main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

3d moving objects?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by RobFire, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobFire

RobFire Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2002
    Hey there starwars fans!

Me and my friend are making our first starwars movie, and my question is if there is any easy way to add 3d moving objects to our movie like an aircraft, building or any kind of structure. I've heard alot about 3d studio max but is there another way except using 3d max (we don't own that much money so that we can buy it).
    So if anyone has got an idea or a link to a website, tutorialpage or something like that I would be very grateful.

2. Jrr_Dude

Jrr_Dude Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    Yeah id like to know too

3. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    Theres Blender, a soon-to-be totally open source 3D software. Thats a nice program to start off with. I dunno the link where you can download it... Can anyone tell this guy where to get it? I mean, he didnt ask for warez or anything, and thats a good start :)

Carl

4. JediFilmaker

JediFilmaker Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2002
    what do people have against warez? sure its illegal....but if people do it and you aren't effected then why not?

I suggest you go to blenderwars.com they have blender there, plus lots of other free (legally free) programs that can help you.

5. Lunatic_Pandora1

Lunatic_Pandora1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2002
    go to www.blenderwars.com they have it there for download....as well as many tutorials including one on how to add models to a scene i beleive.

6. Kol_Niko

Kol_Niko Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2001
    Try www.openfx.org, it was free the last time I checked. It uses all the same .3ds files that they can use in max. It's not the most powerful program but it can get you started. We used it and blender to do all our space scenes, flying obects, etc for TRB.

Jeff

7. CarlCampbell

Jul 28, 2002
    "what do people have against warez? sure its illegal....but if people do it and you aren't effected then why not?"

Well other than that being a stupid statement it'd be selfish to think so. Sure it doesnt affect US but it effects the software companies. People that feed their families thanks to their programming skills are being cheated on and the companies aren't getting the revenue they should.
    Like someone wisely mentioned: "Don't go whining later on if the software companies close down." Warez are illegal, and illegal is bad, period. Now run along, I'd hate it if this guy's thread was locked for something as trivial as THIS senseless debate again... [face_plain]

Carl

8. JediFilmaker

Aug 25, 2002
    okay, i'm sorry....

9. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    I've said it before and i'll say it again.

We don't promote warez here because (beleive it or not) some industry people have been known to lurk the boards.

Now how would it look if some exec from Adobe comes here and finds all of us trading warez links? Not only would the board loose tons of respect, but it would probably mean legal action in some way, shape, or form...

Also, this board helps people get started on being ametuer film makers... and I don't think stealing is a very good way to start.

"I want to make a fanfilm... what do I do?"
    "Well... you could start by going to ______ and downloading these programs: ___ ____ ___"

As for blender:

www.blenderwars.com

Cya
    Mike

PS: This was not IN ANY WAY aimed toward the original poster of this thread. While I beleive the question can be found in a plethora (yes, that's right: plethora) of other places on the site, forum or stickies, this was aimed at the comment eariler. (even though it was retracted... I felt some actual REASONS were needed, or else aint no one going to catch on ;))

10. JediFilmaker

Aug 25, 2002
    your right your right...i'm sorry i'm sorry.....lets drop it and get back onto subject.......

Rob fire...www.blenderwars.com is your best bet. but i looked at the link above for Open Fx and that looks pretty good. before going to lightwave i used blender and found it sort of difficult to get objects onto film but eventually did it...with lightwave i did it right away. blender's models are also very limited...it was said earlier that openfx can use 3d studio's models....GO FOR IT....you can find those models just about everywhere!! wish they had that many lightwave models...hmm

11. spottcat211

spottcat211 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2002
    Might I remind all of you that even fan films are ILLEGAL, so please don't try to stand it up as high moral ground that you don't support warez. Yes, George doesn't go after you, but remember few people go after warez users either... Just my .02 cents... ;) Anyway back on topic.

12. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    There is a difference in MAKING something and STEALING something, imho.

Cya
    Mike

PS: and the expresion is "on high moral ground"... on "as high moral ground".

PSS: Sorry for OTing the topic, mods, unless you feel he's gotten the info he needs, don't lock it, for the poster's sake.

(then again, this kind of thread can be answered in the faqs and stickies... so, do what you wish... as if I have any say in it in the first place :p)

13. QuanarReg

QuanarReg Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2002
    I know this is swaying from the main topic...but I was wondering, how can TFN Fan Films know if someone is using warez programs. I mean, I know they are against it, but couldn't people be using warez and just not saying anything. (I am not too knowledgable about things like this).

14. Lunatic_Pandora1

Lunatic_Pandora1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2002
    "It uses all the same .3ds files that they can use in max"

How do you open .3ds files in OpenFX? I tried to open, and it wouldnt show .3ds file types.

15. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Drop the stupid discussion about warez!!! if you want to argue and cry about warez do it in a proper thread!

To answere the question, i honostly don't know of any cheap alternatives to good 3d graphics. i think its something that we have to live with. but as usual, im wrong

16. CarlCampbell

Jul 28, 2002
    Truespace is a pretty good 'n' cheap 3D package. There is also Amapi 3D, which is available for Mac too. I suggest you take a look at some issues of "3D World" magazine. Every other month there is some sort of full working software for free. Ok, it usually isnt the latest version, but hey, it works and thats why they're giving it for free. No wonder almost every single past issue is out of stock ;)

Carl

17. RobFire

RobFire Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2002
    Thank you guys for all the tips!!, even though that the discussion was alot about warez.
    I have tried the openfx and it can handle 3d max objects so it seems to be pretty good. I will also try the other programs you guys tipped me about, so thanks again, this will surely help me with my project as soon as I learn to use the programs.

18. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    Carl, thanks for the tip about 3d world magazine. I just placed a subscription order online. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.