main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

3D rendering for a newbie

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by TimmerWeb, May 6, 2017.

1. TimmerWeb

TimmerWeb Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2016
    Hi there. I'd like to be able to take advantage of some of the myriad Star Wars 3D model files out there on the Internet for a photography project I'm working on. Simple rendering software that is either free or cheap for MacOS (or even iOS) is what I'm looking for. As long as I can position the camera and light sources on existing models that I've downloaded and render an image at a reasonable quality, that will suit me just fine. I'm not looking to draw any of my own elements.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-Tim

2. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Unreal 4. It's free and offer real time lighting and scene creation. I'm not sure if this is what you want though because it is supposed to be for games.

Photoshop I think has a 3d Mode but that's expensive.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Blender is free. Not sure how good it is though.

4. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Several free programs are available now. If you're in school ( high school or college ) autodesk offers Maya and 3dmax for free if you set up an account on their website with a school email address.

Houdini, one of the most advanced 3D effects tools available is offered in a free Aprentice version at Sidefx software.

TheFoundry offers a Non-Commercial version of Nuke and blackmagic design offers a version of Fusion for free. These have more limited 3D abilities compared to the ones listed above, but are professional 3D compositing effects tools.

Hope this helps.
    Have fun.