main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

3ds doesnt recognize 3ds files

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Red-2, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    I just opened 3ds max 7 and tried to import some of the models that you guys have made. And they wouldnt open. They didnt even show up in the folder, even tho it was specified looking for .max* I went to the folder, and these files do have .3ds file extensions. if its 3ds max 7, shouldnt it import 3ds max files??? what are max files?
    why?

2. wildcat69410

wildcat69410 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2004
    The files are there, you just aren't importing them the right way. To get 3ds files in, you have to use the "Import" option on the File menu rather than the "Open" option.

Max files, since u didn't know, are the scene files. They don't only contain the models, but they contain all of the materials along with the lighting, particle, HDRI, and many other variable settings in Max with them. A 3ds file is just the model, along with some basic textures. If you can, always ALWAYS try to use a .max file before you use a 3ds file. It provides better quality because . max files don't triangulate the mesh.

If u didnt understand that, u can PM me for a better explanation, I'm tired now so I might be typing stupid.

lol
    Wildcat69410

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.