main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA 3rd ed Dungeons & Dragons players wanted...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Saintheart, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    ...Basically, I've opened up my 3rd edition D&D books again. after a long, long hiatus.

Is anyone interested in joining me for D&D? I plan to DM, but if someone else wants to, I'm open to that as well. In other words I'm accepting players, say about 6 or 8 if there's sufficient interest. It'd probably be at my place to start with. As some of you already know, I'm not terribly scary as a person. I'm a bit rusty at D&D, though, so experienced players would be handy, but I'd love to get a couple of new players in as well.

The setting would be the Forgotten Realms (mostly because it's the only sourcebook I've got) and I'm thinking to start people off around the 5th or 6th level as characters, so they don't completely suck at combat (unless the group wants the challenge, of course!)

Let me know, folks. I'd plan to try and get together and roll up characters (or import some if you've got one already who's in retirement) and maybe start the campaign in the one 3-4 hour session, but I'd love to get an idea of numbers first...

EDIT THE FIRST: PM or post here.

EDIT THE SECOND: No, this will not be like the Dead Alewives session. [face_frustrated] :D

2. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    You know what, since I missed all this D&D stuff during my Lego and 80's TV childhood, sign me up as a beginner and I'll learn the ropes from the masters :)

3. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Just think of it as Baldur's Gate without the Awesome Processing Power of the PIII. :D

4. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I played heaps of RPGs in my younger days but D&D was never actually one of them. The majority of fantasy RPGing I did was with the Role Master system which was generally based around Middle Earth (but could easiy be set elsewhere). Used to love it but haven't done it for years. I'm not sure if rolemaster is even around now. Warhammer seems to have more or less taken over in that area (never played that either.

5. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    My first RPG was actually the Fighting Fantasy system, way back in high school. Only had about one or two different stats, and was a hell of a lot of fun. From there I did a bit of 2nd Ed AD&D in Dragonlance, but fell away from it for a while. Until West End Games came out with the Star Wars RPG, which I played a lot at university...d6s abounded there. I played a bit of 3rd ed AD&D about 3 or 4 years ago, as a player really, but the group broke up. I always felt a bit out of place with that bunch mostly because they were about 10 years younger than me...but anyway...I like the Forgotten Realms, well, 'universe' mostly because I read a lot of R.A. Salvatore when I was younger, so I've got a feeling for the world it's based in. Unfortunately I sold all my Star Wars RPG books a few years ago...so I've got a bit of history, though not specifically with a lot of AD&D.

Of all of them, I probably liked Star Wars RPG the most, because it was relatively simple, but I've got the feeling that's only because I played it for a long time. I'm not as familiar with all the nuances of AD&D (and in particular magic is something I've got to look closer at) but I've had a long association with it. 3rd edition AD&D is based around the d20 dice. The Baldur's Gate series (especially II and Throne of Bhaal) is basically 3rd edition Lite, and I've heard reviews that Neverwinter Nights comes pretty close to having the whole system on computer. But I'm feeling like recharging the old imagination batteries.

I'll be honest; I'll probably be relearning stuff as I go, too, which is why I'd like an experienced player or two in case I need to be steered right from time to time. If numbers are down I'll run a character as well: probably just roll up my ever-trusty elven monk with a Ring of Cat's Grace ... mmmmm, 22 Dexterity ... :D :D :D

EDIT: soneil, you're in Kal, aren't you? ... damn ... :D

6. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I did play Neverwinter Nights, so keeping that in mind I shouldn't find it too difficult to get the hang of D&D.

7. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I suppose my introduction to RPGs were a series of books that were sort of like choose your own adventure books with d6s and stat sheets. I think they were called something like tunnels & trolls.

Often wanted to try the starwars one but never knew anyone who was in to it back then. Of course if you all feel like a road trip out here to visit Jedi aztec and I... :p

8. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    Cheers for a great game guys- I'm looking forward to finishing it off.\

And cheers Markage for bringing Street Fighter. E Honda's Dry-Humping move rocks!

9. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    lol, it's funny, ain't it :p

Hopefully next time we can really dive deep into the game ... D&D, that is. I really enjoyed it, if only because I can now understand it!

10. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Agreed. Although if 'Haydn' starts doing "Ya-da!" noises after every creature he brings down, I'll not be impressed. :D

Seriously, thanks for coming along, guys. I'm actually looking at rolling up a Dwarven Paladin to come along with you rather than the fighter I've got right now. I'll check the calendar and see when we can next fit in a session. :D

11. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Awesome!

Just let me know, tiger!

12. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Actually, it's YATA! :p

13. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I now have in my hands season 2 of Battlestar Galactica. Next time we set up D&D, I'll bring it along :)

14. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I take it that's the new season 2. Season 2 of the original sucked. :p
    Can't wait for season 3 of the new one. Like the first season, season 2 has a nice old cliffhanger finish.

15. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Yeah, the new one :p I couldn't be bothered watching it on TEN.

16. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Hopefully when I get my tax check I'll be able to go and grab both seasons of the new one. I didn't really like the ending to season 2, but it'll be interesting to see what they do with season 3.

17. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    It was only recently I watched season 2 of the original series. When I was a kid I loved the series but that was because I never saw any of the second season. There was a reason there were only half as many episodes of that. Bloody awful. I love both seasons of the new one though and I must admit, as a fan of the old one I was very skeptical before I watched the new one. I honestly expected it to be a pile of crap.

18. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    All right boys, I've had another spot open up on my calendar: Saturday afternoon, next weekend (i.e. not tomorrow, but rather next Saturday, 2 September?) How are we placed for that day?

19. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Sounds like a good one to me. I'll let you know if anything comes up, but as far as I know, I'm not at FTI next weekend (two weeks off) so I can attend earlier too :)

20. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    I might be cool for that too.

What time are you starting?

21. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    1:00 pm through about 4:30 pm, as Leith's due at an engagement part shortly thereafter...followed by more patented Kartanym 360 action.

:D

22. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Yes, I now have Call of Duty 2 to add to the mayhem if needs be :p I'll bring along BSG Season 2 aswell :)

23. LBJ

LBJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2004
    What? No Rumble Roses XX??? ha ha.

24. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Cool- just msg me with the address. At this stage I'm sure it'll be cool.

I suppose everyone knows now that I've pro-created?

25. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Same place as last time :)

and no, no rumble roses :p lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.