really quite impressed!

The thought of taking a mythic battle like this and doing a graphic novel is great but the fact that the director actually wants to re-produce that graphic novel into film is simply awesome =D=

I for one will be taking Stormtrooper_fan to Leicester Square (she'd not been there before) to see it.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    If you wish to wait until a little after the release, I might be able to get free tickets if we go to an ODEON.

4. ch-hala

ch-hala Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2006
    Its not a mythic battle. [face_frustrated] It took place at Thermopylae in 480BC and Sparta taught the Persians a well deserved lesson. It made the rest of Greece sit up and take notice too.

Before anyone starts, yes I know the outcome of the battle but I'm not going into it here for the ppl that haven't read about what happened.

It's arguably one of the most influential and important battles in Ancient Times.

5. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    i think by mythic he meant 'of staggering proportions',rather than 'it didn't actually happen'...
    but hell,yeah... we'd be up for that!
    it's my birthday that week,by the way...
    my thirty-/cough,cough-somethingth birthday.
    thanks for the offer,ritchie,but i can't wait to see this film and would gladly pay extra to see the film sooner.
    ;)

6. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I thought you were heading for at least 40 this year Jamie :p ;)

Thanks for the offer Richie, but I should have mentioned this meet is most likely (certain in fact) to take place at the weekend so that may cause complications with the free tickets, plus I'm also happy to pay for films as they need funding for future productions, lol.

I'm tempted to get the Frank Miller Graphic Novel, but I'll wait until afterwards to prevent getting spoiled.

7. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    chicken,or egg?
    i don't know if getting the book would spoil you... or enhance your viewing pleasure?

8. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I've been trying to find the book, a month or so ago it was readily available, but looks like 300 fever has hit. Regarding the reading of the book first - It's a hard one, but I'd say it's down to which one you feel is the more important - the book that was inspired by historical events or the film that was inspired by the book.

Matt - I put some links for 300 here which includes the first four or so pages of the collected Dark Horse Comics tpd of 300. I have a feeling DHC will bring it out again as single issues before the film hits. I'll check their site to make sure.

Shame it's not the week before when John comes to London, I'd have been able to see it with you guys :(

9. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    Blimey, take a chill pill... he meant as in EPIC... if there's one thing Darth_Paddy_666 knows about it's history!! You can trust me on that one!

10. ch-hala

ch-hala Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2006
    I'm sorry. If he is that up on History, then I thought he may understand the difference between mythic and epic
    I'm pretty sure the difference is covered in history at school pretty early in the piece..

11. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Given the event was historic, rather then being part of Greek mythology, epic is the better word to use but it's always nice to have a bit of a history (and English) lesson because I know hardly nout about this particular battle :D

And Jamie, I had a wee look on imdb.com and the director of 300, a Mr.Zack Snyder, is currently down as the director of Watchmen.
    Of cause, it's early days yet and no doubt some problems will occur down the road, but if 300 is a success then it can only bode well for Watchmen to finally get the green light!

EDIT: It may be possible there'll be pre-view showings the weekend before Tim, so I will keep a close eye on the cinema listings.

12. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    look,can we just forget about that news regarding watchmen?
    let's forget all about it and not mention it... ever again.
    they might forget about it and not make the film...
    let's hope?

13. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    No, we can't let it go Jamie :p
    I'd love to see the Watchmen made as a film but it is one tricky little blighter I must admit.

Tim, I saw the 300 GN in Waterstones on Saturday. Might be worth checking out.

14. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    funnily enough,i re-read it today... 300,that is... not watchmen!
    if they can capture half of whats in that book on the screen...

15. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    FP in Liverpool had quite a few copies Matt too - it's about £17, very tempted but there were two new SW books out that day - the new Timothy Zahn novel "Allegiance" and one for the artists on here - "You can draw Star Wars" (A Dorling Kindersley book) - aimed at budding comic artists. So I went with SW this week, may get 300 next week. Looks good, and I think the film will be great Jamie.

16. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    i've been waiting for that book to come out for a while now... big up,matt busch!!!
    i'll go and order my copy right now...
    ...and maybe i'll be able to draw star wars,too.
    or maybe not?

17. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I'll have to check out the 'How to draw Star Wars' book, I might get some tips myself :p

There's also a '300: The Art of the Film' book out. Not sure if I'd rather have that or the proper GN, or both even.

18. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    matt,if the 'making of/art of' book for 300 is going to be anywhere as good as the 'making of/art of' book for sin city was,it'll be money well spent.
    if your finances stretch that far,i'd go for both... but you can always borrow my copy,if need be. xxx

19. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    They both look nice ... and great that they have been done in a similar style (and looks like size).

20. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Anyone who reads teletext would have read that the film got a very bad reception in Berlin. Lots of walk-outs and booing at the end credits. I'll wait for some more reviews but I feel my hopes dashing somewhat.

The Art of book is also a disappointment. Then again I've yet to see any Art of book meeting the incredibly high standards of the Star Wars ones, so maybe I've been spoilt too much :p

21. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    i'll take that reception in berlin with a pinch of salt.
    the germans aren't exactly known for their taste,are they?
    der schwinehunds!!!

22. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    It was being shown as part of the Berlin film festival, so most likely would have been a very international-based audience, although probably full of press and critics too.

I'll wait for some solid review sources to come through first.

23. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    jah! mit der einen schmitten und der liebschien.

anyhoo,are we talking about going on the saturday?

24. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    I glanced through the graphic novel, if the film matches up anywhere to what I saw, then I should enjoy it. And from the trailers I do like the visual style, so can't see what will annoy me. I have a feeling the people booing may not have known the details event it is about - unfortunately it's based on history, you can't change that. May be wrong, but that is my gut.

I agree with you Matt about the making of book (my above comment was before I opened it up lol) and having glanced through, it's not a patch on an SW art book.

25. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    I'm interesting to see a film

About Iranian getting kicked by Greeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.