main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[3NS] The Future of it.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth-Seldon, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    I'd love to add to this thread, but, as Jenn (CodeName_Targeter) said, it's already been said better.

So, thank you and I heartily agree. :)

2. Zyrkon

Zyrkon Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2004
    I really love 3NS and I don't see why it can't continue. If the board stays private and the mods continue to choose new members by checking their past posting habits, it could continue to work perfectly as it is right now. After I saw ROTS, I went to 3SA just to have a look and I was frustrated to read threads where half the pages were just bickering and yelling and pointless nitpicking with maybe one or two good posts in between.

3NS could be read-only for non-members.

I don't know. I just don't want to see my favorite forum closed. Seldon did put how we all feel about this in better words but I thought you should know this isn't the wish of 2 or 3 posters but the wish of all the 3NS community.

Thank you.

3. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    I really love 3NS and I don't see why it can't continue.

Because the one reason that makes it a cohesive group ceases to exist.

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Zidious, non-spoilers is why we joined--why we signed up. It isn't what kept us there. That isn't what we are fighting for. In the end it is just a name, just an idea. What kept us there, what keeps us fighting is the community itself. The tight-knit group of people who were initially united by their resistance to spoilers but is truly connected by the topics being discussed, not the intent of the forum.

-Seldon

5. Zyrkon

Zyrkon Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2004
    Yeah, we could easily rename it : "The Star Wars Private Board" or something like that.

6. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Seldon, exactly.

The SA is too big for any type of a community to take form. It would remind me a lot of the JCC, with social cliques (which exist, look at the Sarcasm Knights) instead of a general community feel. This community feel exists in the 3NS. It's a fun place, it's private and out of the way and it wouldn't bother the other boards for it to stay in existance. I know the JC can't be something for every user because of the size of the place, but this is about a group of users, not just one person. We've done something great with the community thats been established, I think it'd be a shame to see it go, especially if it isn't cumbersome to the forums.

7. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Administrators, look at it from a buisness point of view (if you could use that term for the JC.) The community of 3NS is so strong, so tight-knit that if they lose this forum, they will carry (or attempt to carry) discussion onto a different message board. An obvious loss of buisness (not that it is significant, but it would exist.) It would be forcing people to pursue discussion in another place other than the JC (which can't possibly be good for the site.) These are good posters, good users, good discussions. Are you willing to lose that?

Is it worth moving it into inactivity, for that?

-Seldon

8. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

But why do you deserve this (admittedly great-sounding) private board while everyone else has to post in the 3SA?

I'm just not really seeing the logic here. So you made friends and had a great sense of community -- that's wonderful. But surely you knew the 3NS was not going to last forever? And surely you could still maintain these friendships in the 3SA or in Community or on AIM?

Hell, I'd support a "3NS Social Thread" in the 3SA if that would be suffice. But having your own private forum long after ROTS comes out seems excessive.

9. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    But why do you deserve this (admittedly great-sounding) private board while everyone else has to post in the 3SA?

But who is being cheated? Those who went spoiler-free will retain that forum and discuss it with those who they met doing so, and those who chose to not remain spoiler free can continue to discuss it in the forum they started with. It's only been renamed, after all.

It's a private out of the way forum, so it wouldn't affect anyone if it remained in existance. Nobody is losing out on anything except us in this situation, so I don't see why we can't keep what we have.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    dp4m posted on 5/23/05 3:04pm
    I'd like to point out that this ISN'T a new development and had been announced months ago, as I recall.
    [hr][/blockquote]

It's pretty much a given that the NS forum would eventually be merged with the SA forum. Hell, it happened with 2SA/2NS and I assume it happened with whatever system was in place at the time of TPM's release.

11. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

But who is being cheated?

Everyone who won't be allowed access to the forum.

I'm pretty certain this will cause a lot of jealously. What you're asking for is a small, troll-free, well-moderated forum for your own private use. Compared with the large, (sometimes) troll-infested, (ocassionally) not-well-moderated 3SA, and I think it's easy to see why other people might want private forums of their own.

I feel like a bastard for arguing against this, but I just don't think it's practical.

12. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Well, of course, everyone did have the option of asking to be a member of the 3NS. And there are a few spoiled members in there, but it made things interested. Honestly, it's not hurting anyone for the forum to stay open, at least as long as Garth and Windy are willing to keep moding it.

13. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    "Everyone who won't be allowed access to the forum."

As I understand it, almost everyone on this entire forum can join 3NS if they choose. Only trolls aren't allowed, basically. Even those with checkered pasts, but have reformed are allowed in.

It is hardly a selective thing.
    If you want in, you are basically allowed (as I understand it.)

How can anyone be jealous of that?
    If they would like to be part of it, they need only to sign up.

Edit: "I'm pretty certain this will cause a lot of jealously. What you're asking for is a small, troll-free, well-moderated forum for your own private use."

We aren't asking for it, we already have it. Simply, we are asking for the continuation. There is no jealousy, if someone wants in, they can enter. It is well-moderated, it is troll-free, and it is private (with an open door policy)...seems very nice (it is) just allow it to continue.

-Seldon

14. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

But then why go to the 3SA at all? The way you describe it, the 3NS is just a parallel ROTS forum with fewer members and no trolls. It's the bizzaro 3SA.

Why would anyone want to post in the 3SA if they could have that? And if it is indeed an "open door" policy, how would you feel if large numbers of 3SA members joined? Wouldn't that ruin the established community?

EDIT: Oh my, I really butchered the English language with that one.

15. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Honestly, it's not hurting anyone for the forum to stay open, at least as long as Garth and Windy are willing to keep moding it.

But like Griff said, it does seem like a privileged forum for a select portion of the JC, especially since, as I understand it, new members aren't being added to the forum (but admittedly, my knowledge of that is suspect). If it's allowed to continue, why can't a subset of the JCC request the same thing? I wouldn't mind having a private JC forum with a limited population for JCC-type discussion. It just seems that with all the fights to end redundancy, an entire redundant forum seems kind of silly. Unless it's opened up again to the JC at large, since there's no longer any fear of being spoiled, and it's merged with the other Prequel Forums whenever that's supposed to happen, but that won't solve the redundancy problem until then.

Amazing.

16. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    It's not priveleged, it's an established community that we'd rather not have killed off. That's all it is.

This priveleged elitist spin you're putting on it isn't necessary, and its more of a figment of your own imagination than anything. It was made "exclusive" because of fear of trolls, not because of any other reason.

We just want to keep what we have. It wouldn't hurt anyone.

17. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    This is a bit different B. You would be asking for a new forum, one created to showcase a community. We had a forum that was created for specific reasons. Out of that grew a community, a tight-knit group. Now, we are just asking for survival (at least until the ROTS DVD comes out.) To be together to discuss it for a while longer.

There are different cliques in JCC. They form tight-knit groups and often form their own forums (OT for example.) For the OT group or any other clique to ask for a forum would be asking for one because it is a tight-knit group, and the JCC can't be everything for everyone, as the saying goes.

3NS, isn't asking for a forum because we are a tight-knit group. We were given a forum and became a tight-knit group from it. Now the forum is about to be sent to inactivity, and we are asking for the survival of it. We didn't ask for the formation of it, we ask for the survival of it.

There is a difference, though it is a very fine line...and I don't feel that I expressed my point as well as I should've.

-Seldon

18. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    What's wrong with just making it a second social thread for the new RotS forum--there's the Cantina, and a thread we could call "Spoiler Free til Episode 4" or something to that effect for people who were in 3NS? It's easier on the mods and will seem less elitist.

19. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

Now, we are just asking for survival (at least until the ROTS DVD comes out.) To be together to discuss it for a while longer.

But I don't understand why you can't do this at an off-shoot board. Lots of people have them, and they are able to discuss whatever they want with whomever you want. You could only allow the people from the 3NS and then it will be exactly as it used to be (except you could even discuss about topics beyond ROTS).

Why must this be at the JC?

What's wrong with just making it a second social thread for the new RotS forum--there's the Cantina, and a thread we could call "Spoiler Free til Episode 4" or something to that effect for people who were in 3NS? It's easier on the mods and will seem less elitist.

As I said earlier, that is the most sensible alternative if this must be at the JC.

20. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    This priveleged elitist spin you're putting on it isn't necessary, and its more of a figment of your own imagination than anything. It was made "exclusive" because of fear of trolls, not because of any other reason.

It's not that they're trying to make you guys seem elitist, but the fact is people get jealous. If you want to maintain a community, then, as GriffZ said, wouldn't a bunch of 3SAers coming in ruin that anyway? And if you're not going to let new people in, it's going to cause problems. People will ask why you guys get a nice peaceful forum with few problems. After all, if they knew it would turn out to be the forum you're shooting for, they probably would have signed up for it as well.

Basically, right or wrong, keeping it private will cause a BUNCH of Comms threads, while opening it up will let a bunch of random people come in and destroy the community, or whatever, or at least make it like every other board on the JC.
    _jOBO

21. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    It isn't elitist to have a private forum.
    In the beginning, anyone was allowed in it.

Why should we give up all we worked for, the community we built-- and just limit ourselves to a social thread in a forum we don't really care for.

3NS is how things should be on the JC. Sadly, they aren't like that in many places. Why then should we strike down and destroy one of the good places? If the moderators don't mind staying aboard, what is the problem in it?

Edit: The JC is built on things that people view as unfair (even though from a certain POV, they aren't) There will always be users who complain that mods get colors, or titles. Or that people who registered before a certain time can have a space in the username. There are certain awards given out at the conclusion of certain games/contests. Special titles and icons. All of these things could cause some users to become jealous. The fact is that we keep them. I see 3NS as the same way, in some respect. Only to a lesser extent. Users were allowed in before a certain time, and may be allowed in later. No need to complain.

-Seldon

22. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    I'm still confused as to who will complain. GriffZ, Jobo and all, I respect what you say but it seems like a bunch of "what ifs" to me. Has this type of thing happened before(aside from the AC which is different)?

Would it hurt to let us try?

23. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I wish but I don't think its gonna happen.

24. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

The JC is built on things that people view as unfair (even though from a certain POV, they aren't) There will always be users who complain that mods get colors, or titles. Or that people who registered before a certain time can have a space in the username. There are certain awards given out at the conclusion of certain games/contests. Special titles and icons. All of these things could cause some users to become jealous. The fact is that we keep them. I see 3NS as the same way, in some respect. Only to a lesser extent.

Not to nit-pick, but it's to a much lesser extent. Mods need colours to show they are mods and they need titles to explain what forum(s) they moderate. People with spaces in their names are just a reality of the current board code. I don't really like colours/titles given out to game winners, so I'll dodge that one.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that most of the things you listed are either small or are needed. Mods do need to have colours. I realize some people get jealous, but the mods need them. The 3NS, on the other hand, is no longer needed. It was needed when getting spoiled was a concern -- but that isn't a concern for 99% of JCers anymore. You want it to go on because you have friends there, and I understand and sympathize with you. But no one says those friendships must end when the 3NS does. I still have friends from threads long deleted in forums long merged. Friendships will last if you want them to.

Users were allowed in before a certain time, and may be allowed in later. No need to complain.

You've said that before, but you didn't answer my question. How would you feel if a large number of 3SA members joined? Would that not ruin the established community?

(I wish someone else would argue against this, because I feel like a dick. It's nothing personal, guys.)

25. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Don't worry Griff.

It isn't so much a matter of losing friendships. As you've pointed out, they last.

It is more an issue of loosing a good place to discuss topics. The discussions, the community itself will be lost. In 3SA, most of the threads have over 50 posts in them. The place is filled with nameless new members. There is no sense of community.

If some of them joined 3NS, I wouldn't have a problem. However the fact remains that few would. They are content with 3SA. They like that place, and that is the reason they never registered for 3NS.

It is like the difference between a large college and a small college. They both have pros and cons, and it is up to individual taste. I prefer a small place.

That is just me.
    I'm not alone.

-Seldon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.