main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[360 woes] Aragorn's broken xbox vote.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Aragorn327, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    My trusty 2.something year old xbox went quietly into the night when I got home yesterday with an e 73 error. Hard drive seems fine, so I have a few options:

1) Attempt some crazy self repair that seems to involve overheating it which magically might make things work?

2) Send it to MS to get it fixed for $140. Won't be back in time for Mass Effect 2.

3) Buy new 360 Arcade for $200, put old working HD in it. Proceed as normal.

4) Buy new 360 Elite for $300. Figure out way to transfer saved games over? Unsure if worth extra money.

5) Other.

Help me Games Forum. Go!

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    When my last refurbished console died on me (fourth or fifth, can't remember now) I figured I'd spend nearly the same amount of $$$ sending it stateside to be "repaired" (i.e., get another refurbished console) than to purchase a spanking new Arcade console that would probably not break down on me in 4-6 months time. So here' my advice to you: if you want your 360 and ME2 bad enough, just throw the old one on the nearest recycling bin and get yourself an Arcade ed. Look at it this way, you're also getting a bit of additional storage plus an extra controller.

3. sith_hunter117

sith_hunter117 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2008

4. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    This is what I'm leaning towards.

5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    And yeah, whatever you do, do not put your new console standing up; lay it on its side. It'll be much more ventilated that way and will (hopefully) last you longer. I think all of my previous consoles died because of their being in the advertised upright position all the time, seriously cutting their airflow and increasing the chances of overheating RRODness.

6. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    This is what I did when I got the e74 error. That way, when you get the old one fixed you'll have a backup box. Or just give it/sell it to someone.

7. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    It took me forever to get back my HD and power supply when I sent it in with my RROD 360.

So don't do that.

8. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    We have similar problems (won't read any discs)

So if we buy an arcade and use the Elite's hard drive...we essentially have an Xbox Elite again?

If so, we'll probably do that rather than sending it in. Then when I have the inclination I'll try the crazy self repair route on the broken one, with nothing to loose.

9. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    That one.

One thing, and this isn't that big of a deal but I figure I should mention it anyway, the power cord from the Elite/Pro will not fit into the Arcade model. My friend bought an Arcade model and tried to hook it up to his old power cord and the thing would not go in. I tried to hook up my Pro console to the power cord that came with his Arcade model, and same problem. Again, not a big deal, but worth a mention.

10. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    Back up and running with a new arcade. Thanks all.

11. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
  12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anHkwBYH-bY

13. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Let me get this straight:

1) Xbox broken, too expensive and takes to long to get officially repaired.
    2) Spend an extra $50 for an arcade, use your parts from your old one and..yay, new xbox with no waiting
    3) Still have broken Xbox, open it up and try to fix it since there is nothing to loose.

Now why wouldn't you do this:

1) Xbox broken, make decision "hell if worse comes to worse I'll just buy an arcade". -$200
    2) Try to fix xbox
    2.a) Fail. Buy an arcade. no loss, decided that the loss was worth it previously anyways
    2.b) Succeed! Save $200.

14. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Agreed! What he said!

15. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    I'm not particularly hardware savvy. I figured out what caused the general problem (screwy electical wiring in the room it was plugged in to at the time, rather than going through my usual surge protector when it's in my room,) but not specifically what is broken within the xbox.

16. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Maybe it needs some liquid cooling, try dumping water on it.

17. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    And get a free lighshow when it makes sparkies. ;)

What I did was buy a refurbished X-360 that came with a port to add external memory for game game data. The refurbished eventually died with the RROD, but I removed the external memory thingie, and if I get another X-360, I can just snap this onto the new one, without having to do any surgery. The game data is all there and waiting.

18. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Yay Aragorn!

19. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    [image=http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/MedievalSam/lotr/aragorn.gif]

20. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Haha nice gif.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.