main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

3d problems

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by IceEagle, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceEagle

IceEagle Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    hey guys,
    i just got some questions of 3ds max:
    1. I am busy making my own "space station" in 3ds max and i have lights placed on it, but when i put multiple stations in one scene, the lights also effect the other spacestations, and the background (wich is the inside of a sphere. is there a way to solve this

1.[image=http://www.icenet.nl/images/stations.jpg]
    the lights effect eechother and the background
    2.[image=http://www.icenet.nl/images/stations2.jpg]
    the lights effect all the stations while using the enviroment menu.

i can use the enviroment menu, but then there is no motion blur so i rather use a sphere

2. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    Select your lights, and in the modify tab "exclude" the background environment sphere from the lights.

Edit: Additionally, you can try to make a motion blur in the environment by clicking on the environment map button and dragging it to one of the material editor slots as an instance. That way you can adjust it's properties there with motion blur, perhaps.

3. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    Did that help?

edit: Also, if you do the first think, be sure to kick up the self illumination of the starfield to 100, otherwise it really will be just black.

4. Darksteps

Darksteps Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    get rid of the sphere as the background... go to the environment menu and place a NOISE texture in the background channel, then as he said drag it to one of the material slots and INSTANCE it... now look where it says HIGH 1.0 and LOW 0.0 and set that to HIGH .7 and LOW .6, now set the SIZE to .3 and FRACTAL or TURBULENCE... this will give you a starfield that will act as an environment map and will move appropriately as the camera does... just enable the motion blur in the RENDER MENU to allow background to blur...

open the OUTPUT panel for that material and set the OUTPUT AMOUNT to 1.2 and RGB LEVEL to 2.0 which will help to filter out some darker stars... if the stars blur too much or disappear in the blur, then increase the OUTPUT AMOUNT and increase the SIZE to no higher than .5...

if you know anything about the MIX material you can also make a pretty sweet nebula in front of the stars... one that looks very good and will also match the camera movement... but you have to play with it alot to get exactly the results you're looking for... but that's the fun part...

;)
    Darksteps...

5. Only-One-Tea-Cozy

Only-One-Tea-Cozy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    Awesome darksteps, no more massive spheres for me! :) thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.