Art Archive 3D software

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by moosemousse, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South

star 6
    Does anyone know of any good (and free) 3D art software? I mostly want to do figure work, nothing animated. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. :)
  2. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Moosemousse - have you checked out the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_films_fan_audio_scifi_3d_forum/b10015/p1]Fan Film[/link] forum? I know it includes 3D.
  3. moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South

star 6
    I've just looked. It wasn't easy but I finally found what I was looking for, though the link was broken.

I'm going to try out Blender.

Edit: I've just tried it out and I have no idea what I'm doing.
  4. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    There's a link at the top of the forum for tutorials - maybe there's one for Blender? Alternatively you could probably find a beginner's guide through Google.
  5. ThrawnRocks Jedi Master

star 6
    From what I understand Blender is very powerful if you know how to use it, but it's difficult to pick up.

I'd suggest [link=http://www.wings3d.com/]Wings 3D[/link]. It is really easy to pick up an play around with, and I've seen some very nice stuff come out of it.
  6. moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South

star 6
    Yeah, I don't think Blender is at all what I want. I did find a program called DAZ|Studio though, it seems to be good. I've put some test renders in my art thread.
  7. Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Blender is a complicated and powerful program- if you're serious about learning 3D, I highly recommend it. It will take a lot more time and effort, but in general I think it's worth it. Its much more expensive analog is Maya, which is pretty much the be-all and end-all of high end graphics software.

I'm not familiar with DAZ|Studio, though I do know of the programs it plays nicely with. Decent beginner tools, and if all you want to do is mess around with figures then it'll do you well. :) But Blender still has my professional thumbs up.
  8. moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South

star 6
    Yeah, mostly I do just want to mess around with figures for now. I don't think I have a big enough screen to do what I really want though. When I get some time and I know what I'm doing I'll probably look into doing some stuff in Blender.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.