main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive 30th Anniv. Collage Sign-Up List

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elysiann

Elysiann Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2006
    Count me in!

1. HanSolo29
    2. Nidrail
    3. Mitth_Fisto
    4. Bieren
    5. Fenrisulven
    6. GIMER
    7. Chilla
    8. Basement24
    9. Sith-Lord-Gunray
    10.Soitscometothis
    11. rhi-sparks
    12. DarthFar
    13. Elysiann

2. DarthFar

DarthFar Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2007
    HanSolo29: How are you planning on dividing up the characters? Letting the artists pick, or randomising the 30, and then going, '#1-3 go to Artist 1, #4-6 to Artist 2'? I'm okay whichever way, but I was just curious. ;)

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Well, I was originally thinking of having the artists choose who they wanted to do, but maybe it'll be better to randomly draw the characters to eliminate any ill feelings or possible disputes. As always, I'm open to suggestions. :)

4. BIEREN

BIEREN Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    I'm already doing a stormtrooper, so i was hoping i could do that, if no one minds, i'm also wiling to do others....

5. Lord_Anjok

Lord_Anjok Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2007
    I would like to join this too. So count me in please.

1. HanSolo29
    2. Nidrail
    3. Mitth_Fisto
    4. Bieren
    5. Fenrisulven
    6. GIMER
    7. Chilla
    8. Basement24
    9. Sith-Lord-Gunray
    10.Soitscometothis
    11. rhi-sparks
    12. DarthFar
    13. Elysiann
    14. Lord_Anjok

6. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Random draw sounds good. Looks liek we're one shy of 2 characters per person! ONE MORE!!! SOMEONE!!! :p

7. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    What the heck I'll take a bash at it.

1. HanSolo29
    2. Nidrail
    3. Mitth_Fisto
    4. Bieren
    5. Fenrisulven
    6. GIMER
    7. Chilla
    8. Basement24
    9. Sith-Lord-Gunray
    10.Soitscometothis
    11. rhi-sparks
    12. DarthFar
    13. Elysiann
    14. Lord_Anjok
    15. odj_310388

Are we each getting assigned 2 specific characters? Randomness would be a bit tricky as people will want to do their favourite characters.

8. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    Something humanoid would be lovely. :p

9. Snap

Snap Jedi Youngling

Jul 4, 2006
    Hmm,seems I've found out about this project a wee bit too late...I doubt anyone wants to give up one of their two characters to a relatively inactive artists such as myself. Bummer. Oh well...I can't wait to see the final result either way.

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey there, Snap!

You may still be able to get in on this. I'm sure there's someone willing to give up two characters in order to do one. You may want to check with Mitth_Fisto. I know he expressed in the past that he would probably only be able to get one done by the deadline.

With that being said, I will be cutting off the sign-ups after Snap. From there, we will pick characters and get started on this thing. Regarding picking your characters or randomly drawing them, I think what I will do is allow you to pick your first character and then for the second, it will be a random draw.

11. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    Do we just post our first pics in here?

12. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I will be starting up another thread designated for posting the finished art. As for picking the characters, I'm not entirely sure how I want to set it up yet. I know for a fact that everyone will be wanting to do the major characters so I may just have them available for the drawing portion so we don't have people fighting over them. This way, everyone gets an equal chance at getting a "big one."

EDIT: Actually, I was just thinking this over. I'm gonna change my mind again and say to have everything as a random draw. Everyone gets an equal chance with all characters. And just a note, please do NOT start on these drawings until you have both of your characters approved. I will be starting a thread shortly in regards to getting your characters and how it will be handled.

13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    These are going to be full-figure pictures with no background, done in any media, in colour or black and white, right?

14. DarthFar

DarthFar Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2007
    Randomising the list sounds good to me. :D

I have another (probably superfluous!) question. I know that we'll be going with full figures, no backgrounds to make things easier for the people putting the collage together to 'cut out' the characters, but what about the lighting? are we going with any particular studio setup as well, so that all the characters wind up being lit from the same side (eg. front)? or is all that shading/shadowing stuff at our discretion? Sorry if this sounds silly; I was just curious (again). ;)

15. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    good point Darth Far!
    Well cool, I'll just be happy to be drawing star wars again :)

16. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I think that having set lighting conditions would be too limiting. It would really cut down on the number of reference-photos we could use.

17. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    That's correct. I was thinking of allowing busts as well, but I'm not sure how that would fit in so we'll just stick to full figures.

I agree with soits on this issue. Putting a restriction on the lighting would be too limiting and that in return, would cause hunting for reference extremely difficult. We can always adjust the lighting in PS after we have everything together.

18. gatodama

gatodama LFL Artist star 3 VIP

May 17, 2002
    Why not have everyone do one bust and one full body..lighting is easy to fix..if you decide as a group to go with the light from the left...any refs that have it from the right, just flip it.

It will be really difficult to adjust the lighting on everyones pieces in photoshop after the fact and you would be messing with someones final art. Pick a direction and go with that..it would be the easiest thing to do other than not worrying about it.;)

19. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Why flip the source image? Why not just flip the finished picture, if it needs to be done.

Besides, some of the more obscure characters don't have much in the way of reference-shots anyway. The more realistic the artist's style, the more trouble it is to change the lighting..

20. gatodama

gatodama LFL Artist star 3 VIP

May 17, 2002
    Flipping the source will help the drawing maintain a consistant quality..when flipping someones artwork you will draw attention to the flaws in the drawing/painting.

sorry I was just trying to help out.. I will go back to my work now.

21. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I appreciate you stepping in here and trying to help out, Cat! Thanks for the words of advice and helping to steer us in the right direction! It's always great to hear what the professionals think about all this. [:D]

I think what she's saying is to flip the source image if need be so we have uniform lighting throughout, which isn't a bad idea. On some of the shots, you can even take some artistic freedom and come up with your own lighting to fit in with the rest. The only thing I worry about now is some folks may have already started their drawings and it may be too late to go with a uniform lighting.

Although, I guess what we can do is to go with a uniform lighting for those who haven't started their drawings yet and who are comfortable doing it and try to fit in the others when the time comes to put this thing together. So, for those who are comfortable doing this and are able, let's try to have the light coming in from the right side. If you don't feel comfortable doing this on your own, no big deal. We can try to fix things later on. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.