main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT 38th Anniversary of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Force Smuggler, May 25, 2015.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    38 years ago today, Star Wars was released. And the world was never the same. When did you first see it? What was your favorite memory of it? Best part of the movie? Etc. Discuss.
    I saw it sometime in the mid-90's when Dad bought the OT Boxset at a garage sale. Too many fun memories to list.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was 5 when it came out, and we were living in Virginia at the time, but I honestly don't remember the specifics of my first viewing. I just remember being really impressed by Leia and wanting to be her, and I did co-opt her hairstyles and had a costume that I used for dress-up play. And I was introduced to the R2 and 3PO action figures by a neighbor who lived one floor below me in the condo.

JEDI-RISING and Ord-Mantell70 like this.
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I honestly don't remember very likely between 8-9 when I saw the VHS. Believe it or not it wasn't Sir that made the first lasting impression, but Garrick. Had a crush on Biggs. Thought he was dashing. :)

Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i was born in 77 and i have no memory of life before sw. my mother was pregnant with me when she saw the original, took me to esb as a 2-3 year old (which i don't remember) and i grew up watching the re-releases and playing with the toys. another big thing was going to sleep to the old sw film records on the record player. the little color picture book came with a little record that you listened to and read along.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is the stuff of life.

5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Don't remember the first time I saw "Star Wars" but it was in the early 80's when I was very young.....before ROTJ came out. One thing that always stood out for me as a kid was the Cantina scene, because everyone used to joke that it was based off of the bar/restaurant my parents owned.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  6. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    I can't remember specifically when I first watched it but it was before the special editions, as I have a distinct memory of becoming very excited at the prospect of more Star Wars films in the cinema and my uncle telling me that it was the same films that they were re-releasing.

(I was born in 1990)

Best part of the movie is and always will be the Battle of Yavin - that was cooler than Han Solo, cooler than Jedi, cooler than laser swords and cooler than Darth Vader put together.

7. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
  8. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    I was 6 when I went to see it with my parents at the theater in the fall of 1977 (France). Don't remember much about my reaction to the movie back then, apart that it didn't attract me that much.

Otherwise, I clearly recall that the line was huge, that the film had already begun when we finally got in (the droids walking/talking in the star cruiser), and that I was separated from my parents for the whole show, as there were only some seats here and there remaining ! Wasn't that happy...

I resaw the movie 2 times after ESB came out, and was of course more hooked on, as Empire really had a strong impact.

Best part of the movie : the tatooine scenes (homestead, Obi-Wan) and the space battle at the end.

9. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I just recently watched the film after a long time. I noticed two things. One, Luke's reason for joining the Rebellion and accepting Jedi training seemed to be a bit too emotional for such a serious decision. I realize that he had just found his uncle and aunt's bodies. But he was a bit too emotional in his decision. Wasn't Obi-Wan worried? I also noticed that both Han and Greedo (I watched the SE version) shot at the same time.

10. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I saw Star Wars: A New Hope in 2004, though I can't remember what time of year it was. My parents got the VHS of the film at a local library, and watched a star wars film once a evening starting with ANH. I remember my thoughts when the stormtroopers and Darth Vader appeared: that is cool, awesome, and spectacular! Since then I've been a huge star wars fan, and gotta give ANH credit for that.

11. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i saw it when it came out. i think it's the second movie i have a memory of seeing in a theater

Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I saw it some time during the summer of 1977. I still remember the theatre curtain being sparkly gold like the "robot in the movie" as I said to my mom.

My favorite scenes from the original film remain the death star trench run. I revert back to the mind blown little girl who always wanted to fly with Luke and R2 whenever I rewatch. It's a fun feeling to be so transported.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  13. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    So do I.

Same generation...

JEDI-RISING likes this.