main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

3rd trilogy survivor

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Obi-Ewan, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    I looked for the thread devoted to this, but couldn't find it.

Lucas at one point considered going beyond 2 trilogies, and the focus of one of the later films would be a character who survived Episode 3. I think I have figured out who this was.

Originally, Leia was not Luke's sister. He did have a sister, but she would have been discovered in a later trilogy, and that it would be devoted to finding her. That's who I think the survivor was to have been: Luke's sister.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wouldn't that seem somewhat indirect a label, though? She'd have only been a newborn at best.

Plus, at that time, there was a longer gap between the first two trilogies, so she may not have even been seen like that.

Also, wasn't another element to that rumor that said-character's survival had something to do with being frozen in carbonite?

Since the character-in-question was supposed to be the villian of the Sequel Trilogy (at least, in the version of the ST Draft where the Emperor was no longer alive), my bet would be on the equivilent of Dooku's character.

None of the other PT villians were menacing enough to be much of a threat to Luke and the Rebels. I mean, as much as I'd love to see Leia sic Han on Nute... ;;D

3. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Could it maybe have been a character who survived RotJ? If Lucas had wanted to make another trilogy, he could have let one of the Sith escape the DSII and carry on the order.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, in one of the 9-film layouts, we know that the Emperor wouldn't have even showed up until the last film, so that is a possibility.

Also, Lucas had said at one point that the Emperor had several Sith serving him (Vader was just the most powerful), so if Lucas had made an ST before he did the PT and made up the "rule of two", it could have been another "Sith Knight".

5. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Since the character-in-question was supposed to be the villian of the Sequel Trilogy (at least, in the version of the ST Draft where the Emperor was no longer alive), my bet would be on the equivilent of Dooku's character.

But in this outline, the Emperor wasn't to appear until a much later Episode. He wouldn't have been in Episode VI, and therefore wouldn't have died. By the time Palpatine was written into ROTJ, the later episodes had been abandoned.

6. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I would have guessed that you meant the Emperor as well.

That being said, the Annotated Screenplays say that in an early outline, Yoda "returned from the Netherworld" and became flesh and blood again. Perhaps this was what you heard?

Otherwise, I think you're going to have to give us a little more information to work on. If the Emperor isn't the one because he wasn't originally planned for Ep.VI, then Luke's sister can't be also, since she wasn't found until Ep. VIII...

Gary Kurtz's Star Wars Memories

Gary Kurtz, who was the producer of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, but not of Return of the Jedi for some unknown reason, has shared with fans what he knows about Lucas' original plans for Star Wars. These were the plans presumably as of the production of Empire:

* EPISODE 6: Leia was to be elected "Queen of her people" leaving her isolated. Han was to die. Luke confronted Vader and went on with his life alone. Leia was not to be Luke's sister.

* EPISODE 7: Third trilogy was to focus on Luke's life as a Jedi, with very few details planned out.

* EPISODE 8: Luke's sister (not Leia) appears from another part of the galaxy.

* EPISODE 9: First appearance of the Emperor.

7. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    gary and GL had a fall out didn't they? i'm trying to remember "Empire Building" when Bunny Alsup left with garry

8. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    To some extent, yes, but I'm not sure what that has to do with this topic. ?[face_plain]

9. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    it's not important, the only indiaction i;ve had of a trilogy of trilogies was from "empire building"

a good book might i add

10. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    >>>Originally, Leia was not Luke's sister. He did have a sister, but she would have been discovered in a later trilogy, and that it would be devoted to finding her. That's who I think the survivor was to have been: Luke's sister.

The only reference that I know of from George Lucas himself on the subject was an interview in Bantha Tracks "on the eve of the release of ESB" (Quote taken from the GL pronouncements thread), in which the character is referred to as male;

BT: At one point there were going to be twelve Star Wars films.

GL: I cut that number down to nine because the other three were tangential to the saga. Star Wars was the fourth story in the saga and was to have been called "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope". But I decided people wouldn't understand the numbering system so we dropped it. For Empire though we're putting back the number and will call it Episode Five: The Empire Strikes Back. After the third film in this trilogy we'll go back and make the first trilogy, which deals with the young Ben Kenobi and the young Darth Vader.

BT: What is the third trilogy about?

GL: It deals with the character who survives Star Wars III and his adventures.

11. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "on the eve of the release of ESB"

"GL: It deals with the character who survives Star Wars III and his adventures."

If this was before ESB, then he's probably referring to Luke. Otherwise, he'd be letting known that Luke survives ROTJ, which would ruin the suspense at the end. Besides, as the list above shows, the third trilogy deals primarily with Luke, so it would fit.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> That being said, the Annotated Screenplays say that in an early outline, Yoda "returned from the Netherworld" and became flesh and blood again. Perhaps this was what you heard? <<

Actually, it was Ben who returned to flesh and blood- Yoda returned as an energy shield protecting Luke from Palpatine's force lightning.

13. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Depends on which draft you read. The one I quoted has Yoda saying that Ben used up all his time in the spirit world. Your draft appears in the A-S as well. ;)

14. Scott3eyez

Aug 1, 2001
    >>>If this was before ESB, then he's probably referring to Luke. Otherwise, he'd be letting known that Luke survives ROTJ...

Possibly, but I find it hard to believe that Lucas would be calling ROTJ "Star Wars III" right after answering a question about the episodic numbering of the films and the 9-film plan.

15. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "I find it hard to believe that Lucas would be calling ROTJ "Star Wars III" right after answering a question about the episodic numbering of the films and the 9-film plan."

But consider what he did for ROTJ. The original working name for it was "Blue Harvest", so no one would know that the next SW film was being filmed. After that, it was called "Revenge of the Jedi" (for a couple of reasons - one of which was to give the clamoring press a name). Lucas didn't give the correct name of the film until after Fox started an advertising campaign for "Revenge of the Jedi".

Star Wars III is an apt name for the "third" film (to be made), in this context.

16. Scott3eyez

Aug 1, 2001
    Could well be, but it just seems odd to me that what must have been literally moments after talking about how "Star Wars was the fourth story in the saga", "Star Wars Episode 4" and "Episode 5", and there being three trilogies planned, he would immediately refer to Episode 6 as "Star Wars III".

If I was interviewing him, I would have asked for some clarification...

17. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "For Empire though we're putting back the number and will call it Episode Five: The Empire Strikes Back. After the third film in this trilogy we'll go back and make the first trilogy"

But right after mentioning ANH and ESB, he says "the third film of the trilogy". He doesn't want to give the name, for several reasons. In this context, he's referring to the third film at that time. Otherwise, I can't imagine what "Star Wars III" could possibly refer to, unless you think that he's referring to a PT character who survives Ep.III. Again, though, that would still be Luke, since all the other main characters from the PT are dead after ROTJ (Anakin, Ben, Yoda, The Emperor, etc.) I doubt he was referring to "baby Luke", rather than "grown-up Luke." ;)

BTW, I would have added Mon Mothma, but Lucas says "his adventures." :D

18. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    This summer's biggest movie:

The Sequel Trilogy:
    Jar Jar's Big Adventure

'Meesa comin' to kicken assa and chew up some bubbly gum.... And meesa all outen o' da bubbly gum!'

'Yousa gotta asken yousen self un question. 'Dosen I feelin' okieday?' Well? Dosen yousa, goobafish?'

'Handa meesa me blasta. It'sen da one dat say 'Bombad ****** ****** on it!'

'Say haloo dahlee to meesa teeny fwiend!'

Oh yeah. It was gonna be big... :cool:

19. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
  20. Kit-Fisto7BA

Kit-Fisto7BA Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2003
    This sequel trilogy would obviously be about Leia,but the story depend on what time it is set in.

21. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Leia and his adventures? :eek:

Is there something we should know about Leia? [face_laugh]

22. Kit-Fisto7BA

Kit-Fisto7BA Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2003
    Oh,his,well hell I don't know.

23. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    [face_laugh] Good answer. :p

24. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Meh, this one works for me.

Upsey Daisey

25. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    It deals with a character that survives episode III, as he said. He clearly states that he won't do them because "the other three were tangential to the saga".

Thus they take place at the same time as IV, V, and VI, and has little to do with those events.

It probably is Jar-Jar. I'd still watch it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.