main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

London, ON 30th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Lord_Robert, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleSabers

DaleSabers Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Yeah i can be out there in the morning. anyone get any info on what else we're doing? I know we're doing the costume contest, the lightsaber training and a raffle/auction if we get some items. What else should we do? I'm thinking that we should have a big lightsaber tournament. we can have it set in age groups like the costume contest. I'll talk to some of the businesses in my area to see if they would like to donate something for prizes.

2. Lord_Robert

Lord_Robert Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2005
    Yes that sounds good. Here's a questions for a tournament.

You have to have a set of rule to judge it by and the sooner the better.
    You will also need some extra hands to run it, can you recrute them?
    Who is judging it?
    What will the time line be?
    What are the age groups?

I think you just volunteered to organise this Brandon.
    Keep us in formed of the progress eh!
    May the force be with you.

3. lil_goddess_girl

lil_goddess_girl Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2003
    ha ha sucker

4. Darth-Influenza

Darth-Influenza Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2006
    So, like just what are you doing lil-goddess-girl?

I can smell the smoke from here but you have not come up with any thing. Are you waiting for someone to give you a job in our little project?

I may have a lead on getting a business to take care of the BBQ. If not I have a cook and the food shouldn't be to much $$$$$$$$$$$$.

We need someone to take control of the costume contest.

We need someone to take care of advertising but Branden and I have been talking about that already. We found that between us we can cover all the media and print.

There is always the janitor good job for a slave girl. Ha ha haa.

5. DaleSabers

Jun 25, 2006
    okay my tailor down the street said she'd be more then happy to judge the costume contest and my kempo teacher is able to help judge the lightsaber tournament.

6. Darth-Influenza

Sep 25, 2006
    Great!

Can you pm. me with thier names and business names too.

7. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    That's cool!

I found out today that I have the week of May 14th to 20th off, plus I'll probably have the 21 and 22 off if my schedule stays the same (it has for a year). Yay me!

Now that Granite's moved in and we're caught up on LOST, I think I'll either be home more often, or I'll have access to his laptop and reliable internet. My wireless connection here is unreliable, so I can't get online most of the time. I'm going to try harder to get online on a regular basis.

8. Darth-Influenza

Sep 25, 2006
    I looked up the forcast for that day and as usual they are calling for light rain but they always call for rain. If history serves well, it will rain at the end of the weekend.

Also the sun will rise at 5:28 am and set at 8:26 pm. So counting for people who have to go to school. They can be there from 4-8.

9. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    So what's the exact date? Maybe I missed that somewhere.

10. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    Friday May 18th.

11. DaleSabers

Jun 25, 2006
    okay guys got some good news. The owners of Heroes cards & comics, laser quest, and a couple of other stores are interested in donating an item or two and some gift certificates for our little event. We just need to write them a letter and explain what they are going to be used for.

12. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Um guys is it Friday the 18th or Saturday the 19th?

In the Toronto thread you have Friday May 19th

If it is Friday May 18th why Friday?

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

13. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    It's Friday.

and it is friday because we do not have a million dollars to spend on this.

14. DaleSabers

Jun 25, 2006
    yeah i'm thinking of the same question as well. I know if it's friday it'll be convenient for those leaving for the weekend but seriously why not saturday? we'll be able to do things more easily and not rush everything on saturday.

15. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    Well we could, but I can't.

would you like to put this to a vote again?

Personaly I would be surprised if we get more then 20 people no matter what day it is. After all we have now heard from oh let me see, oh yeah 1 member out side of London.

This is a new thing, to go public. Once again I'll stand on Friday. The reason is that if you a couple of us with master sabers in that dull morring light. The phones will start ringing. media will show up you could be on the evening news. Saterday people are leaving for the long weekend. Events on that weekend have fireworks, we don't have a permit we can't get a permit for that location. Although, if there is someone out there with the money for a new location permits and fireworks please do speak up and our problems can be solved.

16. DaleSabers

Jun 25, 2006
    okay i see your point there. I just wasn't sure due to Terry and Pat's sake. I know that Pat teaches during the week but I'm sure he'll be able to get that night off to come down.

17. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    You should find that out.

It will be easier to plan for the 4 hours that people will be there. Also it looks better if you are overwelmed with people in a shorter time then to be sparsly visited over a long time. It give the impreion of greater demand, besides things will be changing up to the last minute. I've change my costume again. Visa was nice enough to increase my credit 7 g's, so I'm going all out and getting a trooper costume. This way there will be at lest 1 trooper there.

18. DaleSabers

Jun 25, 2006
    well i contacted the 501st and we just need to fill out their event form. Rob send me the info on when the event will start and finish.

19. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    For the most part it will be from 4-8 pm.

The park in not reservable at that time so it is first one comes first one gets, that is why we are there at sun up. besides it's kind of like a line-up which is a Star Wars tradition.

here's a recap and rough schedule.

5:15 am. we meet pick up donuts coffee and so on.
    5:26 am. the sun comes up we entre the park on foot stake our claim.
    7:00-9:00 am we play and walk the strip so that we get noticed.
    9:00am-12:00pm. we pick up the things that we need and have friends drop things off to us and set everything up.
    12:00-1:00pm. lunch, we sit back have a BBQ or what ever.
    1:00-4:00pm. socialize walk around, and pull you hair out over eveything that did not work out.
    4:00-8:00pm. (Supper time?) Saber torniment and costume contest.
    8:00-8:28pm. kick everybody out and get out before we get locked in.
    8:28pm. go home unless you want to go some where else.

20. DaleSabers

Jun 25, 2006
    okay i'll forward them the information and hopefully we'll get some troopers out there with a vader. Anyone have any luck of getting hold of the rebel legion?

21. DaleSabers

Jun 25, 2006
    okay guys I've gotten ahold of the 501st and the canadian group leader is going to be sending me a message later tonight to see how many guys are available to come. Also both judges are available on the set date.

22. darthsolvo

darthsolvo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2007
    are we alowd to advertise down town with postering and such?

23. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    yes, that will be with the flyers that we will have made at the end of the month, They will also go in stores, malls, librarys and anywhere else that we can think of.

24. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    Here's an up date I'm sending to the other forms in ontario.

This being the fist time holding this event. We are sorry and know this is a work day or school day. However this is the best that we can do on our bugget. At this time members of 501st will be joining us and with sucsess this year we will do better next year.

For the die hard fans who can not get enough Star Wars and in the tradition of the line. We are gathering at 6:00 am. in SpringBank Park of west London (1085 Commissioners RD W.) This is a time for random saber duels of all kinds even Sith vs Sith or Jedi vs Jedi, anything goes. Troopers can march the roads in the park even set up post to question the morrning joggers if they have seen those two droids. I do believe that R2 D2 will be attending.

At noon we will be having lunch and resting up for the main events.

The main events will start at 4:00pm.
    Both events are broken into age groups.
    children to 12 years old.
    13 to 18 years old.
    19 to 29 years old.
    30+ the pre-Star Wars fans who started it all.

There are prizes for each age group. Prizes are from local business even some signed work from Dark Horse comic books.

First is the costume contest: contestants need to register between 4:00 and 7:00 pm. Our guest judge is Terry Brown of Notches, winners will be anounced by 8:00pm.

Second is the Saber tornament: A rules and release form must sign to participate. Our guest judge will be Pat a Kempo instructor from Phonix Fighting.

25. DaleSabers

Jun 25, 2006
    I'm going to ask Brian Ching (the artist of the KOTOR comics) and see if he'd be interested in donating something as well. Even if he'd give a signed issue will be great to give away as a prize.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.