main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[3NS] The Future of it.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth-Seldon, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    How is the existence of the NS forum hurting you?

Quite simple. A specific forum gets it's own private place to discuss things without having to have everyone else on the net both able to read, and able to add just by registering an account. I'm sure if you offerred it up that those of us who have been a part of Lit for the last 3 or more years would have loved to be able to be able to discuss all the things that we want in a more private and intimate atmosphere. If 3NS gets that, why can't Lit.

For that matter, why can't Fan Fic, or the JCC, or the EUC, or Fan Films, or the Amphitheatre, or individual Fan Forces, or...

Do I really have to go on?

2. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Dingo goes into detail of the precedence. I believe GriffZ elaborated on this as well. That's why we won't do this.

3. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    For that matter, why can't Fan Fic, or the JCC, or the EUC, or Fan Films, or the Amphitheatre, or individual Fan Forces, or...

And to take it a step further, why not the Blue Yoda Society and the other communities on the boards? Why can't they have their own board when the 3NS community gets theirs?

Again, I think the best thing for the 3NS people to do is start their own off shoot board. They can make the community what they want and how they want. They don't have to worry about if what they want to do may go against the TOS, and they can police themselves as far as trolls or whatever goes.

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I can't imagine how much traffic the board lost and how many users were excluded during the lead up to RotS because it was private and the average newb didn't know how to get involved in a private forum.

I doubt it was much. The registration forum was public and alongside the other film forums. The list of registered people was extremely long, if I'm not mistaken.

The real problem was trolls who did drive-by spoilings, spoiling people with thread titles before a moderator could get to it. Making the NSA forum a private board was a resounding success, as I'm pretty sure that unwanted spoilings ceased immediately and permanently after that.

5. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Once 3NSA is merged into 3SA, we could always just have a social thread for 3NSA members

I think it would work nicely

6. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Even that would be tricky because there's no way to enforce who can and cannot post in the thread.

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I agree that we can't keep 3NS private and static.

But what about delaying the merge with 3SA until the DVD release? I know we already sort of discussed this, but thought I'd mention it again.

And thank you Sape, I know you've always understood the need for 3NS.

8. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I want to stay with the regular schedule to allow even more time to bring everyone together as a unified RotS Forum rather than delay the inevitable even longer and potentially make things more awkward with the risk of losing 3NS members.

9. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    What is the "regular schedule" if i may ask?

10. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    But what about delaying the merge with 3SA until the DVD release? I know we already sort of discussed this, but thought I'd mention it again.

The longer they wait, the harder it will be. New people will come in, and they will be mad, because they just got there and now they have to leave. If there's already a set date, it should be stuck to.

11. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    The date, I believe, is June 19th - one month after the release of ROTS.

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Quite simple. A specific forum gets it's own private place to discuss things without having to have everyone else on the net both able to read, and able to add just by registering an account. I'm sure if you offerred it up that those of us who have been a part of Lit for the last 3 or more years would have loved to be able to be able to discuss all the things that we want in a more private and intimate atmosphere. If 3NS gets that, why can't Lit.

Do I really have to go on?

Exactly. I'm sorry if it sounds as if I too am stabbing NSA in the back, but I think it sets an unfortunate precedent to preserve a private nonspoiler forum once the need for it is gone. Technically, it stopped being needed on the 19th, but it's being allowed to continue for a little while to give spoiler-free people a place to discuss how their experience was different than those of spoiled people and to help the community phase itself out gradually. I see no need for it to continue to exist for years after the release date, though. If nothing else, since it's now closed to new members, it would eventually die out by attrition as the current members got tired of posting there.

And also, Mr. P, there is always that other private board you might have heard of. *wink wink nudge* If off-site boards are good enough for Slackers, Refugees, Basers, and OTers, they're good enough for nonspoilers. ;)

Once 3NSA is merged into 3SA, we could always just have a social thread for 3NSA members

I think it would work nicely

Even that would be tricky because there's no way to enforce who can and cannot post in the thread.

It wouldn't have to be enforced that strictly. It would be adequate to preserve the community in one thread. I too think it would be a good idea.

13. Spare_Parts

Spare_Parts Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    What happened to the spoiler free cantina site?

I went there but there's no activated forums?

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think you'll want to contact Garth Maul or Mace Windy about that.

15. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Cantina still exists; it's just moved. Mr. P is pretty much the head Cantina guy at the moment (or the Cantina zerosleep, anyway :D ), so he's the one to go to with questions. Our general stance now is anyone who was a semi-regular poster in NS is approved for membership, assuming no history of trolling or any other such nasty thing.

Go here for the new site: http://cantina.virtualvillagesquare.com/

16. Spare_Parts

Spare_Parts Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    yeah that's the site i went to. It says no activated forums?

17. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    You won't be able to see any of the forums unless you're registered and logged in.

18. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    Yeah, after you register and are approved, you'll be able to see the forums.

P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.