main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive 3D software

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by moosemousse, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Does anyone know of any good (and free) 3D art software? I mostly want to do figure work, nothing animated. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. :)

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Moosemousse - have you checked out the Fan Film forum? I know it includes 3D.

3. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I've just looked. It wasn't easy but I finally found what I was looking for, though the link was broken.

I'm going to try out Blender.

Edit: I've just tried it out and I have no idea what I'm doing.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There's a link at the top of the forum for tutorials - maybe there's one for Blender? Alternatively you could probably find a beginner's guide through Google.

5. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    From what I understand Blender is very powerful if you know how to use it, but it's difficult to pick up.

I'd suggest Wings 3D. It is really easy to pick up an play around with, and I've seen some very nice stuff come out of it.

6. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Yeah, I don't think Blender is at all what I want. I did find a program called DAZ|Studio though, it seems to be good. I've put some test renders in my art thread.

7. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Blender is a complicated and powerful program- if you're serious about learning 3D, I highly recommend it. It will take a lot more time and effort, but in general I think it's worth it. Its much more expensive analog is Maya, which is pretty much the be-all and end-all of high end graphics software.

I'm not familiar with DAZ|Studio, though I do know of the programs it plays nicely with. Decent beginner tools, and if all you want to do is mess around with figures then it'll do you well. :) But Blender still has my professional thumbs up.

8. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Yeah, mostly I do just want to mess around with figures for now. I don't think I have a big enough screen to do what I really want though. When I get some time and I know what I'm doing I'll probably look into doing some stuff in Blender.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.