London, ON 30th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Lord_Robert, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Robert Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Just to let everyone know that I placed an ad on LondonClasified.ca and it has had 23 hits on the first day.
  2. DaleSabers Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Okay guys I've posted up on Dark Horse forums and we got over 65 hits right now.
  3. darthsolvo Jedi Youngling

star 1
  4. Lord_Robert Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Ok, I made some sabers for the torniment and to be on the safe side they had to be tested. They are cheap sabers with the flip out part replaced with a PVC pipe covered with foam and wraped in tape. So Kay, Bandon, Andrew and I went all out to test them. To a long story short, Kay broke a finger, Andrew got a bruise on his arm and Brandon can now sing saprano after 2 knock down hits to the groin, one from Kay and one from Andrew.

So now that we have those problems solved we are good to go.
  5. DaleSabers Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Hey I can't sing saprano all the time. It was only when Kay and Andrew hit me in the nuts. I'm still gonna get you two back!
  6. Lord_Robert Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Oh yeah, I have the second hit from Andrew on video if anyone wants to see it.
  7. DaleSabers Jedi Youngling

star 3
    You put that video up and I'll hunt you down and burn you alive! The only way people will view that scene is when we put it on cd and give it to people.
  8. Lord_Robert Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Good news!

I went to Rogers television and here is the coverage that they will give us.

-Drew Skitt of London Calling, will come out to cover the event.

-Andy Flemming of First Local, will come out to cover the event.

-Marilyn Buggy of daytime, will have us in as guests on the show in May.
  9. DaleSabers Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Thats awesome. I talked to heroes and Braham (the owner) says we can pick up things from him late april (so third week of april). I'll talk to the other businesses that we've talked to to see if they have anything for us.
  10. djbordie Jedi Youngling

ok so what are the general tourney rules?
    what are your training backgrounds?
    any fellow kendo/iado people here?

-dave
  11. DaleSabers Jedi Youngling

star 3
    The tournament rules are:
    1. No head shots! Head shots will automatically result in loss.
    2. No flailing
    3. No cheap shots (ie hitting the groin)

Those are the rules I've come up with for this tournament. Robert add any other rules you see fit.
  12. djbordie Jedi Youngling

ya ok i get it, so at least were hitting each other...
    but also, how do you score?
    like points in kendo or what if i hit your saber holding arm...? are you forced to use the other arm?
    what if i hit your legs? do you have to fight on you knees lol...naw j/k you know what i mean...
    How do you win?
  13. DaleSabers Jedi Youngling

star 3
    You win by points. You opponents arms and legs are 1 point and the chest is 2 points. There will be a judge watching every individual match to ensure saftey and making sure that no one cheats.

You lose the arm and legs if you're hit there. For example if you're hit in the leg you must stand on one leg and fight. If you lose an arm you must put it behind your back and fight with the other. You must have a total of 3 points to win the match. You have a maximum of 3 minutes to defeat your opponent.

If you are caught cheating by breaking any of these rules you are disqualified. There are no such things as accidents so don't even say it was. There will be no way to see if it was an accident so we're just not going to let anything slide.
  14. Lord_Robert Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Yeah that's about it brandon.

3 minutes to a match
    The body is sudden death.
    each lim is 1 point.

If no one dies after 3 minutes the highes points wins.

You are disqualified for:
    -head shots
    -flailing
    -No cheap shots (ie hitting the groin)
    -causing injury

As Obi-one said 'Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. More skill than simple sight was required for its use. An elegant weapon'.SW page 79.

There will be one Kempo instructer to judge, maybe more from fencing too.
  15. Lord_Robert Jedi Padawan

star 4
    By the way djbordie

Are you from london?
    If so welcome.
  16. djbordie Jedi Youngling

naw im from toronto, but the guys in the toronto chapter dont do many events, they said its real dead lately...
    so hope im still welcome, although london is mad far isnt it?
    cool cool for the events, its similar to kendo and i ilike the realism of the limbs and such, so this should be fun
  17. DaleSabers Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yeah it's like 2 hours away but if you take via rail to london I'm sure that one of us will meet you at the station. Like If you get into London around 10 am I'll be in the area heading back to the park from school. So take the via Rail stay at the station until one of us meets you there. I seriously have no problems meeting you and taking you over to the park since we'll be taking the bus to get over there again. Just be sure to bring your own bus fare for the trip.
  18. Lord_Robert Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well everyone is always welcome here.

Here is some of the thing we are working on be sides the 30th party.
    We meet at lest once a month on a Sunday.
    We are planning a night out at laser Quest in June.
    We are planning in June to atending the new Harry Potter movie is costume or as close to a Harry Potter costume as one can get.
    We are setting up a saber training class as well.
  19. DaleSabers Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Hey who said anything about dressing up for the harry potter movie? Also I have some news about the saber class. The spirit martial arts is willing to put us up but I want to head down there first to see the area. He said the ceiling is low but I want to see if for myself.
  20. Lord_Robert Jedi Padawan

star 4
    That's great!

Also we talked about Harry Potter movie 3 weeks ago. You just to much to worry about. We should see if we can have a close thread for events.
  21. DaleSabers Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Hey my stepfather friend said he'll set us up with the director of the space channel to send someone down to the event. But if we want to grab his attention we should send him a saber that says "From the geeks by the creeks". Also we should have some flyers that say come to the park side.
  22. Lord_Robert Jedi Padawan

star 4
    geeks by the creeks!

Where did that come from?

Any how, as the emperor said 'do what must be done'.
    so let me know if you need a hand or anything.
  23. DaleSabers Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Okay but I'm not going to pay for the full price of a obi wan saber. I can get a discount on one and pay for part of it but I can't pay for the full thing right now. So if we pitch in we can go buy one give it to my stepfathers friend who will give it to the marketting director of Chum (who owns the space channel). We'll attach a note or a card to it saying who we are and what we are doing. This will get his attention greatly and more then likely send someone out to cover our event. Also my broadcasting class is heading up to the chum station wednesday so if I see him I'll talk to him about it and hopefully convince him to send someone down.
  24. Lord_Robert Jedi Padawan

star 4
    That's a whole lot of if's.Then we come back to that same question who can pitch in cash.

It's good info and it is how things get done in the world of TV. Aside from cost how long will it take to make and send the saber because time is running out for that kind of thing?
  25. Rabellaka Jedi Padawan

star 4
    That would be amazing if we could get Space to cover this! If you are going to tour the CHUM building, is that the same as the City TV one? Will you be anywhere near Speaker's Corner? (I think it costs money in TO).

Also, I just happen to have a Harry Potter inspired costume... I'd love to see the movie in costume!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.