main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

3d into footage

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by 1337mik3, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1337mik3

1337mik3 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    Alrighty, i got my model animated and set how i like, now all i need to do is put it on my footage? how do i set background transparancy for avi files so i can put it over my footage?

2. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    When you export your animation make the backdrop either croma blue or green (or any solid color that doesn't appear in your footage). Using something like Premeire or AE import your animated footage and composite.

3. 1337mik3

1337mik3 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    Ok, thats what i used to do, i wasnt sure if it was "the way" to do it..

4. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Well the best thing to use is alpha channels. I use alpha channels and it works great.

5. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    As ObiJuan mentioned, use alpha channels. It's not the best way but basically the only way (besides z-depth maps that can help). Aboslutely never, ever use a solid color background to "key out". Not only will the results will be inferiror but defeats the whole purpose of correclty compositing with alpha channels.

Second don't ernder to AVI (they don't have alpha channels). Render to frames with an image file format that preserves the alpha chanel, like TGA or TIFF (never use JPEGs) or render the image to a format you like and render the alpha channels separately.

6. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    I personally prefer rendering to a TGA sequence. Most video editing can recognize the TGA files as a full movie sequence, and if your computer crashes while rendering, you can start the render from the last frame you did, instead of starting all over again.

And TGA does allow for Alpha Channels.

7. crazycat

crazycat Jedi Youngling

Dec 6, 2004
    how do you do an alpha channel? do you know any tutorials to help me do that. i've been using the chroma key method and i get green around the edges. will alpha channeling fix that?

8. diabloblanco17

diabloblanco17 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    Yes, it will. All you need to do is render your video as a series of alpha channel-compatible image files, like .tga. IIRC, .tif and .png work too.

9. thegreatgary123

thegreatgary123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2004
    Ok mate this is what i do

im not saying its the best way but its as good way

save your movie as a "mov" file and when it asks for the video encoder select animation render it plunk it into adobe after effects

10. dwinter

dwinter Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2004
    You can use any file format as long as it allows 32 bit images in the video. 8 for each of the three RGB channels and 8 for the alpha channel.

Most compressed formats do not allow for this. The two best options are uncompressed .avi and .mov with the animation codec.

Depending on what software you are using, usually you are able to select a format (which is just the file extension or shell that will carry the info) then in an options or codec/compressor menu select what compressor will be used to store the info. If you selct .mov choose animation (there may be more options that support 32 bits but I don't know of them) if you use .avi choose to have no compression or uncompressed. I've found no difference between the two really, just depends on what software I'm using and the platform and delivery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.