1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!
  2. Welcome Guest.

New feature: The Art of Disney…Now discussing:

Art Archive 30th Anniversary Art Collage Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Hey all,

With the 30th Anniversary of Star Wars fast approaching, the Fan Art forum would like to do something special to commemorate the event. As some of you may know, the original idea was first brought up in this thread a few months ago. Since then, it has been decided that the members of the Fan Art community would like to work together to create a Star Wars collage featuring various SW characters. Once completed, they will be pieced together and displayed on the forums for all to see.

A few fine details still need to be worked out, and this is where you come in. I would like feedback on whether to just focus on ANH or the Saga as a whole. Do you want this to be a huge collage featuring all characters or just limited to the one that started it all? Would you mind allowing non-members of the Fan Art forum to participate or do you want to keep it exclusively to the regulars here? And finally, the handling of who will be doing which characters and deadlines.

We only have a few weeks to get this thing moving, so let's hear your ideas! :)
  2. BIEREN Force Ghost

star 3
    I think it should be the whole Saga, but all major characters must in it, we couldn't do it without say, Han Solo. My questions is: will they all be standing together or doing stuff independently like in a collage, meaning are these full body renderings or just portraits?
  3. Chilla Force Ghost

star 4
    Will we include some characters of the EU? Like Mara Jade? [face_thinking] I have no clue. There are quite a lot of characters out there. But I agree with BIEREN that we should put all main characters in it.
  4. Basement24 Jedi Knight

star 2
    It would definitely be all the main characters. I think it should be just movie-based characters, not EU, or we'd be getting way too large an image. I was originally voting for JUST A New Hope characters, but the whole Saga would be good as well. This might mean a few characters per person though.

The original idea I had was that the characters would be in fairly neutral poses to make it look like a class portrait of sorts. This way, no one character would stand out from the rest as well. Granted, I think they'd be posed in specific places (Vader should be front and center, I'd say).

If it is the whole Saga though, one thing to think about -- Would we just have one version of a character, or multiple versions (ie, Luke Tatooine, Luke Bespin, Luke Jedi, or just one Luke)?
  5. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    B24 pretty much summed up my views of it. I would like to stick to the Saga(possibly even just the OT) and movie characters only. And maybe have one of each character present. For example, just have one universal Luke instead of three versions from the three films. It gets a little redundant when you start repeating characters as well. Unless of course the character changes drastically like Anakin into Vader.

As for poses, I think simple publicity shots would work best.
  6. Chilla Force Ghost

star 4
    Will all of the pictures be made with the same media or will it be like pencil-drawings, colored drawings, paintings and computer generated pics mixed?
  7. BIEREN Force Ghost

star 3
    I think B24's right, maybe we should do only ANH characters, all six movies would be a lot of work in 40 days. I think we should also choose a medium so they all look unifromed--like they were on the set together.
  8. Basement24 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I made a list of 30 characters from the OT and 30 from the PT, pretty much just speaking roles only, or longer screen appearances like Lobot (sorry Bounty Hunter and Aayla fans...) I'm sure this could be rearranged a fair bit.

I thoguht 30 from each would be good because of the 30th anniversary and all. I'll post them in paragraph form so this thread doesn't run for miles and miles on people's screens. There's also 30 form just A NEW HOPE, but more non-speaking, but iconic characters are involved.

Also, characters like R2, 3PO, Chewie, and Jabba aren't in the Prequel list, because I figure they are more OT prominent, and if we do PT, we're definitely doing the OT, so they'd be covered from the OT list. The only characters that double up as such are Anakin / Vader, Obi-Wan / Ben Kenobi, Young Boba / Boba Fett, and Palpatine / Sidious / Emperor since they are different enough. I'm open to change young Boba to maybe Poggle the Lesser, or Captain Tarpals, since they had more going on than Young Boba did.

I'm definitely open to suggestions, but if we don't have too long to go, I don't think we should get carried away with every Cantina Alien or Jedi Council Member.

ORIGINAL TRILOGY:
    -----------------
    Admiral Ackbar, Admiral Piett, Aunt Beru, Ben Kenobi, Bib Fortuna, Biggs Darklighter, Boba Fett, C-3PO, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, General Veers, Grand Moff Tarkin, Greedo, Han Solo, Jabba the Hutt, Jawa, Lando Calrissian, Lobot, Luke Skywalker, Mon Mothma, Nein Nunb, Princess Leia, R2-D2, Stormtrooper, Tusken Raider, Uncle Owen, Wedge Antilles, Wicket, Yoda.

PREQUEL TRILOGY:
    ----------------
    Anakin Skywalker, Bail Organa, Battle Droid, Boss Nass, Captain Panaka, Captain Typho, Clone Trooper, Commander Cody, Count Dooku, Darth Maul, Darth Sidious, Dexter Jettster, General Grievous, Jango Fett, Jar Jar Binks, Mace Windu, Nute Gunray, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Padmé Amidala, Palpatine, Pit Droid, Qui-Gon Jinn, Rune Haako, Sebulba, Shmi Skywalker, Super Battle Droid, Taun We, Watto, Young Boba Fett, Zam Wesell.

A NEW HOPE:
    -----------
    Admiral Motti, Aunt Beru, Ben Kenobi, Biggs Darklighter, C-3PO, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Death Star Gunner, Doctor Evazan, Figrin D'an, Garindan, General Tagge, Grand Moff Tarkin, Greedo, Han Solo, Jawa, Jek Porkins, Luke Skywalker, Moman Nadon, Ponda Baba, Princess Leia, R2-D2, R5-D4, Red Leader, Sandtrooper, Stormtrooper, TIE Pilot, Tusken Raider, Uncle Owen, Wedge Antilles.

Thoughts...?
  9. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Wow, impressive list! You got just about everyone covered!

As I look those lists over, the more I'm leaning towards just doing ANH. Not only are we running low on time, but it also allows some of the more obscure characters to have some "face time." Not to mention it is ANH's 30th Anniversary. Unless someone really wants to include the other five films, would there be any objections to just focusing on ANH?

In terms of medium, I think it would work out better to keep it open to preference. I know from experience that if I'm forced to work in a medium I'm not comfortable or not that great in, the final piece reflects that. I think as long as we keep it to straight publicity photos(or something very similar), we should be fine.
  10. Minela Jedi Knight

star 3
    It really should be the whole Saga because ever since RotS, I have looked at the six movies as one. We can't have the OT without the PT, too many great characters would be lost. Also, because we haven't had many anniversaries with all six movies complete. Also, I'd like to add that a collage with many characters would look more powerfull. Plus, who would have the heart to leave out Darth Maul, Anakin, Padme, Mace...

Thanks.
  11. Mitth_Fisto Force Ghost

star 5
    I like where this thing is going, altough I would be happy either way with just the OT or All six, but not just the PT that just ain't natural.
    Just don't expect much from me at the moment, at least for a couple of weeks after finals have passed. And I don't know if my current style would be up to snuff since I tend to do portraits and I don't know if that's the kind of stuff you'ld be lookin for.
  12. BIEREN Force Ghost

star 3
    My vote is for ANH characters. time is running short, so let's get started soon.
  13. Basement24 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Good thoughts on this. Here's another theory, although I'm thinking ANH would be better because we get some smaller characters. I do like Minela's thoughts on the PT though. Here's a new theory. 15 from each trilogy to make a character a year. You're losing some good minor characters though, but we are time restrained.

-----
    Admiral Ackbar, Boba Fett, C-3PO, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, Grand Moff Tarkin, Han Solo, Jabba the Hutt, Lando Calrissian, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, R2-D2, Stormtrooper, Wedge Antilles.

Anakin Skywalker, Clone Trooper, Count Dooku, Darth Maul, General Grievous, Jango Fett, Jar Jar Binks, Mace Windu, Nute Gunray, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Padmé Amidala, Palpatine, Qui-Gon Jinn, Shmi Skywalker, Watto.
    -----

There's only 1 of each character now though, except Anakin/Vader that's more like 2 separate people, and (Senator / Chancellor) Palpatine/Emperor Palpatine, again, 2 characters. Obi-Wan is only in the PT since he was more focused there. I'd gladly move him to the OT and remove Wedge, and place someone else from the PT list in his place though.

Could we set up come kind of poll that people can vote on maybe with all the options?
  14. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Hmm...perhaps a poll would be wise. I'm still leaning towards just ANH characters. The more I think about it, the more I think we should be commemorating the actual 30th Anniversary of that film. Plus, I like the idea of including some of the lesser known characters. There's just something about them that makes the whole thing special.

So, our options are:

1) Only ANH
    2) Saga (30 characters each)
    3) Saga (15 characters each)

Is that correct?
  15. Corran_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd go with option 1)

Simply because we can't have a Jar-Jar! :rolleyes: Even one frozen in carbonite or cut in two halves or something would ruin the collage.

:p

No, I think HS29 has a point, it's the anniversary for ANH, and minor characters should have a go, too, imho.
  16. BIEREN Force Ghost

star 3
    I agree with option 1, ANH only
    I would like to have the Stormtrooper
  17. Basement24 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yeah, I think ANH only for this would be good, even after all my list compiling. :p
  18. BigFatty Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree that it should just be option #1.
  19. Mitth_Fisto Force Ghost

star 5
    I guess I'll have to decide now...Option #1. It just makes the best since with the actual anivesery and all thats been discussed with giving the smaller characters a chance to be shown as well.
  20. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Well, with everyone chiming in here, I think it's safe to say that we will go with Option 1(ANH only).

As for the characters we'll portray, I'm fine with the list B24 posted above. Now it's only a matter of who wants to participate and assigning characters accordingly. I posed this question earlier, but I'll ask it again - would you rather we kept it within this forum or open it up to the JC as a whole?
  21. Chilla Force Ghost

star 4
    I go with ANH as well.

Not sure yet.
    If we open it to the JC as a whole, we'll probably get more artists together than if we only do it Fanart-intern, since some of the artists here are very busy most of the time.
    But in return, we might get people who can draw very good but have never drawn anything Star Wars before.

How many artists do we need? One for every character or will some artists draw several?
    If it's one per person, I take the JC as a whole. Than we can be sure we'll find someone for every character.
  22. Elysiann Jedi Knight

star 1
    I am somewhat interested in this, but I was wondering what exactly you all wanted...
    fullbody poses, portraits, sitting, standing, action or anything goes, and whether you have a concept or theme in mind. other than the anniversary that is... ie, a party or celebration, or again anything goes.
  23. Basement24 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm definitely in! We could include more people than just this forum, but we'd have to cap it at 30 people since there's 30 characters (for each of the 30 years, of course!)

Elysiann, here's the original mock-up I created. It'd be like a class photo of characters, so the poses would be fairly neutral. They don't have to be rigid and standing at attention, but they should be standing upright, and not leaping or running or on a dynamic camera angle. That is, if everyone's still interested in this format!

[image=http://www.basement24.com/tmp/30th-mural-rough.jpg]

Should we stake claims to characters, (first come, first serve?) or have someone hold a draw for who draws what?
  24. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I think what I'm going to do is create a sign-up list and depending on how many people sign up, that's how many characters each person will get. We'll cap it off at 30 and if we get less than that, we'll just double up on characters. At this point, I'll keep it exclusive to Fan Art and then next week, open it up to the entire JC by mentioning it in the next MS update. Once we get the number of people figured out, we'll go ahead and assign/pick characters.
  25. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    I know this was already asked but just checking again, any medium at all is fine for this?
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.