main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[3NS] The Future of it.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth-Seldon, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    It is clear that within the coming weeks, 3NS will become inactive and the posters will go elseware. I find this to be tragic for many reasons.

Revenge of the Sith (non spoilers) is more than a forum dedicated to staying spoiler free. In the last few months, it has become a true community. The population of it is comprised of dedicated, thoughtful, and amusing posters. The way this forum is should be something that other forums should strive for. It truly is a success. Few other forums have as little problems, and as many in-depth discussions.

To end the forum, would be an attempt to destroy all that has been built. The two hard working moderators, the many great posters will have to go off into other movie forums, and it just doesn't seem right.

I know this has been discussed by MS, but I wanted to state opinions and hopefully a few others can add to them.

3NS is one of the best run, best organized and one of the best sources for good posting. It is truly sad that such a developed place would just be scraped.

I understand the counter argument. That those intelligent posters can populate the prequel trilogy forum and add and develop that place as well as others. That there is no need for a forum dedicated to non spoilers when everyone is spoiled.

They are reasonable points.
    Yet it doesn't change the fact that one of the best developed forums will be left in ruin.

Thank You,
    -Seldon

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    From what I gathered, it was moved into the "inactive forum" category without the authorization or knowledge of its moderators.

3. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I don't think it would ever be scrapped. It would be an Inactive Forum.

4. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    What is an Inactive Forum, by definition of these boards? I take it that it is a forum in which old posts can be read but no new discussion can be added because everything is locked up.

5. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    That's it.

EDIT: I moved it this morning because I had gotten the dates mixed up for when this would occur. I thought it was today when the spoiler policy was lifted. It was an honest mistake causing no harm as with one click it's instantly moved back.

6. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    Yeah, I think the correct date is some time in June.

Anyway, I agree with what Seldon said and I think it'd be an unfortunate loss to see it become Inactive.

7. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    It will eventually be that way just like all the other previous non-spoiled forums. Otherwise it would be duplicates.

8. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Glad to hear that, Sape :).

I know I was just surprised to see Garth's reaction to the move.

Edit: I think any confusion might be caused by "inactive forum" still appearing on people's favorite board list, even though it doesn't seem to be located there anymore.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    EDIT: I moved it this morning because I had gotten the dates mixed up for when this would occur. I thought it was today when the spoiler policy was lifted. It was an honest mistake causing no harm as with one click it's instantly moved back.

Well, TODAY is the date when the spoiler restrictions are lifted, so you shouldn't have been surprised by it... ;)

10. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I thought it was today and when he told me I remembered. If it hasn't been fixed yet, I will take care of it myself. I apologize for any confusion this caused the 3NS mods and users of that forum.

11. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    It looks like it has been fixed, and yet it still shows up with an "inactive forum" label on the favorite board list. Odd.

12. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I'll take care of it momentarily.

EDIT: Give it a few minutes. I've moved the 3NS to Star Wars Films. Because the 3NS mods had it set up as a private forum, I left it that way. So off the main board you won't see the 3NS, but it's definitely under SW Films. For those users who have been granted access there, let me know if you're able to post again.

13. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    So you're really going to close it down and have us just relocate discussion to the PT forum and lose the community that has developed in 3NS?

http://boards.theforce.net/Prequel_Trilogy/b10669/16979538/p6/?294

Yeah I can't wait to be involved in a thread like that. :)

Edit: Yes I can post in 3NS, Sape.

14. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Actually, what will happen is the 3NS will become inactive in mid-June. RotS discussion will go into one forum. This will be the place for dedicated Episode III discussion until some yet-to-be-determined time after the release of the DVD. Then the RotS Forum will be declared inactive and Episodes 1-3 will go into the Prequel Trilogy Forum just as Episodes 4-6 are in the Classic Trilogy Forum.

15. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes what Sape said.

16. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    It just seems unfortunate that one of the best developed boards will be closed down for such reasons. The point is that it is a clearly defined community, a triumph of the JC, and something other forums should be striving for. To push it into inactivity just seems like a terrible injustice to both the moderators and all those who invested into this community.

It is more than a movie forum, it is a community dedicated to in-depth discussion.

Sape, no worries...honest mistake.

-Seldon

17. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    Okay Sape but that still doesn't change the fact that you're breaking down the community and in a way destroying it. It'll be pretty hacked up after going through two merges, it makes me wonder if it'll still exist. My gut says no.

Note that I mean the NS Community as it is right now. It won't be carried over into the new forums.

I don't recall any of the Admins being active participants of the Community, which is why I'm not surprised to see a lack of sympathy for preserving it. I'm not trying to make you look like "bad guys", but I think you missed what we're talking about, and maybe if you had experienced it, you would be more keen on keeping it around.

18. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    It won't be carried over. Some may remain, but the community itself will be destroyed.

My feeling is this, it is a private forum. If it is working, users are happy and it isn't a problem--then why not continue? For what reason would it be destroyed? Not really destroyed but pushed into inactivity, which is just about destruction.

-Seldon

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'd like to point out that this ISN'T a new development and had been announced months ago, as I recall.

20. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I understand it has been announced.
    I'm asking why? If that can't be answered then perhaps this should be considered. To leave the forum, as a private community.

-Seldon

21. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    I think waiting until now was better. Arguing for it before may have resulted in a "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it" response. With the closing of the forum less than a month away, its time to cross the bridge. Its much more relevant to discuss it now.

22. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    We could have discussed this before, and I'm sure that some did.
    The fact is that we are discussing it now. There is still a month before 3NS officially closes, so it isn't as if we are acting too late.

-Seldon

23. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Since 3NS is a private form, what's the harm in keeping it open until the ROTS boards merge with the PT forum? Like Seldon and goodfellas have said, we're a well mannered community and we have great discussions. Quite frankly, I really don't want to have to discuss ROTS in the 3SA where I know very few posters and where also, well, there isn't the same sense of community.

But that's just my 2 cents.

24. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    My general feeling is this:
    After 3NS became a private forum, it almost developed into a different community from the common JC, almost like a different board. The posters have formed more than a community, not to sound trite or cheesy, but almost a family. As a private forum, it doesn't really hurt anyone.

If the moderators are willing to continue, than what is the harm in it? It makes many users happy and is filled with good threads. No need to close it.

-Seldon

25. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Seldon, you just stated my thoughts about this matter better than I could ever manage. I completely agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.