main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

30th Anniversary of Star Wars Halloween costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Photo-Knight, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Photo-Knight

Photo-Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 9, 2007
    2007 is the 30th Anniversary of the original Star Wars movie, so it is also the 30th Anniversary of the first Star Wars Halloween [face_pumpkin].

On my Flickr site, I added pictures from a 1977 Halloween party and dance [face_dancing] in a dorm at the University of Washington, Seattle USA. Back then there were no blogs or web sites for help in designing or making costumes, so we did everything from scratch. We were PoorStarvingCollegeStudents (that's one word) so that meant cheap materials and hours of loving labor.

I don't resemble any of the movie characters, so I got to be R2-D2. We made it out of a dome-top garbage can that we, um, borrowed, yeah, that's it, we borrowed it. I spent the whole time on my knees. I had a new appreciation for Kenny Baker's acting ability after trying to dance on my knees with a girl on her feet. Making R2-D2 do anything interesting is really hard! [face_tired]

If you find the picture of a guy on the floor (with a bag on his head), the other guy holding the unpainted Darth Vader mask is me at age 18.

P.S. These are scans of 30-year-old prints, so the picture quality is not up to the level of my other pictures on Flickr. [face_blush]

Enjoy the set!

Photo-Knight
    Photo-Knight pictures on Flickr

2. Dark-Sith_ofthe_Moon

Dark-Sith_ofthe_Moon Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2004
    Those are really cool pics!

3. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Those are fantastic! Thanks for sharing them with us. The R2 (you) and the C-3PO were great!

4. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    Awesome!
    Very ingenious work there. Somebody did a great Leia too:)

5. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Wow, you guys were hard core! Molding masks and everything! I bow to you :D

The costumes look great! Looks like it was so much fun. Thank you for sharing those!

6. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    WOW! I was "around" that age back then.
    I'm jealous! I wish I thought of making the costumes. What nice pics to have saved!

7. Photo-Knight

Photo-Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 9, 2007
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Just think how people 30 years from now will think of the costumes you're wearing today.

At least folks today have conventions and events for wearing costumes. I don't think anyone in those pictures wore the costume after Halloween. I know I took my car stereo speaker cover back off Darth Vader's chest.

Photo-Knight

8. ledbyjordan

ledbyjordan Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2007
    does anyone know where i can find some collectibles* of Darth Revan's things?
    and costumes?
    here's my email...
    hxc_rockstar_2009@yahoo.com
    thanks guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.