main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

3DS Max, Maya, or Lightwave?

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Jedi-Jonathan, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Jonathan

Jedi-Jonathan Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2005
    Which software is better? 3DS Max, Maya, or Lightwave? Or is there even better software out there?

I want to be able to create some Star Wars fan films using one of these programs. I don't like programs that are more complicated than they need to be for the simple stuff. I have run across countless video editing programs that were really more complicated to do very simple tasks. It's not that I don't like complex things, but, the difficulty should be worth the results. I finally purchased a powerful video editing program, but it also simple for simple tasks. I like it a lot.

So back to the 3D software...for my first practice runs with whatever software I buy, I'd like to use sci-fi 3D's pre-made Star Wars models and environments. I'm really looking for a program that does animation easily. I want to be able to control my characters and camera to do fluid movements while not doing more work than I really need to on animation.

Price isn't really an issue, as I see this as an advancement into a better career maybe in 3D movies.

Thanks for your help,
    Jonathan

2. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    US e Cnavas, it is real easy to use.

3. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Well each application has it's strengths and weaknesses, plus most people find it easier to work in one package over the other depending on their style. Your best bet to start is probably going to be getting some demos and testing the features of each one to see what you like/dislike before spending any money.

No matter what software you use animation is not an easy task and requires lots of work and practice to achieve good results. However, working hard on something and getting a nice return is one of the best feelings there is. ;)

Hope that helps!

4. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    I vote 3ds Max--but you should probably check all of the other 1,000,000 threads about the same thing before you make your decision---in other words--why is this thread in existance?

5. Andrew_March1969

Andrew_March1969 Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2004
    These type of questions are totally useless, every hi end 3D package has it's pro's and con's and 99% have demos availabe.

Get hold of the demos and see which one you like NOT which one everyone else likes.

6. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    If you are new, Canvas is very user friendly, and a bit more "hands on" which I cannot really explain, but once you use it, you will understand. Plus it can import many, many file types.

7. gjivan72

gjivan72 Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2003
    err so what are the pros about 3ds max for animation or fan filming cuz thast what i want to do too? I know maya is move for advance so could some one be a little more enlighting instead of bashing evereyone who posts?

Thanks

8. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    HowardFilms posted on 5/29/05 9:17am
    If you are new, Canvas is very user friendly, and a bit more "hands on" which I cannot really explain, but once you use it, you will understand. Plus it can import many, many file types.
    [hr][/blockquote]
    You have yet to show us any examples of what this program is capable of.

9. Andrew_March1969

Mar 7, 2004
    Well I'm a Lightwave user, so I'd say there are no pro's with Max, it has a clunky user interface and poorly designed animation tools.

See I've just demonstrated my point.

Download the demos or contact a reseller for a demo, try it yourself. Don't listen to what people tell you about a programme it's what YOU like that counts NOT what someone else likes.

10. Andrew_March1969

Mar 7, 2004
    Mike,

I think he's talking about this programme http://www.amabilis.com/gallery.htm (I hope I'm wrong cause Truespace 3.2 can do better than that).

11. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    We don't do threads like this here. It's a silly question to ask. And it's been done a 1000 times. Read professional reviews from magazines and online articles if you want an opinion. Otherwise it's like asking what is better,,, Coke or Pepsi. If you guys didn't spend so much time responding I would have just removed the thread so I'll just close it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.