main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

30th Anniversary US Postage STAR WARS Stamps!

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Well it's about time!

Post Office unveils Star Wars stamp set

[image=http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/Erika_PLJ/swstamps.jpg]

WASHINGTON - Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Kenobi will do battle one more time ? and the emperor, Han Solo, Princess Leia and others will join in the struggle. A set of 15 stamps commemorating the Star Wars movies will be released in May, the Postal Service said Wednesday.
    ADVERTISEMENT

And people will get to vote on their favorite from the set, which will be reissued in late summer or early fall as a single stamp, said David Failor, director of stamp services at the post office.

"We're hoping that it really grabs a lot of attention. There are certainly a lot of Star Wars fans out there," Failor said in a telephone interview.

The 41-cent stamps will be released May 25. The price of sending a letter goes up to that rate on May 14.

Failor said issuing a Star Wars stamp had been considered previously in the "Celebrate the Century" stamp series, and the advisory committee that selects stamp subjects recently decided to revive the idea for the 30th anniversary of the release of the first Star Wars film.

The 15 stamps will be issued on a single sheet that resembles a movie poster. Once the stamps are available, people who want to vote for their favorite will be able to do it online at http://www.uspsjedimaster.com.

Individual stamps feature:

? Darth Vader.

? Yoda.

? Obi-Wan Kenobi.

? Han Solo and Chewbacca.

? Anakin Skywalker fighting Obi-Wan Kenobi.

? Queen Padme Amidala.

? Luke Skywalker.

? Princess Leia Organa with R2-D2.

? Emperor Palpatine.

? Darth Maul.

? Imperial Stormtroopers.

? Boba Fett.

? The Millennium Falcon.

? An X-wing fighter.

? C-3PO.

Click here for article!

2. Grand_Duchess_Olga

Grand_Duchess_Olga Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I can't wait to get them. Standing in line at the Post Office will be just like standing in line for TPM tickets...it will take 2 months.

Go Postal!

3. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I'll be there!

I voted for "Old Ben" Kenobi on the website, but I'm pretty sure Vader will win the vote. Maul and the Mustafar duel were close second choices for me. I'm so glad these are coming out.

4. cronus8

cronus8 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 29, 2002
    I beleive you can order them online... then you don't have to wait in line or worry about them being sold out.. thats what I am going to do.

5. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    They rock! I'll be buying a set, that's for darn sure!

6. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Beautiful artwork on those stamps! I ended up voting for Luke even though I find him really annoying. But the shot of him looking into the two suns is one of the iconic images of the films for me. That being said, I also agree that Vader will probably end up winning.

7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    In true Star Wars fashion it coincides with a 2 cent hike in the price of a stamp :p.

These look pretty neat.

8. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] It's funny because it's true.

9. cronus8

Jun 29, 2002
    You can now pre-order them from usps.com if you like.

Edit: Ooops I didn't see the other thread saying they were available now.

10. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    Star Wars Shop now has a lot of exclusive stamp merchandise up for pre-order -- a poster, t-shirt, mouse pad, tote bag, coffee mug, travel mug, lapel pin set, etc. I'm thinking about picking up the mouse pad and possibly the t-shirt. Nice stuff!

11. Darth_Phineas

Darth_Phineas Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2004
    When I went to the post office Monday to buy a roll of the new .41 stamps, they verified that these would be relased on 05-25-2007.

Somehow, I'm a little surprised that Lucas didn't try to cash in even more by re-releasing the 'untouched' Episode 4 in theaters next Friday. Was it that he didn't want to compete with PotC-3 or that he didn't want to be seen going back on his word that the 'updated' version is his complete vision. Pfft.

12. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I keep seeing this little promotional poster that's on the front door of my local post office and I'm always half tempted to take it as a penalty for raising the price of stamps, but I haven't... yet :p.

13. stiger1

stiger1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2007
    If you do do that, make sure their are no postal inspectors around or you are in deep doo doo. All that promotional stuff at the post office has to be destroyed.

14. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    My Boy scout training prevents me from stealing anything (Except the ladies hearts... Huzzah!).

I guess I could do it as a "Power to the people" "Boston tea party" kind of thing but then they'd just end up raising the price of stamps to cover the cost of losing that poster [face_mischief].

15. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    Got my set yesterday and I'm very happy with it. Now I just need to find a suitable frame.

The Yoda stamp won the poll and will be the only one featured on single stamp sheets, which are scheduled to be released in the fall.

16. DarthRusty

DarthRusty Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2005
    I was really pulling for Vader or at the very least, two dedicated sheets. Hell, with LFL on the cash hunt that they seem to be on at CIV, I would have thought for sure that they would have went with both characters if it was really that close.

Oh well, one less thing that I have to buy now.

17. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Got two sets yesterday.. veryvery happy with how these look!

18. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I was hoping Luke staring out at the twin suns would win because I feel that is THE iconic shot that sums up all of Star Wars. I'll have to wait until Tuesday to pick up a set since the Post Office will be closed Monday for Memorial Day.

19. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    these stamps are awsome. awsome artwork

20. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Picked mine up today. Now I need to go get a 8x10 frame for it.

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    A friend in the US bought two sheets for me and they came in the post yesterday. They look great! A question for the stamp collectors out there - what's the best way to store these?

22. Ekkostar

Ekkostar Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    I still need to pick up my sheet. I hope the post offices in my area still have them in stock. Ah the joys of high gas prices and being completely broke days before payday.

23. Morgan Solo

Morgan Solo Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 20, 2000
    When I got my stamps Friday morning, the clerk assured me that they had plenty in stock.

24. cronus8

Jun 29, 2002
    Yeah, I'm sure they made plenty of these since they know they will sell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.