main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 300: Rise of an Empire

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Jun 12, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The movie was basically a bunch of people staring and ogling at each other in extreme slow motion for 104 minutes.

2. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Dude, this place isn't your personal erotica site. There are thousands of other sites out there for your kind of creepiness, sites where it is welcome and accepted, this site is not one of them.

3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Eva Green's character is kinda wasted in this movie.

4. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Xerxes was wasted, she was not. She was the most interesting and appealing thing in the movie just with how over the top villainous she was

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    A site with cutting-edge gifs and a lack of Star Wars decor?

VadersLaMent likes this.
  6. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Xerxes was still alive, we will have to see what happens in the sequel.

Eva Green's character was fine in the beginning, but beside the stupid sex scene, she was too reckless in the second half.

You can see in the beginning she was very patient could endure 2 small losses and didn't kill after the sex scene, even before that she also manipulated Xerexs, but the later half she just lost her mind.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Did a little above expectations this weekend at the box office: $45 million domestic (with a very high 63% in 3D). That's 36% below the original (but there was not any expectation that this would meet or exceed that),'z If it performs like the first, it'll hit $130 domestic total.

Overseas it's up 10% over the first film with $87.8m, with Japan and China still to go.

If that plays out, I think its safe to say there will be a third film.

8. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Historically Artemesia survived the battle. So you can bet a third movie if they make one will have Xerxes die at Plataea or something.

I don't have an issue with the sex scene as it was completely in keeping with her character. She wanted someone with a mind on her level and gave Themistocles the whole seduction routine.

The beginning wasn't so much patience as she was bored. There was no need to defeat the Greeks so she let her commanders have at them so she could watch Themistocles destroy them. Her losses meant nothing to her. Then Themistocles shoots her down and the next day she annihilates his entire fleet in about a minute.

As for her being stupid in the end... so was Themistocles. They both went into battle with the sole purpose of 'kill the other' the big difference being the Athenians had an unplanned rescue at the end by all of Greece's naval might.

Artemisia was nuts the whole movie, Themistocles just found a way to make that useful and made her go all Captain Ahab on him. Which he points out backfired horribly the first time.

Gamiel likes this.
  9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

So in 2017, a God King bleeds? :p

The2ndQuest likes this.
  10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Are they really going to make another one? Aren't there only two graphic novels?
    And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Xerxes go back to Persia after Salamis? If he's not there with his S&M piercings to mock super-abbed & unexplainably unarmored Greeks what story can a 3rd movie sustain?

11. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Well the one Rise of an Empire is based on is still a work in progress last I heard.

Artemesia also didn't die in a one on one duel with Themistocles. And Dairus didn't die at Marathon History is only a guideline for them...

My guess is he'll be the Sauron at Plataea with Gorgo and Themistocles as Elendil and Gil-Galad.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's only two GN, but there was only one GN when they made the first film, so it's entirely possible Miller will write a third GN for a third film to be based upon.

Because as it stands now, there's no closure on Xerxes's defeat in the series, which a film series would need (especially one such as this that isn't fully bound to historical accuracy).

13. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    They tried to go A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons with this one. Taking place at the same time as the first one and going a bit further like ADWD. Well, the way the first movie ends kind of leaves you with blue balls for this movie. You don't get ANY Battle of Plataea, all you get is a side bar second instalment which is worse than the first movie.

14. karilyan

karilyan Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2014
    Just finished watching the first film. Still, leagues better than this movie, hopefully not nostalgia. A lot more epic moments and better written for what it is. Hoping the third one gets it right!

15. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002

16. thebadge

Mar 15, 2002
    Taking about a grown woman who shows off her body to the whole world got a couple sentences out of me.
    It would get the same from most groups of grown men people saying oh that's creepy would be laughed at
    get over it.

17. thebadge

Mar 15, 2002
    None of it bothered her………"quote" Now I am dumb with this stupid thread since people are calling me some pretty vile things which look to be far more
    of an issue for TOS on this site than what I said.

Eva also tells us how extreme she is aside from being transfixed on war, she has her eye on the enemy.

"She kind of is intrigued by her enemy, Themistokles, played by Sullivan Stapleton. She wants to possess him because he turns out to be such a great enemy and very... yeah, like he's her perfect match and they end up having kind of a love scene. It's more like a love-hate fight scene. It's not vanilla sex, that's for sure. So that was full-on. I've never done a scene like this."

RELATED NEWS
    MTV Review: 300: Rise Of An Empire
    As the only girl training with men, Eva said of the preparation: "I took this role because it was an action film. So all of that training for free was great, to train with those guys in the gym was so cool.

"I felt like - you feel very powerful, you're the only girl too training with the guys. You feel special and it's fun.”

300: Rise Of An Empire is out now.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It was good to see a real female leader from history, especially from so long ago when pretty much everything was dominated by men. Xerses may have been a tyrant who enslaved & killed thousands, but he at least still promoted a woman to high status within his military because he saw her potential.
    I'm not really up on Greek history, but how many women did they ever have fighting in their army or navy?

That being said though, it did seem like Artemesia didn't get as much development as she could have. She was obviously a great leader like Themistocles and more ruthless (both in the movie and in history) but the sex scene bit was pretty unnecessary and Eva Green did go a bit OTT some of the time (but then so did the whole movie). She also didn't do a great deal aside from sit around and dictate stuff, her exchanges with Xerses were too few and that was a shame because her influence with him is an interesting aspect.

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I wish Lena Heady had done more in this film.

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Don't forget the ten minutes of Themistocles playing with Artemesia's boobs in slow motion. :p

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ok look. This thread has turned into a boob thread. Is it 300 Rise Of An Empire or 3 (@)(@) Rise OF An Empire?

I shalt pass on this. It just doesn't sound good at all.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah I'd wait for the DVD.

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    DVD? No. That'd cost extra money. Cable.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd still contend that this one has a better story to it than the first film, even if it lacks the same oomph in the "epic moments". I'd say the strengths and weaknesses of each film balance out each other to the point where they break even with each other in how I'd rate them (another reason why I'd love to see a supercut of the films together).

If you liked the first one, chances are you'll like this one.

25. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003
    I think this was a decent movie with good action and I didn't think the story was so bad, and yes Eva Green did steal the show, this film is on par with the first 300 and I was very skeptical about this film after watching it I give this movie 7.5/10